Introduction

Traceylee
Traceylee Member Posts: 33
edited May 2013 in General discussion
Hello Daina

Thank you for your invitation to join your group. I was diagnosed in November 2012 (aged 49) and had a total right mastectomy in December.
I have been reading lots of blogs but didnt feel ready to join befor now. I added a couple of my writings the other day not thinking that anyone that would read it let alone comment their enjoyment and help from it. It makes all the difference knowing that you are not alone.
I am looking forward to the forum in Brisbane on the 10 th of May and hope to meet you in person.
Thank you again it is warming to have people you can chat to and share your experiences. It really helps ones journey.

Best wishes
Tracey-Lee

Comments

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Tracey-Lee,

Welcome - It's great to see you taking the first steps to connect with others going through the same as you and share your experiences. I hope you get the support you need online and through the forum  :-)

I look forward to seeing you around the online network and just shout if you need a hand finding your way around.

Cheers
    Daina

• Heathe
    Heathe Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015

Hi Traceylee, it takes courage to reach out to others when your diagnosis is still so fresh but it is important to have an outlet to share your experiences, ask the dumb questions (we all have them) and connect with other women who are on your journey.

I was 46 when I was diagnosed (March 2011) and after surgery, chemo and radiation I am back on track and working on becoming fitter and stronger than ever before. My daughter and I (she was only 11 when I started treatment and was devasted by my illness) are running together in the Mothers day classic in a few weeks to raise money for breast cancer research. She and her girlfriends first did this event when I was in hospital and I promised her I would be well enough to walk with her the following year and I was! This year we will run together - now that is not something I expected to be doing at at my age!

Life is full of surprises!

• HelenC
    HelenC Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015

I was diagnosed in August 2011 with triple negative breast cancer at 62 years of age. I had 2 lumpectomies followed by a mastectomy on my left breast when the margins were still not clear, and the removal of 2 lymph nodes. The size of the lump was 3mm. As it  was considered  early stage breast cancer I expected the lumpectomies would be successful,  and I would be cured!. So it was quite a shock to lose a breast and undergo chemo.

I am happy, in excellent health and enjoying life! There is always light at the end of the tunnel!

• beppobreezes
    beppobreezes Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

I was diagnosed in October 2011 at age 60. Has a right breast mastecomy and chemotherapy. as I had worked my whole life I returned to work straight after my last chemo treatment. I was trying to get my life back to "normal". I had ticked all the boxes on what was recommend for treatment so just thought my life would go back to the way it was before disgnosis. Silly me. I worked lesser hours but was always tired (thank you Femara), so decided to retire in December 2012.

Since retiring I have been busier than before. I feel I have been given a second chance so am trying to "Pay it forward". I spend my time sewing for children in crises and also cushions and drainage bags for breast cancer patients. Also volunteer at a local nursing home, this gives me a better perspective on how well I feel. The residents are in the 80-100 year bracket and have many ailments, but I never hear them complain.

I am due for my annual checks e,g, CT & Bone scan, I become more anxious as the date gets closer.

I am a happy person and consider myself fortunate to have a loving family who give me great emotional support.

Jan

• beppobreezes
    beppobreezes Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

I was diagnosed in October 2011 at age 60. Has a right breast mastecomy and chemotherapy. as I had worked my whole life I returned to work straight after my last chemo treatment. I was trying to get my life back to "normal". I had ticked all the boxes on what was recommend for treatment so just thought my life would go back to the way it was before disgnosis. Silly me. I worked lesser hours but was always tired (thank you Femara), so decided to retire in December 2012.

Since retiring I have been busier than before. I feel I have been given a second chance so am trying to "Pay it forward". I spend my time sewing for children in crises and also cushions and drainage bags for breast cancer patients. Also volunteer at a local nursing home, this gives me a better perspective on how well I feel. The residents are in the 80-100 year bracket and have many ailments, but I never hear them complain.

I am due for my annual checks e,g, CT & Bone scan, I become more anxious as the date gets closer.

I am a happy person and consider myself fortunate to have a loving family who give me great emotional support.

Jan

• Traceylee
    edited March 2015
    Hi Heather

Thank you for your kind words. I will be finishing full time work soon and am looking forward to taking care of me which we should all do.
    Best of luck in the walk on Mother's Day I am looking forward to being stronger and do it next year with my daughter and granddaughter. It will be extra special for you to join your daughter. That is so lovely.
    I'm off to Sydney in August to climb the bridge and join thousand of other women in the woman in the fields. Can't wait.
    Love to you xx
  • Traceylee
    edited March 2015
    Hi Helen
    It is a cruel cruel disease, but we somehow find the strength to make it through. Glad to hear you ate now through the end of the tunnel and life is getting better.
    Stay strong and happy

• Traceylee
    edited March 2015
    The word 'normal' take on a new meaning doesn't it. It sometimes takes us a while and puts us on a long journey before we find it.

I too will be retiring soon after being made redundant from my govt job. But I am looking forward to it. Just to have time to myself will be something I will be grateful for.

Stay well Jan

Tracey