Mastectomy

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    @Christabel03

Not to my knowledge! Breast reconstruction can be quite varied and sometimes a lengthy process, women find it very useful to talk with others before and during the process. A single or even bilateral mastectomy may have some complications but the issues of how people manage post mastectomy, who opt for no reconstruction, tend to be covered specifically by those who choose to be flat and fabulous, or who use a prosthesis (like me) or who have a particular side effect (such as a seroma) rather than in one specific group. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @Christabel03 yes, there is one called Flat and Fabulous which I think is on Facebook and maybe has its own website, and a couple others that are similar. 
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi @Christabel03, thats a good question. While the 'Choosing Breast Reconstruction' group generally speaks to those people who are considering different reconstruction options, there are the occasional members who have joined the group and have opted for no reconstruction and shared their story. The Facebook group suggested looks like a good option.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Not everyone is on Facebook and the BCNA site is 'reputable' so that is a good suggestion @Christabel03.  Flat and Fabulous does not really include the one-boob scenario either.  Good to have all information and stories on the one site, too. 
    Worth having a Group @Mez_BCNA ?  Have to think about a different title .......
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    @ June1952 Have definitely made note of the suggestion to bring up at our next Helpline Team meeting.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Flat and Fabulous 
    or Remaining Flat after mastectomy ?

There have been a variety of threads on here over time on this topic and the thing about a private group is members can post stories and photos that can only be seen by members of the group .

I do remember being fascinated about a discussion about “ Goldilocks” closure and also many breast cancer surgeons  have done further training in aesthetic fiat closure without actually being full on plastic surgeons ( oncoplastic surgery).
  • June1952
    Good points @Julez1958.  Hopefully BCNA will consider the suggestion by @Christabel03.
    I had never heard of the 'Goldilocks' closure so that was interesting.
    Unfortunately in the regions there are fewer plastic surgeons and some only do reductions etc.  Much surgery is done by general surgeons whose aim is to just cut the beast out and they don't even do recons at all.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi yes I heard about the Goldilocks procure on a US Facebook group.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I think a ‘flat’group on this network is a great idea and I’m happy to be involved Mez. I went flat( profilactic mastectomy) 6 months ago and let me tell you,it takes some navigating!
    I’m fast becoming an expert in crop tops and clothes altering.
  • June1952
    Thanks for your input @TonyaM.  The clothes issue is something we don't even think about at the start of this journey so tips would be welcomed by many as they navigate the eventual fashion impact of their decisions.
  • Christabel03
    Christabel03 Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2023
    @TonyaM exactly!!! I am staring down the barrel of going flat and I have no clue on clothing, sizing, crop tops or anything else!  :open_mouth: And to be honest I didn't know where to go with all my questions which is why I asked if there was a group in the first instance. There is so much you don't consider at the start of this journey as @June1952 has rightly mentioned. 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi @Christabel03,
    we need a flat group here!! I’m going to push for this. Flatties unite, Going Flat, Flat out, some title ideas? How are you going with your decisions? It’s not easy to choose taking a healthy breast off but I was so sick of being lopsided and the worry. It’s taken me a good 6 months to get used to being flat but I’m glad I did it. Happy to chat anytime.
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Yes please, I’d like a Flat Group.  Talk about clothing hassles: I’ve lost quite a bit of weight, and now find my own one boob doesn’t fill its side of my (very expensive) bra the way the prosthesis fills the other. So I have to muck about adding extra stuffing!  This is one (but just one) of the reasons I’m considering going flat.
  • June1952
    Please include us lopsided members in the title @Tonya as I am sure you have a wealth of information on this subject.
    Ladies end up lopsided for a number of reasons and not always at their choice.  Me ?  I was rushed in, I had no previous knowledge about BC and, as the surgeon did not do reconstructions, I was not given any information, let alone the opportunity to go flat at the beginning.
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    edited January 2023
    When elective surgery was restricted during Covid, I doubt a surgeon would be able to remove a healthy breast.  I didn’t even ask.