Someone to chat with

12345679»

Comments

• Debbie J
    Debbie J Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2015

Thank you, it  is such a concern to me at this stage knowing what is the right way to go. I will  be glad when I finally get to speak with the oncologist next week, I am just going on what my surgeon told me. Big hugs Debbie. xxx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015

I had a lumpectomy and full node clearance back in 2003,followed by 6wks radiation.I was supposed to take Tamoxifen but it didn't agree with me then.I tried for 10wks and also tried other drugs but they made me feel dreadful.I was only 47 and hadn't hit the menopause yet and that might be why I couldn't tolerate Tamoxifen.So after 7yrs cancer came back in the same spot.Even though they got clear margins in 2003, must have been a stray cell lying around.I really didn't think I'd be in the unlucky 8%that gets it again.Even with a mastectomy there is a 1% chance of it coming back on the scarline apparently.I've had some chemo and am now on Tamoxifen since last August.It seems to be agreeing with me this time.I'm not having reconstruction for the time being cos I'm paranoid about a recurrence along my scar.But don't let my insecurities influence you!

Tonya xx

• Custard
    Custard Member Posts: 417
    edited March 2015

Hi Debbie,

I was almost 53 when I was diagnosed with 2 tumours and invasion into the lymph glands. I had a total mastectomy of the left breast and chemotherapy. It is not the way I would have like to celebrate my son's wedding but I attended bald. (Wore a hat to the service and the wig to the reception). Seven years on this week and going strong.

If you send me your email address I can send you a few pics of then and now.

It is very energy sapping, but take all the assistance and help offered. You will see another side of people, and accept that you need a bit of help just now! That was hardest thing as I am very independent and a "super woman"- or so I thought ha ha. I felt guilty for my family and betrayed by my body.

We really have no choice but to go through whatever surgery and treatments they offer and DO attend counselling/psychological sessions if you feel the need. Also Look Good Feeling Better was amazing!!

You are not alone, and the gilrs in BCNA, and there are many thousands of us, are here!!

Thinking of you, chin up,

Mandy

• Christine Denniss
    Christine Denniss Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2015

Hi Lynne,

I live in Bundaberg. I am about to go to my GP to request a refereal to my breast surgeon to remove the other breast.  I asked my McGrath Nurse about it and my Oncologist and they both said because I have a size F breast I am very lopsided and the breast surgeon should not have a problem with removing it. It will probably be November this year. I am looking forward to it actually because I have a lot of pain in my back for compensating for the weight of the other breast.

I hope this is a help to you.

Take Care

Chrissy D xoxo

• Lyn11
    Lyn11 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2015

Hi Chrissy. I , very unexpectedly was called in on a last minute cancellation so have had my reconstruction. I had a few problems with the piece under the breast dying off so i have a weenie sausage hard bit inside but overall I am so happy. It is quite a bit smaller than the left side but I dont mind. I just love my new shape and I even intend buying a pair of togs!!!

I hope your op goes well. All the best,

Lynne

• Christine Denniss
    Christine Denniss Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2015

Good for you Lynne,

Just in time for swimming. Excellent.

Chrissy

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015

I have bought my swimmers!!! I went shopping Thursday night and bought a lovely black and white pair. They haven't seen water yet but that is the next step. I haven't had togs for many, many years and this year my grandkids can go swimming with me for the first time! I love my new shape even with the scars! Sop there is life after BC

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015

You're going well Mona. Each day you are getting further away from the BC. I am over 3 years now and I am feeling the best I have ever felt There is life after BC and I know you will find it too. I found that my support group was crucial to my cure and I can't stress to people enough that you need to have someone to talk to that has been through it all. Family and friends can be really helpful and supportive but they don't fully understand or appreciate what you are going through.

Take care,

Lynne

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015

You're going well Mona. Each day you are getting further away from the BC. I am over 3 years now and I am feeling the best I have ever felt There is life after BC and I know you will find it too. I found that my support group was crucial to my cure and I can't stress to people enough that you need to have someone to talk to that has been through it all. Family and friends can be really helpful and supportive but they don't fully understand or appreciate what you are going through.

Take care,

Lynne

• Vhalvo
    Vhalvo Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Hi Debbie , I made the choice of mastectomy as the mammogram showed a spindle cell cancer but there were some other possible calcifications closer to my nipple. I didn't want to be forever wondering if they were going to be cancerous so my husband and looked at each other and I made the decision to have a mastectomy. My dr said she always takes three lymph nodes based on a sentinel node mapping test just before my op. This was a needle injected in my breast and a blue dye injected . This shows which lymph nodes are more likely to have any cancer cells travel down them. Much better than taking all. Ended up with five lymph nodes taken and all were clear as with the breast tissue. But my cancer is metaplastic and quite rare so referred to oncologist who said owing the nature of this nasty aggressive cancer she wants me to have 6 sessions of chemo three weeks apart. Start Tuesday. Just had a port placed in my chest as veins are not great. It is all a blur being sent for PET scans, heart scans bone scans but I trust my medical team and have had wonderful support. Hubby has given up work and comes everywhere. Sometimes waiting for four to five hours at a time while I have tests. I'm very blessed. Good luck
  • JJoy
    JJoy Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015

Hi Vhalvo

The post you replied to is quite old - so incase you haven't heard from anyone - I wish you all the best - I had three years of treatment, and God willing am on the road to recovery, though I wasn't expecting a brain aneurysm (nothing to do with BC) that they discovered by accident so had to travel over 300 k's to the city to have that op - but have put that behind me, so basically you are at the beginnning of your journey, and it's all very scary and you will have times where you are emotional - it is most understandable so don't hesitate to get on here and vent - us ladies have all done it and it helped us through - you will get heaps of support, so hang in there kiddo - sending hugs and lots of love from me (Josie) x x x