Trying to stay positive

Elena
Elena Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi,

This is my first venture in the world of blogging. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer 16 years ago. I was 38 years old. I had a lumpectomy to my right breast followed by radio therapy. I declined chemo as it was early detection and all the lymph nodes removed were clear.

Following a recent routine mamnmogram a suspicious area was found in the left breast and on 4/9/14 after a FNB and a core biopsy was done I was told another cancer has started - same area, different side. Same feelings and emotions came flooding back - why me, not again....

Anyway, it appears to be early stages and was told the cancer has lobular teatures. I will be having surgery (lumpectomy again) on the 16/10/14. I know procedures have changed in 16 years and this time surgery will be targeting the sentinal node only.

I am trying to stay postive and put on a brave face - mainly for my family, but when I have a quiet momemt to myself - I have to admit that I'm scared. 

Thankyou in advance to anyone who reads this and responds. I am usually a very pragmatic and very calm person and I know I will be ok - but i guess I just want to be reassured.

Elena

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015

Hi you wouldn't be normal if you wern't scared. I remember when I was told I kept thinking this cant be happenning to me, that was 8 months ago. I didn't think I woud cope and also thought the despair woud take over, but you know what Iam stronger than I thought I was and so are you, its not the best trip I have been on but I'm getting there. Tomorrow I'm heading back to work another step forward, Take each day 1 at a time and give yourslf a break .

• Luminarylucy
    Luminarylucy Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Hi Elena
    I'm sorry this has happened to you again. I'm sorry you feel scared. I feel scared too. It's horrible.
    You are not alone with what you are going through. My mum has been through a similar experience. She had breast cancer in 1999 and had a lumpectomy and radiation. In 2012 another breast cancer was found. It was not a recurrence, but a new one. This time she had a mastectomy. A bit different to yourself as it was in the same breast so she could not have radiation therapy on the same area. As it had not spread to any lymph nodes either time she didn't have chemotherapy. Good news is nearly 2 years on, my mum is fine, just missing her breast. She had depression with the first one but copied better the second time around. Now she is my on-call 24/7 nurse and I couldn't get through this without her. I hope this helps a little to have shared her experience with you. I hope you feel a little more reassured. Best wishes.
  • Luminarylucy
    edited March 2015
    Hi Elena
    I'm sorry this has happened to you again. I'm sorry you feel scared. I feel scared too. It's horrible.
    You are not alone with what you are going through. My mum has been through a similar experience. She had breast cancer in 1999 and had a lumpectomy and radiation. In 2012 another breast cancer was found. It was not a recurrence, but a new one. This time she had a mastectomy. A bit different to yourself as it was in the same breast so she could not have radiation therapy on the same area. As it had not spread to any lymph nodes either time she didn't have chemotherapy. Good news is nearly 2 years on, my mum is fine, just missing her breast. She had depression with the first one but copied better the second time around. Now she is my on-call 24/7 nurse and I couldn't get through this without her. I hope this helps a little to have shared her experience with you. I hope you feel a little more reassured. Best wishes.
  • Luminarylucy
    edited March 2015
    Hi Elena
  • Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

Thankyou,

I'm usually a pretty positive person and I don't let many things get to me. This came totally out of the blue, particularly when I thought breast cancer was all behind me 16 years on. I just needed to write down some thoughts to ladies who can relate - and as you say one day at a time. Glad to hear you are getting stronger - Take care. Elena