Cancer %

Pommy8
Pommy8 Member Posts: 128
I'd love to know if there is a big increase in breast cancer and other cancers since 2019.
I'm hearing of so many and from strangers on the phone in my job and personally from all different age groups.

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    @Mez_BCNA any stat's on cancer percentages since 2019 for breast cancer?
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    @Cath62 and @Pommy8, for the most accurate cancer data in Australia I would refer you to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). You can specifically search for breast cancer data for visualisations such as: incidence by age, morality by age, survival by age etc. Hope this assists Cancer data in Australia, Cancer incidence by age visualisation - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (aihw.gov.au)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    There’s been a lot of media commentary about people not keeping up their mammogram and other test appointments during the pandemic. Whether this can possibly lead to
    more diagnoses, or rather later ones, is less clear. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I feel the same @Pommy8. It’s as if everywhere I turn someone has been diagnosed with cancer ☹️. A lot more than prior 2020 imo. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I also think the methods of detecting all cancers have improved so much, that they are obviously 'finding' more ..... and the awareness to get checked asap if anything (pain/lumps/bumps) present themselves for longer than a week or two .... unless it is blood in the stool or elsewhere - in which case, get checked NOW!

I reckon most of my friends & their extended friends would know of someone currently with cancer - Many have had a close member of the family with it ....

Most have or will be touched by it eventually.  :(
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Thanks @Mez_BCNA
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    I agree with @arpie in that the early detection of BC is a contributing factor.
    People are far more aware these days and do make the effort to have scans as a regular part of their medical regime.
    In the past the "C word" was never mentioned where nowadays people do tell others of their diagnosis.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Good observation @Fufan...I bit like when you're pregnant, you notice all the other pregnant women walking around or if you've recently purchased a certain model car, you notice how many of them are on the road.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Until I got diagnosed with breast cancer I didn’t know  much about it and no one in my family ever had it.
    It’s fair to say it wasn’t on my radar.
    When my breast cancer surgeon told me the statistic that one in eight Australian women would be diagnosed with breast cancer  I was totally shocked .
    At my two yearly routine check up with my dermatologist about 12 months after my BC diagnosis we were discussing this statistic and she said to me “ when I was at med school it was one in 15 - what has caused the increase”?She is a fairly mature  lady.
    I thought to myself “ well you’re the Dr!”
    Which goes to show that these answers are not easily revealed.
    I do understand that part of the reason for the increased percentage is that women are living longer ( so longer to get the disease) and screening has got more widespread and better at picking it up .

• Pommy8
    Pommy8 Member Posts: 128
    I work in medical patients on the phone telling me they have it not something they have done in the last 6 years but in the last few months noticed alot.
    2 friends in the last 2 months nothing to do with age I've friends who have friends with it varying age groups 30,40 and 50 .
    I'd love to see if there is abig jump in breast cancer in the last 2 years.
    I was all for the covid jab but makes you wonder.
  • Tammy9
    Tammy9 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2023
    I feel that as a teacher, I was working from 8am - 12:30am for at least 6 days a week. I didn't look after myself and was literally worked to death and under immense stress to meet school curriculum expectations. Working full-time in a school didn't leave much "me" time and breast cancer checks didn't happen when they should've be done. ☹️