very early diagnosis

Nads07
Nads07 Member Posts: 23
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

I was diagnosed with early breast cancer on the 13th July 2012. I had an operation to remove the lump and one lymph node. everything seemed positive, the lump was small, no history in the family and I found it myself. The lymph node came back positive to everyone surprise, so my surgeon arranged for a second operation to remove the rest of the lymph nodes under my arm. I am now waiting for Thursday to get the results of this. I will find out what sort of treatment will be best for me, I know I will be having radiation and hermonal theropy but not sure if chemo will also be advised. Has anyone had the same experience? and if so what were the results of other lymph nodes removed at the second op?     

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015

Hi Nads07

Nice to say hello but sorry to hear you had to join our group.

I was originally told I had a small lump at time of biopsy at radiotherapy clinic.  I had the lump removed and was told before leaving hospital lump was all removed and no nodes were involved.  Agghhhh relief!!!!! 

Surprise surpise, when I went back for my pre op appointment I was told the lump was much bigger than originally diagnosed, they couldn't get a full clearance because it was a deep lump and close to the chest wall  so not enough clearance and that the 2 nodes removed at first surgery (sentinel node biopsy) were both positive for cancer after they did further investigations.  Needless to say, you can imagine my reaction when hearing this when I thought all I would only need was a lil bit of radiotherapy and get on with my life.  It threw all the plans that hubby and I had discussed out of the water for a little while anyway. Life just went down a different path for a little while.  I was diagnosed end of Nov 2011.

I had my second surgery for total axillary clearance of 19 nodes - all clear.

I have been through 6 cycles of chemo (3 FEC 3 Taxotere) and currently going through 35 treatments of radiotherapy (25 down and 10 to go but who's counting).  I started on Tamoxifin medication approximately one month ago and see the chemo oncologist tomorrow to discuss how that is going and any side effects.

I won't kid you that it has been an easy smooth road but if you are strong and positive and have a lot of love and support around you then it is all very "doable".  You have to learn to take it one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time), accept any form of help when it is offered but make sure you still manage to stay in control of your house, family and loved ones.  Nurture yourself throughout the whole journey right until the end and after.  Don't give yourself false expectations because that will only make you feel worse.  Only do what you are capable of doing at the time.  Each day is different, each person copes differently and we are all individuals who will deal with our feelings seperately.  Just don't expect to much of yourself, you have nothing to prove except that you want to get well and you will do what it takes to get there.  Call upon us if you need us to vent, cry out, ask for help and advice, yell, scream, swear, stamp your feet and all the other things we have all had to do to help us get through this journey.

I am wishing you the best of luck for Thursday and hope it is all good news coming your way.

Remember look after number one, take care.

Mich xoxo 

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015

Hi Nads07

Nice to say hello but sorry to hear you had to join our group.

I was originally told I had a small lump at time of biopsy at radiotherapy clinic.  I had the lump removed and was told before leaving hospital lump was all removed and no nodes were involved.  Agghhhh relief!!!!! 

Surprise surpise, when I went back for my pre op appointment I was told the lump was much bigger than originally diagnosed, they couldn't get a full clearance because it was a deep lump and close to the chest wall  so not enough clearance and that the 2 nodes removed at first surgery (sentinel node biopsy) were both positive for cancer after they did further investigations.  Needless to say, you can imagine my reaction when hearing this when I thought all I would only need was a lil bit of radiotherapy and get on with my life.  It threw all the plans that hubby and I had discussed out of the water for a little while anyway. Life just went down a different path for a little while.  I was diagnosed end of Nov 2011.

I had my second surgery for total axillary clearance of 19 nodes - all clear.

I have been through 6 cycles of chemo (3 FEC 3 Taxotere) and currently going through 35 treatments of radiotherapy (25 down and 10 to go but who's counting).  I started on Tamoxifin medication approximately one month ago and see the chemo oncologist tomorrow to discuss how that is going and any side effects.

I won't kid you that it has been an easy smooth road but if you are strong and positive and have a lot of love and support around you then it is all very "doable".  You have to learn to take it one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time), accept any form of help when it is offered but make sure you still manage to stay in control of your house, family and loved ones.  Nurture yourself throughout the whole journey right until the end and after.  Don't give yourself false expectations because that will only make you feel worse.  Only do what you are capable of doing at the time.  Each day is different, each person copes differently and we are all individuals who will deal with our feelings seperately.  Just don't expect to much of yourself, you have nothing to prove except that you want to get well and you will do what it takes to get there.  Call upon us if you need us to vent, cry out, ask for help and advice, yell, scream, swear, stamp your feet and all the other things we have all had to do to help us get through this journey.

I am wishing you the best of luck for Thursday and hope it is all good news coming your way.

Remember look after number one, take care.

Mich xoxo 

• Nads07
    edited March 2015
    Mich, thank you so much for the beautiful words of encouragement. You abviously had a very similar experience as what I am going through now. As soon as you think its not that bad, something else gets thrown at you..
    My appointment for this afternoon can not come any sooner especially because I have swelling around the surgery area that I'm sure wil need to be drained.
    I wish you well in the rest of your journey, it sounds like you are almost done and it's reasurring to hear you are still positive and keeping strong.
    Thank you for the support, it's nice to know you are not alone. Even though you have loving people around you, actually sharing with people in the same situation is always helpful.
    Nads07 xx
  • Nads07
    edited March 2015
    Mich, thank you so much for the beautiful words of encouragement. You abviously had a very similar experience as what I am going through now. As soon as you think its not that bad, something else gets thrown at you..
    My appointment for this afternoon can not come any sooner especially because I have swelling around the surgery area that I'm sure wil need to be drained.
    I wish you well in the rest of your journey, it sounds like you are almost done and it's reasurring to hear you are still positive and keeping strong.
    Thank you for the support, it's nice to know you are not alone. Even though you have loving people around you, actually sharing with people in the same situation is always helpful.
    Nads07 xx
  • Nads07
    edited March 2015

well, i got my results from the axillary disection and it was good news. only one of the lymph node removed had a few micro specs and pretty insignificant i was told. This is good news for me and my family.

I was introduced to the Oncologist and apparently i may still be advised to do chemo as well as radiation and hormonal theropy as part of my treatment. This is because the sential node was postive of cancer. My next appointment is to do a CT scan and some other test and this will help work out a treatment plan for me.The oncologist told me and my huband to come to the appointment armed with lots of questions, "no question is a stupid question" he said.  I know i have a lot of research to do on treatments but if anyone has any suggestion on what i should ask, please suggest. There may be things that you ladies have been through that i may never even think about.

I am still trying to take one step at a time and this is now my next step. I will appriciate any advise.

Nads07 xx 

• Ness
    Ness Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015

Hi Nads

If you have to have chemo and don' want to lose your hair Penguin Cold Caps can prevent hair loss provided they are used for your first & subsequent chemo's.

If you are interested in using them let me know as I've just created a group on this site called : Penguin Cold Caps - Save your hair from chemo!

Let me know if you would like to receive more info about them. They do work and it will take approximately 1 week to get the caps to you for use on your first chemo. Its hard enough doing the chemo without having the reminder of what you're going through every time you look in the mirror!

Good luck!

Ness x

• Ness
    edited March 2015

Hi Nads

If you have to have chemo and don' want to lose your hair Penguin Cold Caps can prevent hair loss provided they are used for your first & subsequent chemo's.

If you are interested in using them let me know as I've just created a group on this site called : Penguin Cold Caps - Save your hair from chemo!

Let me know if you would like to receive more info about them. They do work and it will take approximately 1 week to get the caps to you for use on your first chemo. Its hard enough doing the chemo without having the reminder of what you're going through every time you look in the mirror!

Good luck!

Ness x

• Kelly C
    Kelly C Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Hi ness

I'm starting chemo on 31st October and using cold caps. Wanted info on shampoo and conditioner to use. Also my hair is colored as its grey has anyone used natural hair colours while cold capping?
  • Kelly C
    edited March 2015
    Thanks ness for quick reply. I've been offered them at the Mater Hospital.
  • Ness
    edited March 2015

Hi Kelly

Its good to see hospitals are finally accepting the caps! They should all have them to offer anyone who wants them.

What are they charging you to use them or are they providing them as a service with costs all inclusive?

Kind regards

Ness x

• Kelly C
    edited March 2015

I believe they are inclusive.  Sometimes I'm that off the air at these appointments I don't catch everything.

• Kelly C
    edited March 2015

I believe they are inclusive.  Sometimes I'm that off the air at these appointments I don't catch everything.