4 years since BC diagnosis & joining BCNA & my surgery ...

arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,521
Woohoo!  This year was the first year that I didn't actually 'remember' that Jan 5th was the anniversary of my actual diagnosis of BC ...... so that must be a good sign!

So - today - it is now 4 years ago since I joined BCNA (at the suggestion of a girlfriend in Qld who had been diagnosed a few years earlier) .... and a few days later, Jan 15th, I had my surgery.

What a roller coaster ride it has all been .... lots of tears, anger, melt downs, but there's also been lots of laughs and education - all emotions are a part of this shitty disease - but, newbies, take note - it DOES get better!

During this time, I've really appreciated all the support & info & camaraderie from the group - but especially the wonderful friendships that I've made along the way - with regular PMs within 'The Famous Five' over the years ....  xx.  

So ... a big THANK YOU to all of you who've helped make a difference 

All the best to those who've been recently diagnosed ...... reach out, lean on us, ask questions, and we'll do our best to offer support and info to help get you thru the rough bits xx

take care, stay safe 

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Congratulations @arpie. Good on you. It's a big achievement and I am pleased you shared. It's good for us all to hear the positive stories. Thank you too for all your support and wisdom. This group is just the best because of people like you. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Congratulations @arpie that's fantastic news.   You are such a champion for those of us that find ourselves here.  Thankyou for sharing your wisdom and advice.  Your sense of humour.   Could not have got through many times without your thoughtful messages.    Xxxx
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    I second that @arpie
    I have found your posts thoughtful and
    informative and love your sense of humour.
    It is good for all of us to hear the positive stories to help us through the tough patches.
    🌺
  • Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    That’s fabulous @arpie! Thank you so much for always adding so much insight and compassion to your posts. You are always there for those of us who join and take those first tentative steps to post something. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @arpie,

best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Good on ya, @arpie.  I must admit, once I got the scan and review appointment done late last year, I forgot about it all, too.  Must be something about the 4 year mark.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    That’s awesome news @arpie!! 🥳🥳 What a wonderful feeling to forget your diagnosis date!! 😀😀😀. 
    I’m glad you’re doing well ☺️. And yes, it does get better ♥️
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    edited January 2022
    Well done @arpie 🏆 
    I have to admit my diagnosis date was never remembered (put the stress out of my mind ?) but, even 7 years on, the date of my first surgery sticks out every year.
    With all you have to cope with right now it is a wonder you remember anything.  😀
    Wishing you continued good health.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Yes I think I will always remember the date of my DIEP flap surgery - 6 August - Hiroshima Day.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    I am coming up to the five year mark of my surgery on 24 January, I guess I still have it firmly ingrained in my brain.  Hoping I forget it after this and just is another day.  
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    @arpie Keep up the greatness that is you. I consider you a friend. With our sharing on here. 
    When you believe in yourself you can get there. If it falters we just jump on here have a laugh or get inspiration or some advise. 
    Till my next trip north this site will have to substitute 

• arpie
    edited January 2022
    Thanks everyone for the kind words -  it is a real roller coaster ride that never really ends, as we all know - and if external events occur to make it harder .... sadly, that happens too.  :(

Looking forward to catching up again soon, @cranky_granny xx   Let me know when you are passing thru next xx

take care ladies xx

The good thing is, that I actually remembered our 35th wedding anniversary this year (we are both famous for forgetting!) And it was round about my surgery date!! ;)  We celebrated with Pizza!!  :) 
  • 4Coco
    4Coco Member Posts: 48
    Congratulations Arpie on both your Anniversary achievements.    As a newbie I want to say thank you to you and the other lovely ladies who help answer the questions we newbies raise.  Smiles to all*!* 
  • arpie
    Our pleasure, @4Coco - it is still fresh enough in our minds, that we fully remember being newbies ourselves xx

Not question is too small and NONE are silly xx. Take care