Pre surgery hello

Options
rivergum
rivergum Member Posts: 133
edited November 2013 in Newly diagnosed

Hello sisters, I have joined the club. 

I'm 48, single mum of three, one at uni, VCE and 14yr old at home. Ex around the corner has them for a couple of nights this week so I can study. Very lucky to have him close by.

I'm supposed to be swotting up for three psychology exams this week, but I keep popping in and checking out the inspiring/reassuring posts that you wonderful people put up here. It's tough being diagnosed with something you just don't expect. Thoroughly upends plans for a little while.

I'm in for surgery on Monday, studying for exams is keeping me occupied except when I disappear off into breast cancer info campaigns. 

It's a 28mm ductal carcinoma in situ with axillary node involvement. Lumpectomy with axillary node clearance, radiation and chemo for later. Luckily it's my left arm.

You know what I'm really worried about? Whether I'll be able to do that single arm support stand in Pilates ever again. Love that feeling of strength. Have to lose some weight I guess and build up slowly, and readjust expectations after the chemo and radiation settles.

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi there Rivergum, I agree with Robyn, this site make me feel better whenever i log on. It is tough when diagnosed, your whole life seems upended and your diary fills up with medical appointments instead of social gatherings. I had my lumpectomy mid october and am due to start chemo tomorrow. I wish you well with your operation and your exams:) Take care,

Hazel xx

• rivergum
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Robyn.

I am glad to hear you have healed well. Look forward to that!!! My first post is that combination of bravado and just plain ignorance. :) I really hope breast cancer is a temporary blip (even a long blip) but I know I will be coming to terms with a new normal. Blecch!

Meg

• rivergum
    edited March 2015
    Options

OMG, running three jobs and a another one at home! I was wondering what I'll be doing with myself after this useful distraction of exams are over. Catching up on reading if it's comfortable. Your diagnosis is a good fit with mine. Thanks for dropping by. :)

Meg XX

• rivergum
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree, great site. It's good to connect with people who know what's happening and have different perspectives. I didn't realise some treatment would be daily, but I hope to resist curling up and hiding in bed with a book, like I have in the past.

Cheers

Meg xx

• rivergum
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Donna

Yes, you are right, things don't always go to plan. Already have had a surprise couple of extras which made me feel wobbly. Appointment tomorrow to have implanon removed doesn't match with last minute exam preparation. :) What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger. (Nietzsche, a philosopher in this afternoon's exam. LOL!).

Meg xx

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

What instantly springs to my mind is the fact that you are studying psychology, and that is half of the experience when our health is challenged.  Even though you are studying, please dont feel too upset if you lose control of your brain for about 8 months during chemo, I did!  Your intelligence returns, and your sanity, and keep in mind, there are ladies out there that row after Breast Cancer.  I think if you understand your own strength, give yourself time, and it will come back.  By the way, I never could do a handstand, but still enjoy yoga and pilates for dummies!  One of the things we all have trouble letting go of is the fact that we just dont stay young forever, but some how fight it all the way.  (for some with botox!).  Mentally I am prepared for the aging process and accept that I wont be the same, we age in 7 year cycles after all, and thats why our hair colour changes, and gravity gives us wrinkles.  But check back at this first post, and you will grow and change mentally as time goes by.  No one thinks the same after a Cancer experience.  I wasnt allowed to study during my year away from work, and that was just as a Pharmacy Assistant.  (they suspended my traineeship because I wasnt there).  Some times I get very annoyed with setbacks, but hey I have to get over it, and look to my future. My lump was in my right side, and Im right handed.  I got pretty good using my left hand !  I have to wear a compression sleeve each day, as a prevention to lymphodaema, but thats later, and Im jumping your situation.  I had the 6 chemo, the radiation, and have Triple Negative.  I thought the worst at times, and now, nothing can stop me... Ive just gone back to work, and I am Cancer Free.  Good luck, and ps, taking up knitting, painting or photography, you will have time.........Bel Mc

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

What instantly springs to my mind is the fact that you are studying psychology, and that is half of the experience when our health is challenged.  Even though you are studying, please dont feel too upset if you lose control of your brain for about 8 months during chemo, I did!  Your intelligence returns, and your sanity, and keep in mind, there are ladies out there that row after Breast Cancer.  I think if you understand your own strength, give yourself time, and it will come back.  By the way, I never could do a handstand, but still enjoy yoga and pilates for dummies!  One of the things we all have trouble letting go of is the fact that we just dont stay young forever, but some how fight it all the way.  (for some with botox!).  Mentally I am prepared for the aging process and accept that I wont be the same, we age in 7 year cycles after all, and thats why our hair colour changes, and gravity gives us wrinkles.  But check back at this first post, and you will grow and change mentally as time goes by.  No one thinks the same after a Cancer experience.  I wasnt allowed to study during my year away from work, and that was just as a Pharmacy Assistant.  (they suspended my traineeship because I wasnt there).  Some times I get very annoyed with setbacks, but hey I have to get over it, and look to my future. My lump was in my right side, and Im right handed.  I got pretty good using my left hand !  I have to wear a compression sleeve each day, as a prevention to lymphodaema, but thats later, and Im jumping your situation.  I had the 6 chemo, the radiation, and have Triple Negative.  I thought the worst at times, and now, nothing can stop me... Ive just gone back to work, and I am Cancer Free.  Good luck, and ps, taking up knitting, painting or photography, you will have time.........Bel Mc

• rivergum
    edited March 2015
    Options

That really is great advice. I will be looking for activities that enrich or just plain help me get through the fatigue and pain. It's great to hear about getting out the other side and feeling healthy and positive. Off for an implant removal. Then it's onto an exam. Not going to be pretty, but I am very philosophical about it. :)

Cheers

Meg