Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Routine blood tests when on perjeta and herceptin targeted therapy

noosa_blue150
noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
edited November 2021 in Metastatic breast cancer
can anyone on this regime tell me whether they’re getting routine blood tests done prior to each treatment ? Perjeta is suppose to affect white cells  and can cause neutropenia according to EViQ protocols 

Ill be seeing oncologist in a few weeks and will of course discuss with her again but was surprised today at onc ward when NUM told me that they don’t normally run routine blood tests on that drug protocol . She didn’t appear to agree with blood being taken . 

I told her I’d asked oncologist why we didn’t based on what I’d read and dr had agreed to do them every 6 weeks .

Comments

• noosa_blue150
    Should add - She gave me the impression it wasn’t required . Wasn’t happy about it ( her problem perhaps if dr has ordered it after discussing with me , admittedly as I did ask ) . 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Hmmm ...@noosa_blue150 ..... hubby has bloods before each chemo .....

If it keeps you happy and more settled, she should order them anyway (in my opinion.)  It is no skin off their noses ......

Just recently, our Onc didn't think a test was warranted, so I got our GP to order it instead.  She wasn't offended!   

Do what YOU thinks works for you xx
  • Lisa1407
    Lisa1407 Member Posts: 258
    Hi @noosa_blue150, I am a patient at Peter Mac in Melbourne and no matter what treatment I am on, I have to have bloods done monthly. The pharmacy will not fill prescriptions without you having had bloods done no more than a couple of days before. Appreciate that there may be a difference between private and public though.
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    edited November 2021
    Hi @noosa_blue150, I’ve been on Herceptin and Perjeta for  6 years and have bloods done every 3 weeks when I have my treatment.  These drugs do affect your bloods. Star xx
  • noosa_blue150
    Thanks everyone - had treatment today and path results back ( all looked ok although liver results still a bit high thanks to previous TDM-1 regime -it’ll take a while for that to revert to normal I guess). I’ll see what the doctor says next time I see her ( and if the NUM has brought up “protocol” with her ). Im still going to argue for regular monitoring 
    I’ve noticed they are no longer allowing me to come in a few hours prior to treatment for bloods , ( i then went off for coffee for a few hours ) I now have to come in a day or two before but that may just be so they can count a extra occasion of service . 
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Hi @noosa_blue150 .I’m on herceptin and perjeta and I get bloods done every second infusion to keep an eye on things. I go to mater public in Brisbane and I know that earlier in the year they had talked about maybe getting us to come in the day before for bloods because pathology were having a tough time turning around the results in time. But so far I still just go in an hour early.