Mirena removal

Elli
Elli Member Posts: 2
Hi Everyone,
Im newly diagnosed and I have had my tests and scans this week and tomorrow I receive my results and staging. 

I’ve been asked by my oncologist to have my mirena removed before I start chemotherapy which is next Friday. 

I just want to know if anyone else had this done prior to treatment and how did you feel? Does it cause bad side affects ect? 

I’m a bit anxious about it as I am already feeling pretty down about the whole situation and really don’t want to feel worse after removing the mirena. 

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated xx

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Elli,

I am sorry you find yourself here. It is all such a shock at the start and very overwhelming. There is so much to learn about, like a whole new language. 

Many breast cancers are hormone positive which means that the cancer may be sensitive to those female hormones of oestrogen and progesterone. That means that the cancer grows with those hormones.

When this is the case many women are put on hormone suppression treatment as part of their breast cancer treatment. This usually happens after surgery, chemo and radium if any of these are part of the treatment.

I think Mirena's are based on progesterone which probably why your oncologist wants you to remove it before chemo or other treatment.  Your oncologist would want your treatment to be effective and not less effective because of the mirena. 

If you are unsure of the reasons you should talk to your oncologist again so you can get clarification. If you see the oncologist tomorrow for your results it is good to take someone with you. Also write down all the questions you have and get the answers so you are confident going forward with your treatment.

I can't tell you the impact of removal of your mirena but try not to get too far ahead of yourself. This breast cancer journey is alot to deal with and it's one step at a time. Deep breaths help too.

Try to keep busy till you start treatment, drink plenty of water, try a little exercise if you can too. It all helps. Everyone here is very helpful and you can ask anything. Someone always seems to answer. 

Let us know how you get on with your results if you want too. I hope your appointment tomorrow goes well.  Best wishes 💐
  • Elli
    Elli Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so so much! 

Yes it’s been very overwhelming. I’ve been told my breast cancer is a HER2 positive. They also found another tumour in the same breast. 

Praying my pet scan doesn’t show any other spots anywhere. I’m feeling very very scared. 

I have 2 young children and so many things are going through my mind. 

I appreciate your help and message and hope you’re doing ok too! 

Xxx 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi again @Elli,

It is understandable being scared. Breast cancer is overwhelming and it is stressful when you don't have the whole plan yet on what treatment you need. They need all the information to treatment this disease  hence the tests and scans. . There is much that can be done and your doctor will work out the while treatment plan with you. You can do this, one step at a time. 

How old are your children? It is lovely to have children. Do you have support? I hope someone can go to appointments with you. It really does help because there is so much to process and remember. Take a notebook to your appointments as it helps.

Can you add your city or where you live to your profile as there maybe others on here who can help or advise on support in your area. 

Have you been given a breast care nurse? They can be a great support through this experience. 

I can understand your mind racing. You must keep busy to take your mind off it as best you can. You know it's a good idea to talk to a psychologist who understands the whole breast cancer thing. Maybe ask your doctor for recommendation in case you need this. I saw someone and it helped and gave me strategies to get process it all. 

Thank you for asking about me. I am going well. I am one year post treatment. I had surgery, chemo and radium and now hormone suppression treatment which is tablets daily for 5 years, i think. I got through it. You can get through it too. The very fact you are on this site is proof you can do it.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow. Best wishes 🌻