Looking Good, Feeling Better

jennywren
jennywren Member Posts: 111
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

Hi Ladies, how are you all? I am doing pretty good, round 3 of chemo next Friday and will then be half way through...yay!!

I just wondered if any of you have taken advantage of the "looking good, feeling better" programme run by the cancer council? If not, I would definately recommend you see if there is one in your area and take advantage. I attended last weekend and had so much fun!!

Firstly, you are with about 12 other women, ALL going through exactlt the same as you, so you don't feel alone, abnormal, or "different" Some till have their hair, some wore scarves, and some (probably) were in wigs! I worem wig, but about 20 minutes into the make over decided to take it off as it was easier with my bald head. I whisked it off and one of the volunteers nearly fell over, she thought it was my own hair!!

I had a lot of laughs, picked up some great tips, had a full makeover and came away with about $400 worth of free skin care and make up, all top of the range, este lauder, cliniquie, clarins etc!

But the main thing was, I had fun! I was also blown away by the fact that these workshops are run in every state, in 22 countries in the world, and in Perth alone this year, there are 96 workshops being run. It just shows, HOW MANY women are undergoing chemotherapy!

The volunteers are all beauticians and give their time freely and all the make up is donated by the cosmetic industry. I just can't speak highly enough of the programme!

Anyway girls, I washed my hair last night...so time to go put it on!! And off to the shops....Have a great weekend...keep smiling...and stay strong :) xxx

Comments

• jennywren
    edited March 2015

PS..I should have checked my spelling before posting this..Was in a hurry and there are lots of mistakes..sorry!!

• jennywren
    edited March 2015

PS..I should have checked my spelling before posting this..Was in a hurry and there are lots of mistakes..sorry!!

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

You still can go but it is usually more beneficial when you really need a "pick meup" - during treatment but who doesn't need a "pick me up" when it is all over.  It is really worthwhile and you will have so much fun.  I whipped off my headgear too so that I could try on the wigs.XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

You still can go but it is usually more beneficial when you really need a "pick meup" - during treatment but who doesn't need a "pick me up" when it is all over.  It is really worthwhile and you will have so much fun.  I whipped off my headgear too so that I could try on the wigs.XLeonie

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

Hi Jenny - sounds like it was fun.  I am booked in to go next week.  I am looking forward to it.  I have felt ok self esteem wise but this chemo has knocked me with fatigue and I have a bit of the blues so it's good timing.  I should be feeling pretty good next week for it. I have been told I can take a friend - did you take anyone with you?

Amanda xx

• jennywren
    edited March 2015

Hi Amanda, I am sure you will enjoy it. I have felt ok too self esteem wise and am happy in either my wig or scarves, but like you I get very fatigued. I ocassionally get the blues but try real hard to rise above it...easier said than done. My husband loves me to bits, but sometimes when i am in bed with my little night cap I feel so "unsexy" and I am even more worried how I will feel after my mastectomy. I know he says he loves me any which way, it's me who is the doubter!! I would be lost without him!

I took a friend to LGFB but they just watch, they can't participate, but it is nice to have some support. Let me know how you go xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

I know just how you feel Jenny.I didn't like my husband to see me bald so wore a cap to bed.I wear loose pjs,won't go naked cos of the mastectomy.My poor hubby knows not to touch the left side of my chest.It's great they still love us so much but you can't help feeling a little sad for what you've lost.

Tonya xx

• Jacqueline
    Jacqueline Member Posts: 106
    edited March 2015

I am hoping that there is one of those Looking Good Feeling Better workshops around my area or where I have to go for chemo it sounds really good, ihave seen it advertised on TV.

Tonya I have no worries about my lost boob but I am not comfortable with the baldness when it comes to my hubby and like you Jenny I am the doubter even though he constantly reassures me and tells me how good I look every time I leave the house I can't help telling myself that he is bias.

Thanks for the info on the LGFB, this is really a great network.

Jacqui

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

Jacqui - They hav a website - http://www.lgfb.org.au/

You can look on there where the workshops are run and I think you can even book online.  I booked through my BC nurse.

I'll let you know what it's like.

Amanda xx

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

The workshops are terrific.  You will have a lot of fun as well.  Big bonus, the products are all very good brands and you get to take them home.  You will be loaded up with lots of good things that will make you want to give yourself a make-over every day.  I do - my skin is sparkling!!XLeonie

• robsue
    robsue Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2015

hello to all , whilst in melbourne having radation my aunty and l went to feeling good ,look better it is amazing  l through the whole process of chemo and radation would not look in the mirror and had very low self esteme, my aunty decided that we were going and we had a wonderful time the people you meet and the ladies that teach you are great they dont push you in to anything you dont want to do { they said  it would be good if we could take off scarfs wigs and l bursted in to tears cause nobody had seen me with no hair and l was so scared so no the wig stayed on} after learning how to apply makeup and how to different things with scarfs l so happy and l walked out felling good bout myself, from that day on l wear makeup everyday  , l have take my wig of and  wear my new hair with pride {took bit to get use to}  make up on and ready to go

l recommend this to anyone going through breast cancer

• robsue
    robsue Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2015

hello to all , whilst in melbourne having radation my aunty and l went to feeling good ,look better it is amazing  l through the whole process of chemo and radation would not look in the mirror and had very low self esteme, my aunty decided that we were going and we had a wonderful time the people you meet and the ladies that teach you are great they dont push you in to anything you dont want to do { they said  it would be good if we could take off scarfs wigs and l bursted in to tears cause nobody had seen me with no hair and l was so scared so no the wig stayed on} after learning how to apply makeup and how to different things with scarfs l so happy and l walked out felling good bout myself, from that day on l wear makeup everyday  , l have take my wig of and  wear my new hair with pride {took bit to get use to}  make up on and ready to go

l recommend this to anyone going through breast cancer

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Is when you feel okay and will enjoy the experience.  I was booked in whilst having radiotherapy - at the end - but got really sick so postponed it until I felt well enough.  I went during my chemo sessions = made sure it was my good week.  No point in going if you are sick - it needs to be a fun time so that you can make yourself feel better on the bad times. XLeonie

• Jacqueline
    Jacqueline Member Posts: 106
    edited March 2015

I have registered for the workshop in July that is the next one that is in the closet town to me and that is the only one until around Sept I think so if all goes well it will be my good week as long as I am on time with the chemo each time and don't have any delays.

Sept wouldn't be good I don't think as I will be having radiotherapy by then.

Thanks for your input uch appreciated.

jacqui