Help 😒

Diagnosed with breast cancer last week and will be seeing my surgeon for first time tomorrow.  I know that a lumpectomy is to be performed + radiation for between 3-5 weeks. I'm overwhelmed with information yet still feel like I know nothing.  😕  I know that many questions will be answered tomorrow,  but I'm still terrified 

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Hi @JanJune1964

I am sorry you find yourself here.  It is so overwhelming getting a breast cancer diagnosis. There is much unknown at the start of all this but once you have a firm treatment plan it will become easier to deal with at least from a planning perspective.  

You are going to be ok. You are stronger than you think, afterall you have reached out here and that is great. Everyone on here is so helpful and we are all at various stages of our breast cancer treatment.

When you see your surgeon will you have someone with you? Good to have a support person there because when we are overwhelmed sometimes we miss hearing things.

I would also suggest writing down all the questions you have been thinking about too so you get them answered. Try not to google as tempting as it is. There is really great information here in the bnca and there are people who you can call too.

Do you know the type of breast cancer, grade, stage and whether it is hormone positive etc. Lots of terms but these things help your treatment team work out what's the best course of action for you.

I would also suggest you keep busy while all you wait for your surgery as it helps calm the mind. Try to get a few walks in and breathe deeply. Whatever you enjoy do those things.

Do you have a partner or someone to help you after surgery? Good to take any offers of help for post surgery eg housework or meals.

Where do you live? Maybe update your profile with more information so others on here near you can advise of any group or other local support. You might talk to your dr about seeing a psychologist too or someone who does counselling with those like us.

Wishing you the very best today. Big breaths. You got this! 💐
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    https://www.bcna.org.au/resource/fact-sheet-breast-cancer-pathology/

"Types of breast cancer" https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/what-is-breast-cancer/types-of-breast-cancer/

The above links will help you to understand and or formulate questions 

Do you know the type of Breast Cancer you've been diagnosed with?

Take care
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited November 2021
    Hi @JanJune1964 - I am so sorry to see you here, in the club that no-one ever thought they'd join - but you are in the right spot for support and information from those who've been thru it.

All the emotions you are going thru are OK - shock, denial, sadness ... but if you get REALLY sad or depressed, make sure you talk to your GP or the Cancer Centre and talk to someone about your feelings - or ring the Helpline (top of the page) and talk to our Help Team xx

Where are you? Whack your town/city in your profile & then members near by can help you with services that are specific to your area xx. If you are rural - you can also claim petrol and accomodation costs.

Write your questions down before you go - I give the surgeon a copy as well as keep my own (to make notes.)  .... Once you see your surgeon & know your surgery date - you'll feel a bit better - and you'll be amazed at the load off your shoulder, once you've had your surgery.  

See if you can take a friend with you tomorrow (and to other appts) for moral support and as an extra set of ears.  It is easy to miss bits as you are pondering what they've just said - whilst they continue on!  I would also suggest recording the meeting on your phone, too - ask the surgeon if that is OK - most of them say 'yes'.  Then you can go over it again later, if you need to,

It was this time 4 years ago that my lump was found .... I can still remember the disbelief and anxiety as I was the first in the family to have any sort of cancer, let alone breast cancer!  And yes - the overload of information is just crushing.  I hope you've been assigned a Breast Care Nurse (often your surgeon will have his own BC nurse) who you can put ANY question past ..... 

Jump onto this thread & read up a bit about the forum & how it works - and lots of tips to help guide you xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

It mucks with your brain as much as your body - so Try & keep busy ... keep doing things you love, in between seeing the surgeon & your surgery - I just went fishing every day!  it is my 'safe place'. ;)

take care & all the best xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Everyone’s initial feelings are of the frozen disbelief variety! And almost everyone says they feel much more in control once they have a plan of action and treatment. The unknowing is hard. 

Have a list of questions. If you can, take someone with you tomorrow, who will be able to take things in better than you can right now. 

Your prognosis may be very comforting, but this sort of thing can shake up your world, your belief system and certainly some of your immediate plans. A good counsellor can be very helpful along the way. It doesn’t mean you’re not coping or depressed, just that a helpful, experienced brain (not a concerned loved one or friend, an impartial observer) can be immensely helpful in dealing with some of the uncertainty that can come up at such a time. Best wishes. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Welcome to the club none of us thought we'd join @JanJune1964.  I can add nothing to the helpful advice above but wanted to say someone is always here for support.  No question is too big or too small and don't leave any appointment until you have the answer which you understand.
    Where are you located ?  (i.e. suburb or State).
  • June1952
    Hello again @JanJune1964 .  Good to hear that you will have someone with you - and get her to takes notes as well.
    If you go into your profile you can add your location there so anyone who is nearby can be in contact.  I am Melbourne born and bred and do miss the place now I am in the country !!!  All the best for tomorrow.  💖
  • JanJune1964
    JanJune1964 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you June,  I really appreciate your kind words xx
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    All the best and I hope you have had your questions answered  3
  • June1952
    Hello @JanJune1964 - Just touching base to find out how you got on with your appointment.  Hope you are coping OK.  💖