I'm new

Options
stacey29
stacey29 Member Posts: 21
edited February 2013 in General discussion

Hi,

I'm new to this online blogging thing but thought I'd give it a go as I was wanting to talk to other women who are going thru the same thing.

I'm 34 & was diagnosed with breast cancer in Aug 12 & I have just started 6 weeks of radiation after finishing 18 weeks of chemo.

Does anyone have any advise on how to get thru 6 weeks of radiation?

Comments

• Sorelle1969
    Sorelle1969 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Stacey, sorry we have to meet under these circumstances.
    I was diagnosed in 2011 had surgery,6 months of chemo and 5 weeks of rads.In Oct this year I was told I have mets to lung and liver :( Once I got over the initial shock,I was ready to put on my boxing gloves again and go after the beast.I will have my last chemo this thurs yay,after 12 more rounds it is stable double yay :)
    I found radiotheraphy a breeze compared to chemo,just relax and don't fight it,you will be fine.
    Make sure you keep using the creams the hospital will give you,and please be kind to yourself,rest when you feel the need,as it all helps in your healing.
    Stay Strong Girlfriend
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
    Take Care and please let us know how you get on
    Love
    Sorelle xxx :))))
  • annz53
    annz53 Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Stacey,

What a great cake :)

For me the worst was the chemo so I am glad that is behind you.  Radiation was  a breeze for me compared to chemo. Make sure, like the other girls have shared, to keep rubbing on that sorbolene they give you and try not to have any underwear rub you.  All the best, Ann

• annz53
    annz53 Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Stacey,

What a great cake :)

For me the worst was the chemo so I am glad that is behind you.  Radiation was  a breeze for me compared to chemo. Make sure, like the other girls have shared, to keep rubbing on that sorbolene they give you and try not to have any underwear rub you.  All the best, Ann

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

As the ladies have said, radiation is easier than chemo. I found soft bonds singlets worked for me - no bras. Cetaphil soap, or a PH neutral soap will do. I used Moogoo scalp cream all the way through. I had sorbolene for the rest of the body. No deodorant on the day, lots of water, and lots of rest if you feel weary. A bit of air time for the breasts works as well. I also went to Emmett massage once a week to relieve the muscles (was feeling a bit tight after "holding" the awkward position daily) it worked for me.

I had my rads at the Mater Oncology Radiation unit in South Brisbane. Lovely people. Access the support services as you go.

PM if you would like some company, support or just to chat. I am in Brisbane. Take care. Toni.

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

As the ladies have said, radiation is easier than chemo. I found soft bonds singlets worked for me - no bras. Cetaphil soap, or a PH neutral soap will do. I used Moogoo scalp cream all the way through. I had sorbolene for the rest of the body. No deodorant on the day, lots of water, and lots of rest if you feel weary. A bit of air time for the breasts works as well. I also went to Emmett massage once a week to relieve the muscles (was feeling a bit tight after "holding" the awkward position daily) it worked for me.

I had my rads at the Mater Oncology Radiation unit in South Brisbane. Lovely people. Access the support services as you go.

PM if you would like some company, support or just to chat. I am in Brisbane. Take care. Toni.