Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Searching for new drugs to prevent recurrence of breast cancer – Well worth a read

Options
KymB
KymB Member Posts: 93
edited October 2013 in Metastatic breast cancer

The EMPathy Breast Cancer Network needs little introduction within breast cancer organisations and scientific circles.  This Australia-wide team of scientists, medical oncologists and surgeons is supported and funded by the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) to investigate the role of ‘EMP’ (see below) in breast cancer recurrence (i.e. secondary, metastatic, advanced breast cancer). 

My role within the EMPathy BCN is that of BCNA Consumer Representative.  This means my aim is to represent the experience, views and priorities of Australians affected by breast cancer – people such as you.

As a BCNA Consumer Representative I also have the opportunity to learn in more depth about the EMPathy BCN research.  As explained in much greater detail on the EMPathy website (www.empathybcn.org), ‘EMP’ stands for epithelial mesenchymal plasticity.  EMP refers to changes and behaviours of cells in the body that allow these cells to alter certain characteristics. These cellular changes may, amongst other, be associated with breast cancer recurrence. 

A recent article by Dr Karl-Johan Leuchowius and Dr Ian Street entitled ‘Searching for new drugs to prevent recurrence of breast cancer’ is well worth a read.  The link for this article on the EMPathy BCN website is below.  While you are visiting the website I encourage you to also browse the other publications and find out more about the extraordinary work being done by the EMPathy Breast Cancer Network.

http://www.empathybcn.org/EMPathyPubs.html

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I feel privileged to work alongside the dedicated people in the EMPathy Breast Cancer Network and truly hope their research contributes to preventing breast cancer recurrence.

Comments

• Jenmegs
    Jenmegs Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow so many great people working on great initiatives.

Kym, I really appreciate the glimpse!

Cell and tiny molecule "plasticity" ... "potentials"  that research is working to target to stop changes we don't need (recurrence)...Heaps of big words in the article...is this what it's basically about?

Am really rapt to understand more about  Australian  scientists working for us!

• Jenmegs
    Jenmegs Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow so many great people working on great initiatives.

Kym, I really appreciate the glimpse!

Cell and tiny molecule "plasticity" ... "potentials"  that research is working to target to stop changes we don't need (recurrence)...Heaps of big words in the article...is this what it's basically about?

Am really rapt to understand more about  Australian  scientists working for us!

• KymB
    KymB Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jenny - thanks for reading the blog and visiting the EMPathy website.

You are on the right track - the researchers are investigating behaviours of cells in the body that allow these cells to alter certain characteristics that may be associated with breast cancer recurrence. Through this research and the various findings it is hoped that new, targeted drugs can be developed.

I agree with you that it is terrific to have these wonderful people working on these great initiatives!