Surgery without further Treatment

SazziBloss
SazziBloss Member Posts: 10
Good Morning / Afternoon, 
I received my pathology results just prior to Xmas 2021 after double mascetomy.
ITCs found in the Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy on the left side ~ considered a negative result.
Plan is for no further treatment, though I will speak to an Oncologist for further information. 
Has anyone here just had surgery with no further treatment?
I'm very grateful for this outcome and appreciative of any further support or advice.
Thanks in advance.
Sazzi

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Sazzi, no I haven't heard of this but good to talk to the oncologist. Treatment is usually determined from pathology results. The surgeon may have a view of no further treatment but it's the oncologist who really makes the decision on meds, chemo and radium etc. Best wishes for the future.
  • SazziBloss
    Hi @Cath62,
    Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. 
    Kind regards, 
    Sazzi 
  • SazziBloss
    Hi @iserbrown,
    Thank you for the links. 

3 types of cancer were identified in pathology ~ Paget's Disease of Nipple / Areola, High Grade DCIS and microscopic  HEP2 positive cells. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I had a DMX. If my surgeon had left clear margins, I wouldn’t have needed further treatment. I had multifocal and bilateral breast ca, not aggressive, stage 1. I needed bilateral radiation due to the reason mentioned. 
  • SazziBloss
    Hi @FLClover,
    Thank  you for your reply. 
    Hopefully with clear margins the recommendation for no further treatment will remain unchanged. 
    It's good your doctors didn't take any chances with you. 
    Kind regards, 
    Sazzi
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi @SazziBloss
    I had mastectomy for large (5.5cm) grade 2 lobular cancer which had not spread  to my lymph nodes.
    My oncologist did not recommend chemotherapy , although she did recommend hormonal therapy ( as my cancer was ER positive) .
    My breast cancer surgeon said it was not written in stone that I have radiotherapy but that I needed to speak to the radiation oncologist he referred me to about that.
    Mainly because of the size of my tumour she recommended radiotherapy but if it had of been small I could likely have skipped it.
    I followed all recommendations as I figure they are the experts and everything they said made sense to me.
  • SazziBloss
    Great @Julez1958
    I agree it's good to trust and have faith in the experts. 
    Best wishes. 
    Kind regards, 
    Sazzi
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    edited January 2022
    I opted for a single mastectomy rather than lumpectomy so that I could avoid radiotherapy (assumption was that sentinel nodes would be clear, which they were). I then had genomic testing (Endopredict) to see if Chemo would be of benefit or not. All initial talks were that I wouldn't need chemo, but when it came crunch time with the medical oncologist she said she wanted me to consider it given my "young" age (45). Apparently medical opinions tend to change when they're trying to buy you 40 more years rather than 10 or 20 etc.

Mine was ER+ so I'm on tamoxifen for 5 years and will then likely switch to an AI for another 5. So not 'no' treatment, but I do feel like I've gotten off lightly in the scheme of cancer treatments, even though my surgery was quite major.
  • SazziBloss
    Hi @StrongCoffee,
    Thanks for your information, I feel very lucky too, almost like it's been too easy, despite the major surgery I've had. 
    Kind regards, 
    Sazzi
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited January 2022
    Hi @SazziBloss, welcome to the blog. You are in the right spot for helpful info and support  xx

Definitely see the Onc .. that is THEIR area of expertise (not the surgeon's) and they cover both decisions on chemo and/or hormone therapy.  Maybe Even seeing a Rad Onc as well, just to cover all the bases ....  your Medical Onc will possibly suggest that.  Mine did. 

Mine was small, caught early and clear margins (tho one was 'tight').  It was decided NO Chemo, but I had rads and am on tabs.  

It is also just good to have another couple of sets of eyes going over your surgery area and your results  .. for peace of mind that all bases have been covered. 

Take care, all the best for your ongoing appts and treatment xx

Check out this post for some general info on the blog ... and 'tick sheets' down the bottom that may you help formulate  questions to your team xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest
  • SazziBloss
    Hi @arpie,
    Thanks ever so much, that is very helpful. 
    Kind regards,
    Sazzi
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @SazziBloss,

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • SazziBloss
    edited January 2022
    Thanks @jennyss you are awesomeness x
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @SazziBloss Great to read you have had such a successful surgery with good results.
     I had DCIS in 2017, stage 1 but aggressive. I had a lumpectomy with clear margins & no node involvement. I was refereed to a radiation oncologist for his opinion on whether I needed rad treatment. After much discussion, we agreed that I would have a 15 dose rad treatment but only because my DCIS was aggressive plus I had a family history of cancer.
    Now, I am on no medication & have had no further treatment or surgeries. I have a yearly BC surgeon checkup after my mammogram & have had no complications. I have been blessed with such good results & after next year, I will be "released" from my surgeon.
    I have attended a BCNA conference & also watched numerous webcasts conducted by BCNA. The professionals who speak are, of course, highly trained in their fields. I have learnt that many medical professionals are now leaning more towards LESS treatment/surgeries rather than make patients endure the 'full range" after surgery, including the possibility of more surgery, rad, chemo, medication etc. From what I have learnt, it appears that in some cases, they feel that there maybe more harm than good in putting patients through more treatment. This of course, is dependent on each patient as everyone has a different cancer diagnosis & outcomes. I pray that you, like me, are one of the lucky ones & may not need any further treatment. love &  strength xx