Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Radiation On Lesion

Saw the Radiation Oncologist today. She feel that the radiation will help. Have staging on Thursday then I’m to have 5 zaps over 5 days. It could take up to 4 weeks to know what the full benefit will be. Its worth a try
reay liked this rad oncologists the last one had no bedside manner at all. Didn’t explain anything. And didn’t believe i had mets said it was all arthritis that was 2 and half years ago 
glad my main oncologist didn’t believe him. And started treatment for the lesions immediately. 
I know the radiation is not going to cure the mets but it will hopefully help with the pain. And if the Ibrance along with Armidex works to slow down the growth of the lesions and not get anymore I’m in for the long haul

Comments

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Well done,in this day and age it seems impossible to believe that a radiation oncologist would think it was arthritis,please let me know how you go, I had one zap of radiation about 5 years ago on my back and it has worked up until now,will be talking to my oncologist about if I can haver any more for pain relief,or the pain could just be the result of the new chemo side effects, we will see,so pleased to hear you are here for the long haul, so am I!!!!
    wendy55
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Good on you for chasing it down ... and I am SO glad you get on well with your Rad Onc - it really is SO important to get on well with your medicos .... as you'll feel more comfortable raising ANY question with them, without fear of being ignored or belittled.

Fingers crossed it does the trick, straight up xx. Definitely let us know how you go xx

I hope you can have another zap too @wendy55 xx
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    Hopefully some exciting news tomorrow Rad oncologist rang me today after reviewing my case. Looking into different type of radiation a full explanation tomorrow  at my staging appointment. 
    Will keep you updated once i get me head around it all 
  • cranky_granny
    Ive been head caged and body packed into place, positioned and some extra tattoos
    the original ones were still in the right spot just needed some more
    now just waiting for my zap dates
    from what I understand I’m not to move at all. Also waiting on a call back regarding a couple of questions re meds etc also i have been told it does have a certain additional level of pain. If this works as well as they hope it will be life changing 
    heres hoping. 
    Its worth the try though there's no guarantee just hope 
  • arpie
    Fingers & Toes crossed that it does the trick @cranky_granny. xx 

It would be wonderful if your pain could be controlled xx.  I hope the wait isn't too long before it starts xx

• cranky_granny
    @arpie. Hi there
    i am still gathering information on this radiation apparently they have had a great deal of success of eliminating my type of metastatic lesions with this particular radiation as i have only 2 lesions and so far there hasn’t been anymore anywhere else in the 2 years I’ve had them. 
    As my sister in-law said today its about time i got a break after 9 years of struggle after struggle not just my bc 
    it sometimes feels like the last straw and the camels back going to break, then something good comes along to give me hope
  • cranky_granny
    It’s on
    1st radiation Happy Valentines 😆. On Monday
    Medial Oncologist yesterday. Great news. Instead of my bloods levels steadying  before going down  it dropped by 30%. Needless to say Dr was wrapped and so was I whites came back to an acceptance level. Whatever that means
    pain meds upped and to stay on the Slow release till after Radiation is finished and done it’s job. When I arrive at clinic I’m to take an Endone before they start, apparently it's going to take 30 minutes to set me up   Onward and upward I have never felt quite so positive with things for a long time. My kids are cheering 
  • arpie
    AWESOME NEWS @cranky_granny xx  That is Great that the whites have come back - they are the ones they really look for (neutrophils I think they are ...) as when they are too low, you may be susceptible to any & all bugs  xx

I hope the pain meds keep everything under control too.  Terrific that you can tolerate Endone - it makes me throw up! :( 

Take care & all the best for Monday - I hope you don't have to travel too far xx
  • cranky_granny
    Monday has come and getting a tad nervous. Getting dropped off at 2:30. Will be finished at about 4:30. 
    Also Get my appointments today re any  more i might need. 
    I’ve organised a busy morning to keep me distracted. Can’t cross my finger as I will be pinned and packed into place. 
    Wish me luck  🍀 
  • arpie
    edited February 2022
    xxx. Deep breaths.  We'll cross our fingers & toes for you xx

All the best xx
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • cranky_granny
    One down 5 to go 
  • arpie
    Hope it wasn't too claustrophobic for you xx. How long before you are expected to 'feel the difference'?  
  • cranky_granny
    @arpie
    it felt a bit pin prick warm and like a pressed feeling on the rib. I came home with a good headache. I must have been tense when they clamped my head and shoulder’s down in the cage my jaw was locked and hurting when they lifted it off, next time i will breath out when it goes on. 
    They did the rib today the S1 Spine on Wednesday then Thursday rib again Friday spine. Next Monday rib, tues spine. And that should be it. 
    I’ll keep you posted
    its Called Image Guided Radiation Therepy. IGRT.   
    There are some other abbreviations on my schedule sheet but not sure what they mean. I’ll find out soon enough. 
  • cranky_granny
    Im past halfway had 2 Zapps on each lesion. The rib one is just warm and feels thick if that makes sense. 
    The one on my sacrum thats a different story. The treatment has made it hurt more than prior to radiation and the nerve pain down my leg and in my foot worse as well 
    the dizziness has gone up a level along with tiredness 
    all i can say is, this has to work. 
    Only 2 more Zapp's to go.
    i have only 1 more week off work. It was bad timing with BAS’s due this week but this is more important.