Genetic testing done through private health system

Options
pinkhope
pinkhope Member Posts: 12
I have been advised that the genetic test results in the public system in Victoria are only available 4-6 weeks after the blood test. Any with experience on how this can be expedited? Also, any pointers to whether it can be done quicker if done through private system and in that case only references to private hospitals/ centres for the same?

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Hi @pinkhope, I am in qld and had genetic testing done privately with a geneticist. He used a company in America called color I think. It tool 4 weeks. I am not sure about the timing in the public system here. 
  • pinkhope
    pinkhope Member Posts: 12
    Options
    @Cath62 - Thanks for the info. If it is okay, please share how much did it cost?
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    @pinkhope it was $400 all out of pocket.
  • Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    Options
    No way to have genomic testing in the Victorian Public system expedited. This is because it actually takes 4 - 6 weeks for them to analyse data so they can tell you what mutations you have. It is a very labour intensive job and there are not a whole lot of people with expertise to do the analysis. I know this because I used to work in a lab that did molecular testing for blood cancers which was alongside of a laboratory that did molecular testing on solid tumours (at Peter Mac in Melbourne).
  • GenK
    GenK Member Posts: 65
    Options
    With the private genetic testing, sounds like cost starts around $400, but is there privacy guarantees that it’ll only be used for these markers then destroyed rather than going on a database? I’m not trying to sound paranoid but I’m cautious with biological material. I’m asking as told I’m not eligible for the public testing as in the cases of my mother and her mother the BC is considered ‘age related’, and as my father’s mother died from BC before I was born (in her 50’s) and I haven’t had contact with his sister after the siblings became estranged when I was young I don’t know risk from that side, hence considering private testing if I can save up the funds.