Who's been cancer free for years?

Harmonious
Harmonious Member Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in General discussion

Hi ladies,

I am looking for some positive inspiration.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's been in remission after a good few years who once had an aggressive tumour.

I gotta know this happens!

Sick of hearing negative stuff.

Who's got some positive stories for us all? ? ?

xxx

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

one of my friends (dont think she is on this site) is such an inspiration. diagnosed 28 with aggressive tumour and shes coming up to her 10yr mark clear now... i dont know much else about her diagnoses other than it was hormone positive and she has had a baby since. I could put u in contact with her if u like... Just message me... r u on fb - im not on this site daily at the moment (chemo week) 

There are so many good stories out there... good on u for searching for them... :) 

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015

I have been lucky to be cancer free for almost 6 years. Will celebrate by attending my first Biggest Morning tea event on that day 24th May. Hope not to be too emotional now.

My mother had a radical mastectomy for a grade 1 Breast cancer in 1979 was cancer free for 15 years and survived for 26 years dying at 77 a year before my diagnosis.

Work colleague had a relative who had surgery back in the 1960s & then lived in her family home until she died of something else 30 odd years later

The constant research into our group of cancers from funds raised at fun runs, pink footy days, Mothers Day classic, pink buns@ Bakers delight, relay for life that meant I got Herceptin via the PBS and Australia has discovered new test for BC and vaccinations to prevent some/most cervical cancers

The fact that BC is relatively easy to diagnose and in a discrete organ with excellent prognosis!

• Harmonious
    edited March 2015

Hi Sam,

Wow that is great to hear. I'd love to be put in touch with her, if you dont think she would mind?

My email is seek_harmony@**** or I am too on facebook under Harmony Southern.

How are you going with it all? Hows chemo going? Do you have much longer to go?

xox

• Harmonious
    edited March 2015

Thanks ladies, great stories!

• Harmonious
    edited March 2015

Thanks ladies, great stories!

• slightlylopsided
    slightlylopsided Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

Hi Harmonious,

I have been taking Tamoxifen since finishing Radiation Therapy in July 2012.

I can honestly say the only side effect (if it is indeed a side effect and not just my age, 52,  a touch of menopause) very infrequent hot flushes. These are easily managed by staying coolly dressed, or layering my clothes so I can always shed a layer if need be.  But as I said it may not be the Tamoxifen. Just menopause.

Hope this helps with your research. Big hugs to you xxx