Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Afinitor to be added to the PBS

Kathy_BCNA
Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

I am pleased to let you know that the breast cancer drug Afinitor (everolimus) will be added to the PBS on 1 June this year.

Afinitor is a drug for women with hormone-receptor positive, HER2-negative secondary breast cancer. It is used with Aromasin (exemestane) when the breast cancer has stopped responding to hormone therapy alone.

Afinitor is a tablet, so doesn't have many of the side effects of IV chemotherapy (which is the alternative treatment).  It also means you can take it at home, instead of having to go to a hospital or oncology unit.

Afinitor has been available in Australia since 2012, but has not been listed on the PBS. We know some women are already receiving treatment with it.

You can read BCNA's submission in support of PBS-listing of Afinitor in the Submissions and reviews pages of our website. You can also read our media statement in the News pages.

Take care everyone,

Kathy

Comments

• Maggiemaw
    Maggiemaw Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

I was pleased to get the message saying that Afinitor will be listed on the PBS on 1/6/2014.  I had heard of this drug and how expensive it was and was therefore unaffordable to me.  My Oncologist mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago as a possible treatment for me if needed as I am sensitive to all of the drugs I have been on except Carboplatin which I had been on for 2 years but have now ceased.  He didn't say that it would be listed on the PBS. 

I have had 1 cycle of CMF and so far so good but it's early days.  Originally I was ER+ and Her2-.  He is now saying I'm Triple Neg and I have yet to ask questions about what this means to me and how did he find out.

Thanks again, I appreciate the information.

Maggiemaw

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015

Hi Maggie

Thanks for your comment. Your medical oncologist may not have known Afinitor was being listed on the PBS when you saw him - it was only announced by the Health Minister on 24 April.

There is a patient access program run by the drug company that provides Afinitor at a reduced price, or free of charge. If you need Afinitor before 1 June, your oncologist can apply for you to receive it through the program. It is only useful for ER+ breast cancers however so if you are triple negative it won't suit you.

It wasn't eribulin that your doctor mentioned?

Kathy

• Maggiemaw
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

He definitely said Everolimus to his Practice Nurse in my hearing but I will be seeing him next Tuesday and will put the question to him.  I'll let you know what he says.

Margaret

• Maggiemaw
    edited March 2015

Hi Kathy

He definitely said Everolimus to his Practice Nurse in my hearing but I will be seeing him next Tuesday and will put the question to him.  I'll let you know what he says.

Margaret

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

I am in this category....down the track when the Arimidex may stop working this will give me another option.  Thanks to all involved in this process. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

I am in this category....down the track when the Arimidex may stop working this will give me another option.  Thanks to all involved in this process. XLeonie

• ShadyLady
    ShadyLady Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Great news that this drug will be another arrow in the bow to help us fight this disease. My oncologist mentioned that if Femara stopped working for me - it would be the next port of call.

Thanks for the efforts of the organisation in providing submissions - I know it's a time consuming effort.

Linda
  • arie
    arie Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

I started on Afinitor/Aromasin in Jan 14 and the results so far are fantastic. My marker has gone from 220 to 70, and generally I feel better than I have felt for the years of chemo,and drugs. Very expensive for the masses, great that it will be pbs.

• Maggiemaw
    edited March 2015

Seems I will need a liver biopsy to ascertain whether I have changed from er+ to triple neg.  At this stage I'm not willing to take the risk and will just wait and see what other options I am offered.  Great news for those who are er+ and wonderful effort by the team.

Maggie