Hi everyone

2»

Comments

• Tanya C
    Tanya C Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2015

It  was so great to hear from you knowing you beat IBC.  Breast cancer was not in my family so when I woke up one morning to find my left breast double the size of my right I panicked called the doctor to make an appointment that night. I went to work that day and looked on the internet BIG MISTAKE.  The symptoms  I had were the same for premenopausal mastitis and inflammation breast cancer.  The doctor put me on penicillin and then antibiotics and they did nothing then went to a breast surgeon and he quickly ran heaps of tests th following week. It wasn't till the following Thursday the 20th June that we were told the bad news I had IBC and it had moved to my lymph nodes under my arm and up to the clavicle region below the base of my neck .  

I just got my wig cut yesterday and bought a couple of warm winter hats to wear to and from work . I  read everthing you wrote and thankyou it was really helpful.  

Your  the best Tanya....

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015

Hi Tanya,

My Oncologist told me that the AC chemo wasn't cumulative but I felt that each time it was a bit harder on me. I had every intention of working through chemo but took the first month off to see how I would go. After the first round I discovered that I couldn't work through, it hit me too hard. It was only in the third week of the cycle that I felt anywhere near normal. I took the whole year off, I felt I had to concentrate on getting well. There is a lot of stress at the uni where I work with restructuring and redundancies and its still going on. Just before I was diagnosis, I actually had to apply for my own job again which I got. I don't want any added stress right now. My Supervisor has been absolutely marvellous and she and my admin team keep me informed of whats going on. I go in and have lunch with them all when I'm well enough.

I was only on AC for the first four rounds and that was bad enough but then I started on Docetaxel (Taxatere) and the AC seemed like a walk in the park. Ironically, my Onc was away just after I started on the D drug and I had one of her colleagues for the onc review and he said the D drug WAS cumulative. Perhaps there is differences of opinions in this. But I believe chemo is cumulative, especially the D drug. Instead of Docetaxel, my husband has dubbed it 'Doceshit'. When he told the chemo nurse this, she almost had a fit, she laughed that much :)

But there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and mine is getting bigger and bigger. My husband, daughter and son keep me laughing, they all have wicked senses of humour. My son says "oh we have broken Mum" and he's right. I am in hysterics often!  

Sorry, I do get carried away when I post. I think I have verbal diarrhoea :)

• Tanya C
    edited March 2015

That photo you sent me is almost what the basin looked like this morning when I had a shower after I brushed my hair. I also bought a wig yesterday, it's very close to my natural colour but has highlights through it.  My husband joked with me yesterday and said " We'll at least you've finally got highlights now."

• Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tanya, I was diagnosed in early December and have finished AC and Taxol four weeks ago. I will be starting radiotherapy at Sunshine Hospital at the end of July. As upsetting it was to lose my hair after the first AC in a way it was a relief because of the burning feeling on my scalp once my hair fell out this stopped and then my eyebrows started burning... They fell out and most of my eyelashes have gone as well.
    Towards the end of Taxol my hair has started to grow. I am waiting for it to thicken it up a bit and then the scarves and the wig will go. Can't wait!
    PS I noticed that you live in Point Cook I live not too far away in Tarneit. Maybe we could meet for coffee sometime? Regards Cheryle :)
  • Cherylek
    Cherylek Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tanya, I was diagnosed in early December and have finished AC and Taxol four weeks ago. I will be starting radiotherapy at Sunshine Hospital at the end of July. As upsetting it was to lose my hair after the first AC in a way it was a relief because of the burning feeling on my scalp once my hair fell out this stopped and then my eyebrows started burning... They fell out and most of my eyelashes have gone as well.
    Towards the end of Taxol my hair has started to grow. I am waiting for it to thicken it up a bit and then the scarves and the wig will go. Can't wait!
    PS I noticed that you live in Point Cook I live not too far away in Tarneit. Maybe we could meet for coffee sometime? Regards Cheryle :)
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    You sound very organised. I have only just got my wig now and am slowly getting used to wearing it. It is getting more comfortable and I like having the option of hair in public situations. My daughter told me she does not really notice if I am wearing the wig or my turban hat as I am still just Mum to her!
    It did not really worry me about having the mastectomy as I just wanted the cancer gone. Also my husband has been very supportive and reassuring. He set my mind at rest with the question 'would I stop loving him if he had to have surgery for some reason.' I have not worried since he said that. I will probably have reconstruction down the track but feel fine about wearing a prosthesis for now. It was just a good feeling to get rid of the cancer! We have a friend who lost his eye to cancer and I have always felt that losing a breast is not as bad. It's just how you think about things sometimes that can make a situation better or worse. I am lucky to have great support from family and friends. There are actually a lot of positive things that have come out of this so far.
    I hope you find the same.
    Keep smiling when you can and let others help out when the going gets tough.
    Take care.
    Deanne xxoo
  • Tanya C
    edited March 2015

Got a new wig on Saturday.  My husband says it looks really good because it has highlights in it, which I never had the guts to do with my natural hair.  

• Tanya C
    edited March 2015

Hi Cheryle,

I can't believe you live so close to me we definately will have to meet up and talk over coffee.  I work full -time but are free on weekends.

Looking forward to seeing you in person 

Tanya....

• minkabelle
    minkabelle Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Hi Tanya

I was diagnosed with IBC in August 2009 after noticing firmness and itchiness and a dark shadow on my left breast.  I had chemo, left mastectomy and radiation, but didn't have reconstruction.  My hair fell out at 15 days and it was quite painful.  I wore a wig or scarf or hat as my fiance at the time was not comfortable with my appearance.

In August this year I had a 6-month checkup and a dodgy lymph node was detected - quickly whipped out and then straight back into chemo, which was absolutely heartbreaking as my hair had grown back long, luscious and beautifully curly - best it has ever been (I'm now 45).  Sure enough after 20 days it started falling out in big handfuls, not so painful this time but my scalp continued to be sensitive and after a friend put clippers through I didn't bother with a wig or even a scarf, choosing to concentrate on makeup and accessories to "rock" the Sinead O'Connor look.  Apparently it suits me.  Starting to grow back now, a little peach fuzz. Still waiting on eyelashes to come back.

I'm in Brisbane - if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Mandy

• minkabelle
    minkabelle Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Hi Tanya

I was diagnosed with IBC in August 2009 after noticing firmness and itchiness and a dark shadow on my left breast.  I had chemo, left mastectomy and radiation, but didn't have reconstruction.  My hair fell out at 15 days and it was quite painful.  I wore a wig or scarf or hat as my fiance at the time was not comfortable with my appearance.

In August this year I had a 6-month checkup and a dodgy lymph node was detected - quickly whipped out and then straight back into chemo, which was absolutely heartbreaking as my hair had grown back long, luscious and beautifully curly - best it has ever been (I'm now 45).  Sure enough after 20 days it started falling out in big handfuls, not so painful this time but my scalp continued to be sensitive and after a friend put clippers through I didn't bother with a wig or even a scarf, choosing to concentrate on makeup and accessories to "rock" the Sinead O'Connor look.  Apparently it suits me.  Starting to grow back now, a little peach fuzz. Still waiting on eyelashes to come back.

I'm in Brisbane - if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers

Mandy