newly diagnosed

Kylou76
Kylou76 Member Posts: 31
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 37 yr old mother of 2 beautiful children, a 9 yr old daughter and a 6 yr old son. On 30th July I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Initially my head was spinning and I was more emotional than I ever have been (including pregnancy) but after speaking to my breast care nurse I seem to be getting my head around it (well as much as you can).

I have been to see my surgeon and he has booked me in for a  MRI because I have  Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. I have rather large boobs.... g cup and he is advising a breast reduction type surgery. Has anyone had this type of surgery?

Thanks

Comments

• BC at 32
    BC at 32 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

hi there, 

Short answer, no I haven't but I've had 2 x wide excisions (lumpectomies) then chemo and now just had bilateral masectomy (with reconstruction underway too).

Good luck babe, i'm in Brisbane and have really loved the expert and professional support and advice from my medical team and support services of Choices at Wesley Hospital (for any patients) and Cancer Council, etc.

Take care and ask questions, get second opinions if you want, and feel comfortable with your treatment plan and team! There is a great chance that most of us have a fantastic recovery and get on with being happy and healthy!!

Please feel free to inbox me if you want more info, etc.

oxxox
  • BC at 32
    BC at 32 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

hi there, 

Short answer, no I haven't but I've had 2 x wide excisions (lumpectomies) then chemo and now just had bilateral masectomy (with reconstruction underway too).

Good luck babe, i'm in Brisbane and have really loved the expert and professional support and advice from my medical team and support services of Choices at Wesley Hospital (for any patients) and Cancer Council, etc.

Take care and ask questions, get second opinions if you want, and feel comfortable with your treatment plan and team! There is a great chance that most of us have a fantastic recovery and get on with being happy and healthy!!

Please feel free to inbox me if you want more info, etc.

oxxox
  • Judy_H
    Judy_H Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

Hi Kylou76,

Your head must STILL be spinning with such new news...I'll never forget the moment I heard those words and from there I seemed to enter into a whirlwind of emotion and activity.

I, like you, was recommended to have a breast reduction at the time of my lumpetomy because of my large size. My Breast surgeon is also a plastic surgeon and she had done this operation successfully many times. She said it would make everything much easier in the future especially coping with the ongoing effects of Radiotherapy (often causing shrinkage on the side of the treatment). Anyway, it seemed the right thing to do.

I had my surgery on 21st Dec 2011, it lasted 5 hrs. I had a wide local excision on my right breast to remove the cancer, a sentinal node biopsy- removing 2 lymph nodes, a reduction on both right and left breasts and 2 other small lumps (not so suspicious) removed from the left breast. What a whirlwind! I was pleased when the surgery was over, but then the recovery began...all up probably about a metre worth of cuts to heal...the most painful areas being the re-placed areolas and nipples. The new smaller boobs are definitely a plus- I came down 3 cup sizes. Its a huge operation but I've found it definitely worthwhile.

If you'd like to ask anything please feel free.

Thinking of you and I'll be praying for you as you begin this unplanned journey.

Judy x

• Kylou76
    edited March 2015

Thanks everyone, I had my MRI yesterday and saw my surgeon this afternoon and I have the forms to book into hospital. My left breast is completely free so that's a blessing and he is confident that he will be able to remove enough breast tissue and tumour by doing the reduction. I have one lymph node that is enlarged so it will come out as well. I'll have the x-ray on the day of surgery to make sure others are affected.

I spoke to my children on Tuesday night and told them everything.... the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Thankfully my 6yr old son is a typical boy and lives in his own world. My daughter took the news hard but she had suspected something was wrong. Like me she needs time to get her head around it all.

Thank you all for your comments, they have helped immensely. I wish you all the best xx

• Judy_H
    edited March 2015
    Great to hear your progress Kylou76...it will definitely take time to get your head around it. It's a journey for everyone, just remember, one step at a time.
    It sounds like you are in good hands.
    All the best for your surgery. Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Judy x
  • Bosom Buddy
    Bosom Buddy Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi,

I was interested in your response with the Surgeon suggesting a reduction, I am too a large boob girl with being a 20DD. The surgeon had never suggested any reductions to me when facing lumpectomies. I am now 10 months on from radiotherapy and seeing the difference in the size of my cancer breast compared to my other non-cancer.

Would you mind telling me what size you were before and what size you are now? And how do they know what size to make your non-cancer breast so it was same size as the other one after treatment?

Jan x

• Bosom Buddy
    edited March 2015

Hi Kylou76,

I was wondering how you are travelling? I am also concerned at how your kids are handelling it all?

My kids were 11 and 8 both girls at the time and one is quieter and the other very reactive emotionally. I bought them the book available at the store online here at BCNA "my mummy has breastcancer" and found it very helpful.

The other person who suffered silently and a lot of people forgot about was my husband. he was very scared at what was happening and having to deal with the kids, me and take over after my treatment, he really needed support to.

All the best,

Jan x

• Judy_H
    edited March 2015

Hi Jan,

Before my surgery I was a 14 EE and after I was a C on my non cancer breast and a C/D on the cancer breast. The surgeon deliberately left the right size larger allowing room for shrinkage. Im two and half years post surgery now and the surgeon says Im still in my 'swelling phase' though I am noticing that there is less obvious difference in size now.

Judy

• Kylou76
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I disappeared there for a while, I've been busy having all the scans and tests needed to start chemo, and I also have had a port-a-cath put in. Hell they hurt more than the breast surgery.

Bosom Buddy, the kids seem to be doing well. I have spoken to them honestly about each step as we take it. I have asked my daughter if she would like to be the one to cut off my ponytail before I shave my head. I'm doing this the day after I start chemo because the kids are going away to their grandparents for 10 days during the school holidays and I don't want them to leave with me having hair and to come back to me not having hair.

They seem to have their moments, my son is a typical boy and is asking lots of questions about cancer... I honestly think he likes to say the words breast cancer, he will drop it into any conversation he can.

My hubby has been wonderful but tries to take on too much, I keep telling him to let me do things while I can because there will be a time that I'm unable to do as much. Luckily we have a very supportive community around us. The benefits of living in a small country town, we have a freezer full of food and people lining up to look after the kids.

Another person who has been doing it tuff has been my mother, she finds that by coming to appointments with me helps her understand the process of what I'm going through.

I'm starting chemo tomorrow morning, I'm doing 3 cycles of Fluorouracil, Epirubicin, Cyclophosphamide and 3 cycles of Docetaxel.

Anyone have any tips on managing the side effects of these?

Thank you so much for your support xxx

• Bosom Buddy
    edited March 2015

Hi Kylou76,

How are you coping with the chemo?

Have you had some difficult side effects?

Are you in contact with a McGrath Breast Nurse who can help you with the side effects?

Sorry so many questions I know!

Trust you are coping and your lovely family

Bless You,

Jan

• Kylou76
    edited March 2015

Hi Jan,

I'm doing ok, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

I have my second cycle next Tuesday.

For the first 3 or 4 days I felt like I had a bit of a hangover, that fogy head feeling and the do I or don't I want to eat feeling. I also had a lot of fatigue in the first week ad it shocked me as to how quickly I would lose my energy. The second week has been completely different, I feel back to normal. I have been lucky in the sense that I haven't lost any sense of taste.

I shaved my head the day after I started chemo because my children were going away for the school holidays and I didn't want to take the chance of them coming back to me having lost my hair. it was a fun experience, my daughter cut my ponytail off and my son shaved the back of my head, there were lots of laughs. I'm slowly starting to lose my hair now, it hasn't been in patches, just thinning. If I tug on it i come away with lots, so I'm trying not to do that. I think I'll go and get it all shaved off over the weekend.

If I can stay feeling this good I am blessed but if not I'll handle it as it comes, during this journey I have discovered that I'm a glass half full person and that there are silver linings in most situations, sometimes you just have to look that little bit harder.

Thank you for your support and I hope you are well.

Kylie xxx