The Reality of Strong Women - Cancer Survivors like you & me

chemostyle
chemostyle Member Posts: 150
edited March 2011 in General discussion

Hi Ladies,

I've came across this "The Scar Project" after my Mastectomy.  I think it was during my Chemotheraphy.  Anyway, I was emotionally touched, and seeing the photos helped me feels that I wasn't the only one facing this. Then, I often ask myself "Why ME?" and "Why Me?".  Very sad I know ... but it is the REALITY .. we are feel sad.  

The unfortunate reality is that there are so many of us.  We are the REALITY of today's modern society.  

Be prepare the portraits are very RAW.   Get your tissue box ready, have a big cry and release your emotions.  As you don't have to be strong all the time ... you are just you ...

http://www.thescarproject.org/

http://www.thescarproject.org/gallery.html

"The SCAR Project is a series of large-scale portraits of young breast cancer survivors shot by fashion photographer David Jay. Primarily an awareness raising campaign, The SCAR Project puts a raw, unflinching face on early onset breast cancer while paying tribute to the courage and spirit of so many brave young women."

Women are quite a strong species...aren't we!

-chemostyle

Comments

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

I am a photographer - I have breast cancer.  A few weeks ago, the day after I was diagnosed I went to a seminar - to escape, to be with other photographers, to look at and hear about beautiful images.  Two presentations blew me away - I will talk only about one -  a beautiful woman, Fiona, a photographer and BC survivor presented her images of HOPE - images of herself and others at various stages on this journey.  I wasn't ready for this.  i saw Fiona's images last year at the Australian awards judging and was touched my how raw and real they were - intensely beauitful but moreso intensely powerful.  I cried - others were crying too but I cried because that was going to be me - the woman with the scar and now hair, the woman with the picture on the mantle full of youth, exuberance and ignorance - now replaced my a woman who knows too much, who is full of fight but perhaps also fear, no longer innocent or naive.  

I just looked at these images and the first thing I saw in each image was the woman's eyes, her beauty, her soul and then I saw the scars.  Work like this is important.  It is confronting and not for everyone but I get a bit sick of the Breast Cancer is the "in" disease thing - that's fine if you haven't got it.  As the author of the project says - BC is not a pink ribbon.  Thank you so much for sharing.  

Amanda 

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

I am a photographer - I have breast cancer.  A few weeks ago, the day after I was diagnosed I went to a seminar - to escape, to be with other photographers, to look at and hear about beautiful images.  Two presentations blew me away - I will talk only about one -  a beautiful woman, Fiona, a photographer and BC survivor presented her images of HOPE - images of herself and others at various stages on this journey.  I wasn't ready for this.  i saw Fiona's images last year at the Australian awards judging and was touched my how raw and real they were - intensely beauitful but moreso intensely powerful.  I cried - others were crying too but I cried because that was going to be me - the woman with the scar and now hair, the woman with the picture on the mantle full of youth, exuberance and ignorance - now replaced my a woman who knows too much, who is full of fight but perhaps also fear, no longer innocent or naive.  

I just looked at these images and the first thing I saw in each image was the woman's eyes, her beauty, her soul and then I saw the scars.  Work like this is important.  It is confronting and not for everyone but I get a bit sick of the Breast Cancer is the "in" disease thing - that's fine if you haven't got it.  As the author of the project says - BC is not a pink ribbon.  Thank you so much for sharing.  

Amanda