Breast Cancer Conference

BelindaM
BelindaM Member Posts: 27
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

I had been feeling a little down, everything had backlogged whilst I was having treatment.... and now hormone therapy! ....I so wanted to talk to other ladies who had been through the hormone therapy and had a young family....but I had only met 2 other ladies in a simular position....

I had been attending my local support group, and although most of the ladies were older they were very compassionate and so supportive. but they couldn't really understand the challenges of having breast cancer treatment and looking after young children and also the changes in self image and sexuality that comes along with being a young women with part of your breast missing.

Then I got a call from the co-ordinator of my support group Gayle Anderson, with an offer to attend the young womens conference! WONDERFUL this is EXACTLY what I needed!

I can't tell you how much this has lifted my mood and given me hope that I will be able to meet other ladies in a simular position and get some information about how to help my children deal with the whole cancer thing. This conference is a real gift to young women with Breast cancer and I am so excited to be a part of it! :O)

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

HI Belinda

Great that you are going to be attending the conference, I too have struggled the issues you spoke about, but with time things will return to a place that is not so foreign!!

Body image is a big one, so is sexuality and it will be great to sit around and discuss all these issues with others our age. 

I was diagnosed in 2007 when my children were 2 and 4 and have had bilaterial mastecomy and have been on Arimidex 2 and a half years and am counting the days till I can be rid of them!!

Great that you are coming, I hope to catch up with you there.

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015

HI Belinda

Great that you are going to be attending the conference, I too have struggled the issues you spoke about, but with time things will return to a place that is not so foreign!!

Body image is a big one, so is sexuality and it will be great to sit around and discuss all these issues with others our age. 

I was diagnosed in 2007 when my children were 2 and 4 and have had bilaterial mastecomy and have been on Arimidex 2 and a half years and am counting the days till I can be rid of them!!

Great that you are coming, I hope to catch up with you there.

Tanya

• Caz
    Caz Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

Belinda, have just sent you a message prior to reading your story but now, since reading your story, see that you know exactly where I am at with my littlies (ahhh...I breathe a sigh of relief!) and everything else! I lost my full right breast and nodes were difficult to get out so I think I could also say I have a dodgy armpit too! I put on 20kgs with chemo and steroids (because I was allergic to one of the chemo drugs they pumped and pumped me full of steriods) and it has been a real test for my body image etc.  I know any type of cancer is cruel and horrible for the person but there's something about breast cancer and how it rips at all parts of you. I am really noticing lately that people that haven't experienced or been close to someone experiencing breast cancer just don't get it!

I am a very positive person and don't tend to wollow in self pity or anything like that, don't get me wrong, but people assume that you've had your op, chemo/radio finished so now you are well. All the rest of  the package that comes with breast cancer is just unknown. It is very frustrating at times but I guess thats just part of life and part of society and how, we as humans, shield ourselves from knowledge that may cause pain. I'm rambling so I will go now, think you get the jist of what I'm trying to say though.

Take care...

Caroline

• Caz
    edited March 2015

Belinda, have just sent you a message prior to reading your story but now, since reading your story, see that you know exactly where I am at with my littlies (ahhh...I breathe a sigh of relief!) and everything else! I lost my full right breast and nodes were difficult to get out so I think I could also say I have a dodgy armpit too! I put on 20kgs with chemo and steroids (because I was allergic to one of the chemo drugs they pumped and pumped me full of steriods) and it has been a real test for my body image etc.  I know any type of cancer is cruel and horrible for the person but there's something about breast cancer and how it rips at all parts of you. I am really noticing lately that people that haven't experienced or been close to someone experiencing breast cancer just don't get it!

I am a very positive person and don't tend to wollow in self pity or anything like that, don't get me wrong, but people assume that you've had your op, chemo/radio finished so now you are well. All the rest of  the package that comes with breast cancer is just unknown. It is very frustrating at times but I guess thats just part of life and part of society and how, we as humans, shield ourselves from knowledge that may cause pain. I'm rambling so I will go now, think you get the jist of what I'm trying to say though.

Take care...

Caroline

• BelindaM
    edited March 2015

I'm so sorry to hear that you won't be able to attend the conference! That's just not fair! I hope the surgery goes well, these things can't be put off unfortunately...

Do you facebook? I facebook wwaayyyy to much! but it's such a wonderful way to stay in touch and waste loads of time! he he he!

I was allergic to my chemo drugs too (Tamoxifen... had loads of steriods and phenergan before it) I went on a SUPER strict diet when I was diagnoised so I ended up losing 20kgs during my active treatment which I was pretty happy about! :O)))) I have gained back a little whilst on the Zoladex, I am just soooo tired and sleep depraved from all the menopause symptoms ggrrrr...

It's true people who haven't been through it simply can not understand all the issues! (and there are MANY) No matter how compassionate they are.. There are so many issues that come a long with being a young woman with breast cancer and especially if you have children too.

Again, so sad that you won't be coming to the conference! :O(

Hope all goes well with your surgery :O) if I don't hear from you before then..

Belinda :O)

ps are you having hormone suppressing therapy?

• Caz
    edited March 2015

Hi Belinda.

YES! I too facebook WAY too much...I find it a good way to keep in touch with some of the world whilst you are caught in your little bubble! I would be happy for you to request me as a friend if you like...its Caroline Kiefer and so you know its the right one there is a passport picture of me and my hubby from a couple of years ago on my profile pic, dressed up for a wedding we were going too.

Look forward to hearing from you...

I am on Tamoxifen ( I think that is what you mean by the hormone suppressing therapy yeah?). I don't get too many side effects really other than palpatations at the moment. Not looking forward to the hot flushes etc that will come with my surgically induced menapuase at 31 years old though!!! 'Geez, that was great that you managed to loose all that weight...I tried but it just slowly crept on despite a good diet, personal trainer etc! It is slowly coming off now which is a relief. Yeh, I had the phenergen and all that too...ahh...the joys!

No doubt talk again soon.  Take care of yourself. Have you tried acupuncture or anything like that to help with your sleeping at all? Have also heard that 'Ethical nutrients' have a menapuase/hot flush capsule that is supposed to be fantastic (my pharmacists wife is on it and swears by it!!) I have'nt asked yet if it is appropriate for us or not but I will ask when i'm next there.

Hope you have a great day and look forward to chatting on facebook! It will probably be a little easier that way. I have'nt wuite worked out the online network yet...

Regards

Caroline

• Tanya
    edited March 2015

Yep, I put on 20 kg too!!

Belinda, you lost 20kg, you go girl!!  Are you still on the strict diet?  I try being good with my diet and jucing etc, but am totally off the rails of late.

• BelindaM
    edited March 2015

I have been off the rails with the diet a bit since the menopasue kicked in...it's kind of like having PMS all the time so I am constantly craving carbs and chocolate which is a real pain! so This week I am back on the diet mostly...it's basically the hunter gatherer diet, it you can't kill it, dig it up or pick it you don't eat it...so lots of vegetables (except potatoes and corn) , low sugar fruits (like green apples, berries coconut, citrus) except I am allegic to most fruits except berries...nuts, seeds, juicy's, grass fed meats, chicken, lamb etc, cream, and eggs.. no carbs or sugar except brown rice, 2-3 litres of water a day...no tea, coffee or alcohol...it can be quite hard to stick to but it does make you feel a lot better. I really notice a difference from when I start eating a bit of crap food again. my energy levels drop and I start feeling bloated and crappy again. I also get inflammation problems in my back and joints and have to go back to the chiro :O( I never had to visit him when I was sticking to the diet!...It's worth it the hard work...and the Doctor who put me on the diet says if you stick to it it can prevent your cancer ever coming back...whether he is right or wrong I know it certainly makes me feel alot better! I stuck to it religiously through chemo etc and had very few side effects from the chemo. and lost 20kgs dispite them saying I would put on 20kgs so I was super happy!

• Caz
    edited March 2015

geez, that sounds great. You are an amazing woman to be able to stick to such a strict diet-well done!

• BelindaM
    edited March 2015

:o)