Anastrozole

Nadia_F63
Nadia_F63 Member Posts: 9
edited April 2023 in General discussion
Hi everyone first time posting, just wanted to know if anyone is having joint pain around their knee shin area only at night and can’t sleep because of the pain. I have been taking Anastrozole for about 6 months. TIA

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Hi @Nadia_F63 Welcome to the club that no-one thought they'd join!   It's great that you have found us, as we've 'been there, done that' .... so hope to be able to help out with most queries you may have xx

Have you mentioned this pain to your Onc yet?  How long have you had the pain?  My first Onc wasn't very sympathetic to my pain, so I swapped to a lovely lady Onc who immediately swapped my AI to a different one (after having a bit of a break between the two.)  

Unfortunately, some of us have joint pain with the first AI that they try - in my case it was Letrozole (I lasted 6 weeks) then Exemestane (I lasted 6 months) then I went onto Anastrozole & it hasn't been as bad as the 2 previous ones!   

I seriously believe that no matter which AI you start off with, if you are going to have side effects, it will be that first lot of tablets  :(  Some people are lucky enough to have NO side effects!!  Amazing! 

Sometimes panadol or anti inflams help with the pain (but make sure you take the anti inflams with food!). In the USA, they swear by Tart Cherry Capsules - tho not sure if any of our members have used them.  Your Onc should advise you on best bits to try.  Keeping active helps too - tho I know that may 'seem' to aggravate it - but if you don't use it, you lose it :(  ..... I must admit tho, that I have been taking 'the good oil' for a few years now - and it is working for me!  If the oil doesn't 'work' I may take a temase now & then, to aid my sleep. ;)

Feel free to jump onto this thread & read a bit about the forum - we have lots of threads you may be interested in, even have a laugh .... or show us your pets, garden, art & craft - or anything really, that interests you!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care & all the best xx
  • Nadia_F63
    Thank you Arpie for your support, I have told my Onc and he is a wonderful man he has told me to take nurofen it works sometimes. I have started water aerobics and that has helped tremendously so I’ll keep it up and hopefully it keeps the pain away. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you again I look forward to reading the articles. Nadia 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Nadia_F63, check if fish oil is ok to take as well as what you are doing. I am taking Letrozole which is another AI and my oncologist is ok with fish oil. I have 4 a day which is a bit but it helped settle my inflammation in my joints and the pain has subsided. 
  • Nadia_F63
    Thank you @Cath62 I’ll give him a call and see if I can take them 😊
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    @Nadia_F63 - further to the comment made by @arpie above re Tart Cherry Capsules - my husband once got Gout and a natural health worker told him to eat cherries as soon as he felt it coming on so there may some truth in the US data.  It works a treat so no more cruel pharmacy chemicals for him !  We always have a tin of the Woolies Black Cherries in the pantry 'just in case'.   He had a small bowl of the cherries daily, finishing the tin of cherries and juice.
  • Nadia_F63
    Thank You @June1952 that sounds great and natural which is a win win. I’ll give cherries a go off to woolies 😊
  • Ella08
    Ella08 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2023
    Yes have been on letrozole for three months: at the two month mark it all started. I have ankle and knee pain (my ankles are like hinges that don’t work in the morning - I have to ‘get them going’ with a hot pack), hot flushes in the afternoons, feeling down for no apparent reason, my nails are peeling off, my hair is starting to fall out at the front, some insomnia, snappiness. I’ve had to take a week off for a pause from dealing with all this. What a dreadful medication!  To be honest, I hate it soooo much. It’s the worst part of treatment so far for sure. While I’m not likely to stop it, I can understand why people do. Surgeon said the other day; give it six months and some of this might settle, or we can change meds etc. Fortunately, I am doing quite a bit of exercise; it’s the only thing holding me together atm, so I do recommend that. 
  • arpie
    That's a bummer, @Ella08 ... make sure you contact your Onc & advise them of this development - I only lasted 6 weeks on Letrozole, then 6 months on Exemestane & now been on Anastrozole for over 4 years now.  You DON'T have to put up with the pain for another 3 months!

Give the Cherries a go as well .... they may just break the cycle!  xx.  Take care & all the best xx

• Nadia_F63
    Just wondering I am on Anastrozole Sandoz does it make a difference which brand you take? And @arpie i bought some cherries yesterday fingers crossed they work for me 😊
  • arpie
    Some people DO find that changing brands CAN help ..... some have found that even the different coating on the tabs can cause side effects!  I know that one beta blocker I am on - when cut in half, one tastes FOUL but the other tastes fine!  I'll be asking for the pink coated one from now on, not the white one!  

Good luck with the cherries xx. Nice with some icecream, I would think!  ;) 
  • Nadia_F63
    Never thought of trying it with ice cream 😋 @arpie got the Arimidex brand this time so i’ll take notes if i feel any different. 
    Thanks again xx 
  • arpie
    @Nadia_F63 - I meant to tell you that mine is APO-Anastrozole - the original Arimidex added an extra $5 to the PBS script price, which I thought was a bit rude .... 
  • Nadia_F63
    @arpie I know I paid an extra $6 but i’m willing to try anything 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    It seems we are being sort of forced to use the generics of most medications these days due to the added cost of the originals.  I ask where they are made and choose the one from my preferred country !  I do use the generic of a blood pressure medication as it is exactly the same as the original - it looked the same so I rang the company and they confirmed it.
  • Ella08
    Ella08 Member Posts: 6
    arpie said:
    That's a bummer, @Ella08 ... make sure you contact your Onc & advise them of this development - I only lasted 6 weeks on Letrozole, then 6 months on Exemestane & now been on Anastrozole for over 4 years now.  You DON'T have to put up with the pain for another 3 months!

Give the Cherries a go as well .... they may just break the cycle!  xx.  Take care & all the best xx

Thanks so much @arpie, i've made an appointment with RO to discuss