anybody out there?

13»

Comments

• newbie12
    newbie12 Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015

Hey annie, I start chemo monday and was reading up on advice posted by others and noticed a huge emphasis on avoiding infection. I know people go back to work and all that but wonder what sort of things you do in regards to this especially seeing you have a little person at home too.

cheers

majella

• anniep
    anniep Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015

Hi Majella, wishing you lots of luck on Mond, I hope it all goes well!

Indeed, we do not want any infections while on chemo but the like my oncologist said there is not much we can do but use common sense, ie avoid sick people and crowds especially during nadir stage. However, what I have done is to make sure my skin is extra moisturised (MooGoo stuff is great) as dry and cracked skin gets infected easier, I use rubber gloves if/when in garden, cleaning, handling garbish (I delegated much of this to my hubby). Use hand sanitisers when out and about. Foodwise, I avoid raw eggs (e.g in desserts like tiramisu), raw seafood, and open salad bar type of foods and chicken when eating out  (I tend to go for hot-cooked foods such as vegetarian pizza), and at home I avoid leftovers. Yes, with kids it can be a bit hard, my son has sneezed and coughed at my face, wiped his dirty hands over me etc... But can't blame him, it's tough to remember all the new rules.. But there's no need to panic about germs as it will just make life difficult, just try to lead normal life and boost your immune system with healthy foods, enough sleep/rest & exercise (I find my daily 30 min walks helpful). Besides exercise my other sources of endorphins include music, meditation, comedy shows with a bite of dark chocolate, playing silly games with my son etc.. Anything that makes you feel good and laugh will boost your immune system.  Ask your oncologist about the preventative antibiotics too and Neulasta, I know the practices towards using them vary among oncologists, especially with Neulasta being so expensive, so they are not always automatically given.. The antibiotics are not recommended for long term use either. 

Anyways, keep me posted how it all goes! Thinking of you on Mon!  Annie :)     

• poppy7
    poppy7 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015

Hi Majella, how did you go. I am fareing well, only slight nausea and a bit of indigestion. Mind you it is only round 1, day three! The chemo itself was actuall quite pleasant, lovely nurses, comfy beds and got served a nice lunch.

Hope you are going well too,

best wishes

verouska

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

Hey verouska

had a problem with a head ache and same as you with only slight nausea and indigestion. I think sitting in the chair gave me more problems as i had a sore back and knees by the end of the first treatment. Oh I did have and continue to have sore ears they're a bit sensitive anyway). I am jealous about the bed though! let's keep our fingers crossed for the rest of the week. I was told next week is nadir so not the time to go shopping or mixing with crowds but week three should be fine. we'll see how we go. Did they give you steroids and antinausea drugs to take home too? When my little picked me up he said"you still have your hair mummy", he suggested keeping it for my hubby who's a bit light on top. -very thoughtful.

majella

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

Love the hair comment! Very thoughtfull little one.

Yes I had all the drugs to take home too, only popped an extra anti nausea on the first night, haven't needed a top up since. Taking slippery elm powder for indigestion. Wondering if I may be a bit stopped up if you know what I mean, but I'm usually slow in that department anyway. Will drink lots of pear juice and see if that helps.

Glad to hear you are travelling well too. I am going camping next week and the onc said that is fine. I will only be about an hour and a half from Brisbane so shouldn't get into much trouble.

Love

Verouska

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

Verouska, I should have shares in the coloxyl with senna tablets (over the counter), because I have the same problem- doctor told me the  treatment is notorious for it and be proactive about it rather than try to fix it after. I have been in that boat too many times before so I take two tablets at bed time and all is smooth sailing (ah what magnificent metaphors).

Now where are you going camping, back to Girraween? There's just something about being out in nature.

Booked in for look good feel better for the 18th Feb (week 3), but not really into makeup, but hey by then I could be a convert.

Happy trails

majella

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

I finally sent my partner out to get some mylanta and movicol, couldn't stand the indigestion any more! When he got home I thought I'd try bicarb soda in water first. Within 20 mins I was on the loo! Thought I'd never get off tho! OMG I can't believe my conversations have gotten so deprived!!!

On a lighter note, we are going out to a place called Yaramalong out near Aratula. I have camped there a couple of times before, it is lovely and there is a creek you can canoe on, hot showers and toilets. It is a private property I think but you can google it. The owner Scott is lovely and comes round with fire wood etc if you need it. Hopefully I will be up for it, but I've warned everyone that it could be a last minute thing.

Where are you doing your look good feel better thing? I am not that into make up either, but at this stage I think anything will help!

Travel well,

Verouska

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

It amazing what heads our list at the moment. How much bi carb do you use, i only heard about using the bicarb and salt for ulcers.

I'm doing the look good feel better at the wesley.

That camping spot sounds great and hot showers and camp fires- great for chilling out. Have you been there in winter as well?

Hope you get there this week, but you never know next weekend is a long weekend anyway, so could be as well.

cheers majella

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

I only used about a teaspoon in a glass of water. I'm sure it was just coincidence that  everything got moving! I googled indigestion and that is what came up.

cheers

verouska