Welcome New Members

Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
edited November 2021 in General discussion

A very warm welcome to our newest members this past week:

@Mich_AH @ajs @Teej @Redlady @Fizzgigg @Chrissy1121 @ElsieKing53___ @Bernie1920 @Tigee @Nixter0206 @rosad

You have found your way to Breast Cancer Network Australia’s (BCNA’s) Online Network. This is a forum where you are not alone and can engage with generous members who provide meaningful support to each other. You can share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with to other members. Please explore our various Groups for members who are looking for greater peer-to-peer support.   

The following links may also be helpful in getting you started:  

Our long-time members (newbies too!) are a wealth of information regarding the useful discussion topics and information available through BCNA’s Online Network, therefore please do not hesitate to post your questions.  You have the option to add details about yourself to your ‘profile’ and if you would like more targeted member responses, you may like to add where you live ( eg. Sydney, Melbourne, regional Victoria etc).  

If you need help navigating the Online Network please message myself @Mez_BCNA or one of our other moderators. Alternatively, phone BCNA's Helpline 1800 500 258 Monday to Friday 9 am - 5 pm AEST.

Comments

• lisa_68
    lisa_68 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there, I’m new to the group and wondering if anyone else was given the ‘option’ to have chemo, before their radiation treatment . If so, what did you decide & why ?? I was recently diagnosed & had a lumpectomy within a matter of days.  A week on after surgery I’m still overwhelmed by everything & no nearer to knowing what path to take!?!?. 
    I feel that it would have been easier if I had been told what treatment was needed,rather than been given a choice ! 
    Thanks everyone x💗
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Hi @lisa_68

Sorry you find yourself here in this group. Not a group any of us wanted to be in. It is so very overwhelming at the start of a breast care diagnosis. There is so much to treatment of breast cancer and everyone is different and every breast cancer is different. There is so much information too, lots of new terms to learn so no wonder it's hard to work out what to do.

My breast cancer was Her2 negative, hormone positive, grade 3 cells and stage one. There are a couple of other markers in my pathology.  I had a lumpectomy  followed by chemo  for 12 rounds and then radium x 20 sessions. Now I take tamoxifen for 5 years. My pathology dictated my treatment plan and the whole treatment plan was recommended by my oncologist. There wasn't really anything unusual about my treatment. I think it was pretty standard for my pathology.

Where are you being treated? It might help to update your profile with more information about your particular cancer and where you are located so we can provide better advice and there might be members near you. 

Can you talk to your oncologist or breast care nurse about the treatment. They can explain to you about all the options, risks and benefits regarding treatment. Ask questions and understand why certain treatments are required. You want to be in a position where you know you are satisfied with undertaking the treatments. For me I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to treat my breast cancer as well as minimise the risk of return. 

I would also suggest having a support person with you for these discussions with your medical team. The reason being is that it is hard to remember everything and it can also be good support for you. 

Wishing you all the best as you go forward. I highly recommend this group. I could not have got through my treatment without people here. 

@Mez_BCNA it might be better to move this to a new post for that @lisa_68 can have members respond to her concerns. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Hi @lisa_68 - sorry to see you here - definitely not the club you thought you'd be joining, I bet!  I hope you are recovering well from your surgery.  Have you seen your surgeon again yet, for the pathology results?  That is when your 'game plan' will be revealed to you. 

Your surgeon will discuss your results with the Medical Oncologist and Radiation Oncologist and then discuss their recommendations with you.  Sometimes this can take up to 2 weeks ... and the waiting just SUCKS!  :(   They should 'guide' you towards making the best decision for your personal safety - they may give 'percentages' regarding your treatment.  I asked my team - OK - if I was your mother/sister/wife - WHAT WOULD YOU WANT ME TO GO WITH?

My own tumours were small, found early & reasonably low grade - so chemo wasn't necessary for me.  I had the lumpectomy, radiation and now on hormone suppressing tables for at least 5 years.

It is all a bit of a roller coaster - almost a treadmill, to start off with.  Once you active treatment has finished, hopefully you'll be able to settle down & get back to 'as normal a life' as you can .... I just suggest that you try & keep as busy as you can, doing things you love doing - to stop your mind going off on wild tangents!!  I found it mucked with my BRAIN as much as it did my body - perhaps even more, the brain!

Have you been assigned a Breast Care Nurse yet?  You should be able to put any questions you have, to her.  Or ring the Helpline (top of the page) and speak with our team.  They may be able to point you in the right direction, too xx

Take care, try not to overthink it at this point .... take lots of deep breaths, and all the best xx
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi @lisa_68, I can see you have had some wonderful support already and I have also created your own discussion to enable other members to view your questions https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/24033/anyone-else-given-option-of-treatment/p1?new=1
  • lisa_68
    lisa_68 Member Posts: 3

Cath62 said:

Hi @lisa_68

Sorry you find yourself here in this group. Not a group any of us wanted to be in. It is so very overwhelming at the start of a breast care diagnosis. There is so much to treatment of breast cancer and everyone is different and every breast cancer is different. There is so much information too, lots of new terms to learn so no wonder it's hard to work out what to do.

My breast cancer was Her2 negative, hormone positive, grade 3 cells and stage one. There are a couple of other markers in my pathology.  I had a lumpectomy  followed by chemo  for 12 rounds and then radium x 20 sessions. Now I take tamoxifen for 5 years. My pathology dictated my treatment plan and the whole treatment plan was recommended by my oncologist. There wasn't really anything unusual about my treatment. I think it was pretty standard for my pathology.

Where are you being treated? It might help to update your profile with more information about your particular cancer and where you are located so we can provide better advice and there might be members near you. 

Can you talk to your oncologist or breast care nurse about the treatment. They can explain to you about all the options, risks and benefits regarding treatment. Ask questions and understand why certain treatments are required. You want to be in a position where you know you are satisfied with undertaking the treatments. For me I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to treat my breast cancer as well as minimise the risk of return. 

I would also suggest having a support person with you for these discussions with your medical team. The reason being is that it is hard to remember everything and it can also be good support for you. 

Wishing you all the best as you go forward. I highly recommend this group. I could not have got through my treatment without people here. 

@Mez_BCNA it might be better to move this to a new post for that @lisa_68 can have members respond to her concerns.