Arrival

PatLinda
PatLinda Member Posts: 2
Hello, I've been in cancerland for 3 months officially. I have Invasive Lobular Breast Carcinoma in one breast with no lymph node diagnosis. I'm 77 and never imagined that this would happen - thought all those risks were done with. After 3 months of being pretty stunned I'm now encountering grief, annoyance and fear. I've been on Letrozole and take Vit D3/Calcium. The side effects have been more than unpleasant but have eased a great deal since I changed the brand to one with the least possible 'fillers' (I have allergies to 'fillers' which I'd been too brain-fogged to realise/recall that I would be stepping into a world of pain/nausea/vision problems etc etc - stupid of me). I'm prepared to keep going now as within a day I began to come out of the twilight zone - test soon to see if 'it' is shrinking. I think the worst of it is the isolation - not wanting to burden family and friends. So I took the step and that is why I'm gratefully here -
Tagged:

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi @PatLinda
    Welcome to the club no one wants to join.
    You have come to the right place - there is lots of support on this forum and lots of information on this website.
    I too had invasive lobular cancer - it is most likely to affect post menopausal women ( as opposed to the more common type - ductal).
    I was 62 when diagnosed and am now 64 , had double mastectomy , radiotherapy , reconstruction and have been on hormone suppressing (AI ) drugs for 18 months ( started on Letrazole , moved to Aromosin  3 months ago to try and deal with side effects.)
    Everyone deals with the breast cancer journey differently but the various stages of grief affect us all.
    I liken it to grieving a death - the death of our former “ bulletproof” selves.
    The feeling that cancer is something that happens to other people is common and most do not know that one in 7 women in Australia will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
    Others will pop on here with lots of practical advice ( and the more tech savvy than me with links) but the main thing I wanted to say was you are not alone .
    Take care🌺
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @PatLinda, sorry you are going through this. It is very hard to process everything. All the new terms, surgery and treatment. It is very overwhelming and 3 months in is early days. Many women help get with a psychologist to get through this grief, anger etc. It is a lonely experience even if family and friends are around. It's a journey others just don't really get but we do so always know people in this community are here for you.

I was diagnosed in 2020 during lockdown. What a nightmare. I had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and radium and then hormone suppression. I had tamoxifen first and the side effects really got me so after a break of 6 wks I have stated Letrozole. Early days on that but I will give that a go. If the side effects are too bad my oncologist said we can try another one. I guess my message is don't suffer side effects as there may be other options and depending on the side effects there may be things that can help. Take care. Sending you a hug 💐
  • PatLinda
    PatLinda Member Posts: 2
    How kind - I was feeling very isolated as it's not something easily shared. This confirms my decision to come here - thankyou XX
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    @PatLinda, I understand. There are many layers to breast cancer and emotions run deep. You can say anything here. It's hard to share with family and friends. I found some were great and others I just could not take on my journey. It's ok. This is your time. It's not about anyone else. People care but they don't know what to say or how to help. Maybe consider telling family or friends what they can do to help. Just a thought.