Tamoxifen = immune compromised?

So with the Covid booster shot announcement, I'm confused!

I'm on tamoxifen. Didn't have rads or chemo. A quick google says tamoxifen doesn't effect the immune system - but why does it make me eligible for a covid booster?

I'm mostly curious as I want to know if I should be living with an awareness of being immunosuppressed. I'm a primary school teacher - lots of opportunity to get sick - so figure this is something I should know.

I won't be seeing my onc for a few months to ask the question, so I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some more light?

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I’m not sure why either but the wording in the eligibility definition is quite clear - immunology and/or hormonal therapy.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited October 2021
    Could it be that Tamoxifen reduces the amount of estrogen made in the body, whereas AI's are an estrogen blocker.  Therefore AI's are hormone blocking therapy, but tamoxifen reduces the amount of estrogen produced in the body.

@StrongCoffee I hope you get a definitive clear answer from your oncologist as to whether tamoxifen does compromise your immune system.  All the best and take care.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I’m on an AI (femara) but still eligible, I don’t think a distinction is made, in regard to a third shot.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    No.  "Immune compromised" relates to chemo or other medical treatments .... from a healthline: Being immuno compromised can be due to many causes: chronic medical conditions, such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, HIV, and cancer, also autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. medications or treatments, such as radiation therapy.

But Hormone Therapy has been included on the list re the Booster - so Check with your Onc that they want you to have the booster - it will be probably a little while before the boosters become available.
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited October 2021
    I had my booster yesterday on the Sunshine Coast . I had to,show the Guidelines to both my GP and Oncologist , and both agreed I should have it .I’m triple positive breast cancer , post chemo/surgery/radiotherapy BUT after booking in for the booster shot last week I have  just been diagnosed with bone secondaries so starting perjeta and herceptin , and continuing hormone blocking therapy. 
    If you’re not seeing Oncologist for months May be worth checking in with your GP ( they could,contact oncologist to,ask if need be)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    Well done  on getting yours already!

I am So Sorry to hear of the bone secondaries @noosa_blue150 ... big hugs coming your way xx

All the best with your ongoing treatment xx
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Thanks Arpie -I had hoped I’d be lucky and beat this but it wasn’t to be . 
    Hoping I can do a Olivia Newton John and kick on for many more years. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @noosa_blue150
    Sorry to read of your news.  Here's hoping the treatment will send it packing
    Best wishes
    Take care
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Thinking of you @noosa_blue150.  Hope your treatment is going well. 🌈🙏
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    @noosa_blue150 sorry to hear about the bone mets - hopefully you can squash those little buggers pronto!

I only had my 2nd vax dose about a month ago. So given the recommended gap of 2-6 months to the booster, I've got some time up my sleeve to find out. Unfortunately, as lovely as my GP is, they're not the most knowledgeable so I'll really be waiting to see what my onc says.