TUG Flap Surgery

Hi all,

I'm new to the group..

Just wondering if anyone has had TUG Flap surgery (removal of upper thigh muscle used to reconstruct breast) and if they have had any complications afterwards?

I had a mastectomy last August (a 50th birthday present lol), and after complications with an implant and also an expander implant, it was decided my only option for reconstruction was TUG flap surgery. So within 3 months I ended up with 5 operations and finally my thigh muscles (plus skin, fat and blood vessels) transferred to reconstruct my breast.

That last surgery (TUG flap) was in November and I have had constant issues in my thighs since - constant pain, discomfort, unable to move properly, can't stretch the area and over the last few months have had 8 fluid aspirations and one further surgery to fix seroma (fluid build up).

I can't seem to find anyone who has had this surgery or much information on this (I did find some info on the BCNA website), but would be keen to connect with anyone who has had this surgery and find out how they have recovered.  I have been a runner all my life for mental and physical health, and I'm terrified I am never going to be able to run again.

Cheers,
Ness

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Welcome to the group - so sorry you've had problems with your surgery :(  It sure sounds like you've had a tough time of it :(   

I am not familiar with the TUG procedure - I did a search here using the Search function and there have been a few - most, sadly, with infections :(   One procedure used a different muscle (not the thigh) that you can check out here:  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?query=TUG&sort=-dateInserted&scope=site&source=community

Maybe if you join the Breast Reconstruction Group (a private group where you can raise any issues as only members can see the posts) and put the query there as well?

Also, jump onto this thread & you can read up on other areas of the forum - where you can discuss off topic stuff, like your pets, gardens, art & craft & other subjects - even some funny stuff (God knows we all need a laugh!).  Feel free to add pics of your own pets/garden etc.

There are also 'tick sheets' down the bottom where you can 'self assess' in between appointments - take them along with you to your upcoming appointments xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

If you add your general location in your profile, other members may be able to point you to specific services available in your area xx

Take care & I can fully understand your concern about not being able to run - it is so important not only for your physical fitness, but your mental health as well xx
  • Ness1708
    Ness1708 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much arpie for reaching out!  Will definitely post in the Breast Reconstruction Group also - just waiting to be approved to join (was locked out apparently for being suspicious spam lol) Thanks also for the links!
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi @Ness1708
    I had DIEP reconstruction which is much more common than TUG but there are some stories in the private group from members who had TUG.
    There are also a few Facebook groups including Reclaim Your Curves which also has a website.
    I hope you get the info and support you are looking for.
    If you add your town/city/region to your profile that may help others give you more targeted advice.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

The link above will take you to the site mentioned by Julez
  • Ness1708
    Ness1708 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much @Julez1958 and @iserbrown - I had no idea about Reclaim your Curves or any of these online sites...would have helped immensely when I was in the depths of surgery after surgery and needing more info/advice  :#  so glad to have found it now thanks to this online community  <3
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi @Ness1708
    i do know there are a couple of central coast ladies active on both the Reclaim Your  Curves Facebook page and the private reconstruction group on here.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Other flap techniques - Reclaim Your Curves

Hi @Ness1708

Hopefully reading the Reclaim Your Curves site will help you with where you are at now

There's a wealth of information on this site 

Take care and Best Wishes