Post surgery

13»

Comments

• Marycipk
    Marycipk Member Posts: 17
    PET scan clear on Monday but had level 1 lymph clearance yesterday.  Home now and not much pain thankfully and mastectomy healing well. I have my first chemo appt next week and am just realizing it's going to be expensive. What can I expect? I am being treated privately and feeling worried 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Hi @Marycipk, glad that are home and recovering well. I was a private patient and never paid anything for chemo. I had my chemo at icon cancer. The icon i attended was next to the hospital where I had my surgery. I had no out of pocket costs for chemo. Each time I received my chemo treatment I was admitted like they do in hospital but a far more streamlined process ie I just had to sign in. I was met by a nurse and taken either to a recliner chair or bed. They then checked my blood to ensure I was well enough for chemo before administering the chemo drugs. They also gave me steroids and anti nausea meds before stating too. Treatment took a couple of hrs and then I would head home. My oncologist always saw me during my chemo session.  I handled chemo pretty well. I lost my hair but I never got sick. I did get tired a few days after treatment but I walked every day and ate well. Maybe check with the place you are having chemo to see about costs and the process or ask your oncologist.  Best wishes 
  • Marycipk
    Oh that's so encouraging I'm going to icon in midland 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Much the same as @Cath62 - my only out of pocket for chemo was if my treatments exceeded four in a month (depending on the day of weekly chemo that was only once or twice). I always saw my oncologist before chemo and nurses are very vigilant about checking you over before starting. During weekly chemo, I went to work afterwards (nice walk through the park). I had my first chemo in hospital but you may want to have someone with you, at least first time, in case if any reaction. Best wishes. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited May 2022
    Great that the scan is clear @Marycipk - and that you are going well with recovery.

Hubby is going thru private chemo just now (at our local private hospital) - He always sees the Onc before starting treatment ($100 of which  about $60+ is repaid by medicare - last year we reached the 'threshold' in Oct, so no more fees.) The cost of chemo is totally covered, but for some reason, he has to pay for a couple of the meds that they hand out each time ($6 each.)  If we went to our closest town with a public hospital or cancer centre, it would all be free, including the Onc fee .... but that is 1/2hr away & a dangerous road when wet ....   We have the same Onc & I go there for my appts for free (no chemo), but we are keeping it simple for hubby's chemo treatment and have it at 'home'.

Definitely ask the Onc about expected fees before you see them next week - and if big $$ are mentioned for chemo, ask why?  A different Onc may not 'charge'?   Has someone already indicated to you that it WILL be exxy?  Usually a written quote is given, too.

Do you have a Breast Care Nurse?  They could do the questioning on your behalf & get back to you?
  • Marycipk
    So saw the chemo man today. Good news the second surgery to remove level one lymphs has left me cancer free we are all so happy.  Now I have 5 months of chemo ahead. I'm skipping the really nasty one because of my spinal injury and as it might make my existing nerve damage worse. Starting on Monday 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Good surgery results @Marycipk. Wishing you all the best for chemo. Hopefully you will manage it ok. Best wishes 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Great news with the surgery results, @Marycipk .. and good that you can skip the nasty chemo ...

All the best for Monday.  Keep your fluids up afterwards xx

take care