anybody out there?

newbie12
newbie12 Member Posts: 47
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

hey everyone, I actually tried to post something last night but realised I had added to comment to The PErth Women's group. So sorry about that. I thought I would try again. I am 46 have had a recent mastectomy and will start chemo in January. I have a 4 year son and worry about how he is going. I would love to connect with a group or emmbers that I can talk to about this journey as it's very hard to talk to friends about it besides saying "yeah I'm fine, going well" as I really don't think they really want the details.

anyway I hope this reaches the noticeboard this time. fingers crossed

Comments

• poppy7
    poppy7 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015

Hi there, I am newly diagnosed (30 Nov). I had a lumpectomy and axillary node surgery on the 10th December. I am going back to the clinic today to find out the path results. Fingers crossed! I will also be going through chemo, most likely in the new year, so you are not alone.

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

Hi there, I am newly diagnosed (30 Nov). I had a lumpectomy and axillary node surgery on the 10th December. I am going back to the clinic today to find out the path results. Fingers crossed! I will also be going through chemo, most likely in the new year, so you are not alone.

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

Hey Poppy7 , waiting feels like you are holding your breathe for 3 days. It's all slow motion. I'm in Brisbane by the way and start my chemo on the 14th of January. I have you in my thoughts today.

• anniep
    anniep Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. Diagnosed in Nov, followed by mactectomy & imm reconstruction. Now going through treatment options with MO, he recommends chemo but I'm anxious about it all, also we don't agree with the "cocktail mix", so going over to him tomorrow to see if we can change it.. Newbie, I'm a mum too, have an 8 yr old and was also worried about how he and other people would handle my BC. But honestly Ive been surprised how well he and his friends have embraced it all, and parents at his school have been so kind offering help. I hope you'll find this too.  I'm often online, so if you'd like to chat you'll find me here.  Annie     

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

Hi Newbie12,

I am in Brisbane too, no doubt we will run into each other sometime! Unfortunately, my results came back bad. 8cm tumour, margins not big enough, HER2 + and cancer in 12 out of 15 lymph nodes. Mastectomy booked for Monday....

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

it's one of my favourites too. At least now you know what you are dealing with, there is no place for it hide. Someone wrote in a card for me that you're going to face  that little b***d, smash it into the ground and then give it the big finger when you have finished. It is a battle. We know what the enemy looks like and I look forward to blasting it into nonexistence, one step at a time gaining ground with each procedure, each new treatment. I actually took photos of my breasts together the night before my procedure, I haven't told anyone that. Will look good at Harvey Norman if my husband takes the camera to have photos printed, but I wanted to acknowledge it and say goodbye. I'm glad glad I did that so I could move on to the next step. Hope this helps.

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

Thanks Annie I'll keep you posted on the school situation. My OC said everyone reacts differently to the drugs but I'm worried about how I'll go. I just think about the big picture and that is my family but late at night in the dark the tears do come- like releasing a pressure valve.

Thank you to everyone today who has made me welcome, I'm sure there will be many questions inthe future and I do not feel so alone, I hope everyone feels that too.

• justtrina
    justtrina Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies

Just a quick message to let you know that you can get through this... With the exception of Arimidex for the next 5 years, I've finished my treatment. It's been a tough 8 months.... but looking back I'm surprised how fast the time has flown. Chemo is 'doable'. It's tough, and everyone reacts differently... and Radiation (if you have to have it) is much easier... Just take it one day at a time and ask lots of questions...

Regarding children - I have an 8 year old son... I told him little bits at a time, and said that Cancer was just another word for 'sickness'... I had Breast Sickness.... I told him the horrible medicine would make my hair fall out, but it has grown back... they adjust...

If I can help answer any questions on what's around the corner.. feel free to message me... 

Trina

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

hey trina thanks for the words of encouragement and it's great to hear from someone on the other side of the treatment. Now tell me wig, bandana (actually just typed banana which put an interesting picture in my head about headwear), turban or baldy?

majella

• justtrina
    edited March 2015

Hi Majella

First up I would recommend going to a Look Good, Feel Good session.... that way you can try before you buy... Second to that, I would recommend going to Starkles in the Myre Centre, City. (There's one at Carindale, but the Myre Centre is bigger and I found the assistant more helpful)

I have a wig but now find it too hot to wear.... it's like wearing a furry/woolie beenie... however, when I first lost my hair I needed it to feel/look 'normal'... it took a while to get use to the 'nude nut' look. Given the weather I'd go for a cotton bandana or try some pretty scarves.. a metre of material from Spot light or Lindcraft!!  I know some women who look absolutely stunning in them....

A friend of mine bought a couple of 'funky' wigs from a Wig Outlet Store in Yatala... so that could be worth a try as well...

Good luck.. and remember it's only for a short time. I started Chemo in May (lost my hair within two weeks of my first round) I finished 18 weeks of Chemo about the end of August... and now I just wear a cap or a hat. My hair is short and curly... but I still don't have a fringe!

keep smiling

Trina

• justtrina
    edited March 2015

Yes.... get your hair cut. As you can see from my picture I had sholder length long hair... I had it cut in stages, trying different styles each time... seriously if it wasn't for BC I'd still have long hair, pulled back in a pony tail. It's liberating. Accepting that you are going to loose it is the hardest.  Now my hair has grown back short with some curl... I really like it... so much easier..I may keep it this way.

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi newby12, poppy7 and anniep - I am so glad you have all been able to connect and share your recent experiences and I hope others who have been before you can also offer you some support.

I would suggest having scan through the 'All posts' page of the online network to see if there are any topics of interest to you: http://www.bcna.org.au/node/all/blog/network

Also, you might find the Local Services Directory helpful if you are wanting services/support near you: http://www.bcna.org.au/sharing-support/find-services-your-area

If you need a hand finding your way around just shout.

~Daina

• newbie12
    edited March 2015

I dreamt the other night that when my hair went my head looked like a conehead or a big humpty dumpty head. Someone I know has two sisters diagnosed a month between each other, but they are trying two different things. One is going the scarf way(apparantly there is shop in brisbane city that has beautiful scarves, she was told about the shop via kim walters choices program., the other sister going the wig. But what was interesting was that she said the wig let her go through shopping centres without the stares and she could relax. I never really thought about it that way, I thought it was more self image, so thinking maybe I could do both. I think I am obsessing over it, but want to be ready. My hairdresser up the road, will shave my head once the clumps start happening. She said they can do it out of hours and that many hairdressers will do this if you ask. Isn't there a collection centre that makes wigs from real hair that collect donated hair for this cause? Mine's a short bob, I wonder if they could do something with it?

• poppy7
    edited March 2015

thanks daina!

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Hey Newbies!! Welcome, I hope you find some valuable info here, even if it is just a place to vent. Cancer suxs and it's gonna be a little bit bumpy for a while.

I was diagnosed in 2007 at this time of year 10/12/07 when I was 36 and my children were 2 and 4, I had a bi lateral mast, chemo and reconstruction and Arimidex for 5 years (just about to come off them), so you might say I am an oldie!!!

Anyway, glad you found each other, sorry cancer found you:( look forward to chatting more.

Take care.

Tanya xx