Womanhood when you're diagnosed young

Linda87
Linda87 Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone, 

I'm 34 and recently diagnosed. Last Friday I started chemo after a found of egg freezing. So far I've focused on survival and have been taking things one step at a time but now that treatment has started, I'm thinking about how life will change. 

Will I still be able to have biological children? And if not, how do I mourn that loss and would I want to adopt? What does this mean for love and sex when I just started a new relationship right before diagnosis? 

Is anyone else in the same boat? How are you doing? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi there,
    I am not a “ youngie” but suggest you ask to join the group “ Young Women” on here - have a look at “ Groups” in the bottom right hand corner of this page.
    Sending you virtual hugs .
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Sorry to see you 'join the club' @Linda87 .... you're in the right spot for support tho.

I am pretty sure we have other members who've been thru egg freezing .... I put it in the 'search bar' on the Discussions page - and these links popped up (not all to do with egg freezing!) @youngdogmum may be able to help you with some of the questions you've asked ....
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?search=egg+freezing&adv=1&discussionid=20581#search-results

As @Julez1958 says - join the Young Women's group - I'll tag @Mez_BCNA (the moderator) to hopefully sign you up to it.  xx

You have a lot of things going on ..... have you been assigned a Breast Care Nurse yet?  You could put some of these questions past her (or your surgeon) .... take care & all the best with your ongoing treatment xx

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi @Linda87, I have added you to the young women group :) 
  • Linda87
    Linda87 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks ladies <3
    @youngdogmum I'm glad to hear about life resuming afterwards. Most days I do feel hopeful. But sometimes, it just plain sucks.

@arpie I have been assigned a breast nurse. She's been lovely.

Thank you @Mez_BCNA
  • jessicai
    jessicai Member Posts: 4
    Hi @Linda87, I have just been diagnosed and have the same concerns as you. Thank you so much for posting, reading the comments in this thread has been reassuring :) I hope that everything is going well for you in your journey.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    @jessicai I am Sorry to see you join the club that no-one really wants to join xx  It's good that you've found us tho, as you can bounce stuff off those who've gone before you.  Joining the Young Women's Group could be a good idea - you can discuss things in complete privacy.    @Mez_BCNA - could you arrange for @jessicai to join the Young Women's Group, please?

Feel free to jump onto the Newly Diagnosed section & tell us a bit about yourself - if you add you 'general area/town' to your Profile (click on your name, go to the settings wheel [top far right] and click 'edit' ) then members in the same area can point you to specific services that they are aware of, for your ongoing treatment & recovery. xx 

Jump onto this thread to read about other 'more fun' areas in the forum ... and a link to tick sheets down the bottom, to help formulate questions for your team. xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care & all the best for your ongoing treatment xx. In the early days, take a trusted friend with you as support & an 'extra set of ears' - and consider recording them on your phone, to 'go over' again, later on, if need be xx

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi @jessicai, glad to see you have found the online network and I have accepted your request to join the private group.