Newly diagnosed

TinaW
TinaW Member Posts: 153
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi,  I found out yesterday i have early stage breast cancer and i have been referred to Gold Coast Hospital.  I was told by my doctor that the public system is very good and as my referral is urgent i should be seen asap.  I phoned the hospital today who advised they are taking at least a week to process the referrals and it could be a while before i get an appointment.  I do have private cover but cannot afford all the out of pocket expenses.  Can anyone tell me if i go private does it then cost me more if i need radiation etc than if it would if i went public?

Tagged:

Comments

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015

hi there; just my experience--my gp did call my surgeon and that fast tracked; i was out of pocket with surgery and all those tests at the private hospital and my health fund--bupa was painful around the whole thing. im mid way through radiation and had surgery--i would do it all the same--great surgeon and pleased to pay and she referred me thoughtfully to an oncologist who suits me; and i went to radiation close to work/home and that is public so no out of pocket expenses at all..but after the speed of surgery and at night appts with surgeon; i found just waiting for public radiation painful!!! and i got cranky and dont think it made any difference....but everyday for 6 weeks; you want it to be local. im not fussed who my radiation dr/team is but that might be me--but the surgeon and oncologist are important; so maybe weigh up costs that way-- iwas happy to pay out of pocket for some aspects but have worked throughout this process but also enjoying fee free as well

good luck

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015

hi there; just my experience--my gp did call my surgeon and that fast tracked; i was out of pocket with surgery and all those tests at the private hospital and my health fund--bupa was painful around the whole thing. im mid way through radiation and had surgery--i would do it all the same--great surgeon and pleased to pay and she referred me thoughtfully to an oncologist who suits me; and i went to radiation close to work/home and that is public so no out of pocket expenses at all..but after the speed of surgery and at night appts with surgeon; i found just waiting for public radiation painful!!! and i got cranky and dont think it made any difference....but everyday for 6 weeks; you want it to be local. im not fussed who my radiation dr/team is but that might be me--but the surgeon and oncologist are important; so maybe weigh up costs that way-- iwas happy to pay out of pocket for some aspects but have worked throughout this process but also enjoying fee free as well

good luck

• TinaW
    TinaW Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Thank you all for your comments. I think I need to speak to my GP again tomorrow as I'm so confused as to where I go and what I do. I'm 41 and live in the Gold Coast hinterland and work in the coast. My cancer was found from a routine mammogram with Qld breast clinic, they are amazing people. I really appreciate all your advice right now.