Hair is gone

tess44
tess44 Member Posts: 8
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Well a full week of work was achieved and another birthday came and went :-). As I was going to lose it my hair anyway I thought I would have a charity drive for the Cancer Council and let my staff have some fun shaving my hair off and give me a Mohawk. Last night I was thinking OMG what have I done agreeing to this I might be that small percentage that get to keep their hair. Well fast forward to this morning and on day 10 the hair was coming out in droves this morning.

My awesome organisation in 3.5 days raised over $600. I feel very blessed where I work as I am well supported and cared about. Mind you I think some of my staff had just a tad bit to much fun in this process - the clippers over the ear was not a highlight for me lol. Statements such as "you look so much younger" and my response "yeah that's cause old people do not have purple mohawks".

Rather endure my hair falling out by myslef I was surrounded by supportive, caring people who through their efforts made the process almost enjoyable.

I thought this is ok and then I went to go home. Well.......let me tell you a Mohawk this height does not fit into a car very well so I had to drive with my head on the side. The amount of people in their cars who pointed at me and laughed was much more than I thought. My particular favourite is a car with a group of young men in it that yelled out "hey granny your to old to have a Mohawk". Ahh the charming youth of today.

So I come home and ask the partner where are the clippers so I can shave the Mohawk off. Response "what clippers" pfft so I had to cut most of it off with scissors until I track down some clippers. With no hair I can now try on the wig to see what its like. Still needs to go to hairdresser for personalisation but I may be ok with it but it will be hard to choose between the wig and the cool hats and scarves I have. Too many choices lol.

So other than some exhaustion, couple of ulcers in the mouth and sore bones I'm feeling pretty good. The weekend has been booked for sleep so I can get through another full work week. 9 days till next chemo treatment - am not looking forward to it but fingers crossed if I only get 4 days per 3 week cycle then I can survive this horrible treatment.

Hello weekend goodbye working week :-)

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    This is a great blog post! You certainly have a good outlook,and it does help if you can see the bright side in situations!I actually enjoyed having no hair,and like you,I loved my hats and scarves and turbans.It makes showering so quick,and getting ready to go out is a breeze!I hope you get some good rest this weekend.Take care.xoxRobyn .Btw,you must be a valued employee for everyone at your work to be so supportive :)
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    We would never choose to have breast cancer but we sure can choose how to deal with it! You are obviously an open, caring and enterprising person. What a terrific way of dealing with one of the most upsetting parts of chemo. Hope you have a lovely weekend and that the next chemo is no worse for you.
    Take care. Deanne xxx
    PS I found getting through chemo was easier for me if I kept finding something to look forward to. Sounds like just going to work is something you enjoy most days!
  • Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015

Good on you for adopting such an upbeat and positive approach to your chemo journey.  This is going to hold you in very good stead in moving through this process.  Before you know it you will be having your final chemo and I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is knowing you don't have to go back for more. 

I hope you have a good weekend with plenty of rest and that you continue to manage going to work.  It sounds like you enjoy your job very much.

Best wishes

Joy

• Bearteggie
    edited March 2015

Good on you for adopting such an upbeat and positive approach to your chemo journey.  This is going to hold you in very good stead in moving through this process.  Before you know it you will be having your final chemo and I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is knowing you don't have to go back for more. 

I hope you have a good weekend with plenty of rest and that you continue to manage going to work.  It sounds like you enjoy your job very much.

Best wishes

Joy

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Thought I would just jump in here and ask how you are doing Joy? XoxRobyn
  • Bearteggie
    edited March 2015

Thank you Robyn that is very kind of you to enquire how I am going.  I had my final chemo just over three weeks ago and have stated my radiotherapy (2 rounds of 25). 

I am going pretty well and feeling much better now that chemo is behind me.  I think I can even see some growth in my hair lol.  Still have a way to go though - had appointment with my surgeon and I asked him what he thought about me having my other breast removed.  It so happens that he has just returned for a Surgeons Conference in Singapore where he learned that women who have a single mastectomy, like me and then go on to have the other side taken lower their risk of BC returning by up to 45%.  He feels this is significant so I am thinking that once I am all healed from radiotherapy, say October, I will let him book me in for surgery. 

I am happy with how quickly the time seems to be passing and I think I have come to a place of acceptance of where I am in life at the moment.  My job is to do everything I can to recover physically and stay emotionally grounded. 

How are you travelling Robyn?  Are you getting stronger and stronger every day?  I hope all is well with you.

Big hugs

Joy xx 

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    I am going ok thanks Joy.All my little niggles at the moment aren't cancer related,so that's good.I am seeing my surgeon in June,and I want to ask about having the other breast removed.I wish I knew before my mastectomy,how I would be feeling now! For me it is just a nuisance each day,always being so aware of just having one breast.It would make my life so much easier I am sure.Nice to hear from you Joy,and I marvel each day,that here we are ,not even one year after diagnosis,all beginning to get back on with our lives!!Stay in touch:). Robyn xox