Newbie here

Options
Perthpal
Perthpal Member Posts: 2
Hello I’m new to this group. I was diagnosed with a rare cancer (ACC) in the breast in 2015. I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation, I had yearly mammogram follow ups.
I was diagnosed again with ACC in the same breast in May 2022, not sure if reoccurrence or new diagnosis? I had a mastectomy last week, in hosp Monday and home on Tuesday 😁.. I was apprehensive about the treatment and expected lots of pain and discomfort but was very pleasantly surprised with no pain at all. I had the drain removed on Friday and expect a good full recovery.
I’m now finding I need a good fitting bra, I found comfy ones but cannot keep the op side down. I struggle with comfy fitting bras as due to past radiation I cannot wear underwire or even tight under bras, I’m also overweight and a size DD cup. I will wait until I have healed and find a fitter and a prosthesis (I’m in Perth If any recommendations)....

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Hi @Perthpal. I am only a cup size C but had the same problem with keeping the bra down on the op side. My hubby laughed when I borrowed his fishing sinkers to slot into my bra. Wasn't real effective but was good for a chuckle, especially when they kept clanging together. Maybe a small wheat bag might work? Have fun experimenting.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Dear Perthpal,
    I hope that the links that iserbrown has given are useful.
    My first post op bra was supplied at the hospital, and I was given a soft temporary insert.
    I don't remember having too much trouble. But I went bra-less at home.
    I'm guessing at 6-8 weeks I was fitted with a proper silicon prosthesis.
    This is covered by Medicare, and every 2 yrs.
    For the most part it fitted well. They come in different weights.
    Your bra fitter and prosthesis fitter ( should be the same person ideally), should be able to fit you with the best prosthesis and bra.
    I was an 18DD. I did find my bras drifted to my remaining breast side. No one else noticed, but it did annoy me.
    My experience of Radiotherapy was not bad. My Mastectomy, Chemo and R/T was all in 2020.
    Probably not relevant to you just now. But I had breast reconstruction 6 weeks ago.
    I wasn't suitable for the DIEP, and have had a R Lat Dorsi, and L prophylactic Mastectomy, both with tissue expanders.
    I am symmetrical and currently an A/B cup. I'll probably expand to a C cup. 50 pls per week until I'm happy.
    Then the Implants.

• Perthpal
    Perthpal Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Abbydog I too am an 18dd 😁 I will go to breastcare wa for a fitting and prosthesis when I’ve healed a bit more. I was given a knitted one at the hospital and now trying to source more.  It’s earlydays for me yet but I’m sure I’ll get there...
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I’m a long term mono-boober, I was driven a bit potty with a soft pad for months but a properly fitted prosthesis made all the difference. Best wishes.