Airline Travel

AnneMc
AnneMc Member Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in General discussion
I had my mastectomy in October 2009 and had not flown since then until recently.

When I flew,I had to wear an arm compression garment due to having some of my underarm lymph nodes removed. The garment was extremely uncomfortable and tight to the point of being painful.

I have decided not to fly again.

How do others cope with this?

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne,  I have been wearing my arm sleeve since my first surgery back in Sept 2006.  I live in Central Queensland so it is hot here most of the year, however that doesn't bother me as opposed to the alternative of lymphdema. Every time I do a long car trip (more than 2 hours) or air travel of any distance I wear it.  I have just had new arm sleeves fitted and I do find them a little tight but not painful.  They should not be painful just firm.  Have you had any trouble with swelling in the arm?  Do you have regular lymphatic drainage massages?   If no to the both questions maybe you could do without the sleeve if it is too painful. Otherwise if I was you I would be looking to have your arm sized more accurately.  My motto is "Don't miss out on opportunities - Do as much as you can".  It would be a shame not to fly again because of a painful sleeve.  It definately would be worthwhile getting resized. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne,  I have been wearing my arm sleeve since my first surgery back in Sept 2006.  I live in Central Queensland so it is hot here most of the year, however that doesn't bother me as opposed to the alternative of lymphdema. Every time I do a long car trip (more than 2 hours) or air travel of any distance I wear it.  I have just had new arm sleeves fitted and I do find them a little tight but not painful.  They should not be painful just firm.  Have you had any trouble with swelling in the arm?  Do you have regular lymphatic drainage massages?   If no to the both questions maybe you could do without the sleeve if it is too painful. Otherwise if I was you I would be looking to have your arm sized more accurately.  My motto is "Don't miss out on opportunities - Do as much as you can".  It would be a shame not to fly again because of a painful sleeve.  It definately would be worthwhile getting resized. XLeonie

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne

I am with Leonie was it fitted correctly. If you dont have lymphoedema and are wearing it as a precaution I wear a 'skin' top it has about the same compression as a ready to wear sleeve and covers the upper body completely. Seems to wokr and is very comfortable. The garment breaths well. The info on garments without a lymphoedema diagnosis is sketchy to say the least. Some practioners will say absolutley, others dont bother. It depends on the extent of surgery and you lymphatics pre op ( which we cant usually tell ). If it is a long flight I suppplement the top with a guantlet ( glove)  cheers Jo

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015

Anne,

Like the others it sounds like your sleeve is the wrong size, they are not supposed to be painful. I would return to where you got it and tell them it is so painful to wear you are planning to no longer travel. Demand they resize you and fit you correctly.

Having BC is bed enough, but letting a badly sized sleeve stop yuo from travelling for the rest of your life is silly.

You have the right to be fitted correctly.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

I recently flew 24hrs to Europe. I don't really get lymphoedema just sometimes my arm feels heavy if I overdo it. I didn't wear a compression sleeve on the flight and I had no problems.You can't predict these things so don't let it stop you from enjoying life.

Tonya xx

• AnneMc
    edited March 2015

Thanks everybody for your replies and help. No, I don't have a problem, the garment is worn as a precaution. I've never had any swelling. Nothing was said about wearing it on car trips. I did a 2 week coach tour with long days coach travel. Don't think I could have done the 2 weeks with it on. The garment  was prescribed by Gold Coast Hospital physiotherapist.

Thank you all so much,

Anne

• AnneMc
    edited March 2015

Thanks everybody for your replies and help. No, I don't have a problem, the garment is worn as a precaution. I've never had any swelling. Nothing was said about wearing it on car trips. I did a 2 week coach tour with long days coach travel. Don't think I could have done the 2 weeks with it on. The garment  was prescribed by Gold Coast Hospital physiotherapist.

Thank you all so much,

Anne

• AnneMc
    edited March 2015

Hi, Jo,

I am wondering about the skin top you mentioned in your reply to me. Can you tell me a bit more about it please?

AnneMc

• AnneMc
    edited March 2015

Hi, Jo,

I am wondering about the skin top you mentioned in your reply to me. Can you tell me a bit more about it please?

AnneMc