Night Howlers - Jump on to chat if you are awake

June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
edited October 2021 in Night Howls
This used to be a common theme with ladies who have trouble sleeping.  BCNA started a new area, a place where lousy sleepers could connect.
Is this still going ?
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Here it is 

"Night Howls - Page 189 — BCNA Online Network" https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/19269/night-howls/p189
  • June1952
    Thanks @iserbrown - I eventually found that but it appears there has been no action for a year so maybe all are sleeping soundly now  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Some people come and go on this forum.  If their needs are met some just disappear then and we don't see them again.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited October 2021
    To be honest, @June1952 I would be very surprised if everyone who posted on the original 'Night Howls' are sleeping that well ...... many may have 'moved on' ... but there will still a few of us are hanging around, and still not sleeping that well!!  :( 

hehehe, 'twas me that coined the phrase ..... Night Howls - a parody of Night Owls!  ;) 

I've had some shockers recently - basically awake all night (we've had some shocking weather too!) - even taking a Temase & STILL not sleeping 'that well' tho I guess I must have nodded off now & again ..... just not 'well'!  Hubby is lucky - he is deaf, so when he DOES go to sleep, even if for a few hours, he usually sleeps 'well'!  Then he gets up and raids the kitchen (which usually wake ME up as well .....) and he can be UP for hours (of which I am VERY aware!)

Hopefully tonight .... a GOOD sleep .... perchance to dream!! (But not TOO much!) ;) 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    I was waking on average of about 15 times a night due to the AI's.  I never had an issue before that, so now I am having a break from the hormone blocking therapy and now i can sleep with only waking about 5 times a night, but get back to sleep quickly but m still exhausted from broken sleep, but just not as bad as before when on AI's.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @arpie I’m a night bird. I tend to stay up quite late, cos I can’t fall asleep early. If you’re having trouble sleeping, stop me a line. Beats the night time loneliness 🥱
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Ok it's 2.42am and here i am.  I wake alot at night. Never use to. Isn't that the story for most of us. So I have  bathroom visit, drink of water and jump online to read a bit in hope I go to sleep again. It usually works but I get a bad night every now and again. I think I have got use to it now so I am less distressed about not sleeping. I sometimes listen to a meditation or just some sort of talking as it helps me get back to sleep. 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi there
    These are things that have helped me in the sleep department:
    1.No devices ( laptop, iPad, mobile, tv etc) in the bedroom.
    2.No coffee after lunchtime.
    3.Limit alcohol.
    4.Exercise every day.
    5.Meditation/mindfulness ( I had gone this years ago when working full time and stopped when I semi retired as I was much less stressed, then took it up again after my diagnosis )
    6.Sleeping in a separate bed to my husband ( this was a big step but we both sleep a lot better now).
    7. If you are on medication  that gives you hot flushes , have “ layers” on your bed, never a doona and I also got a 3 speed ceiling fan installed.

• arpie
    It is SUCH a bugger, isn't it @FLClover, @Cath62 - and it can easily become a habit too - waking at the same time every night!  Hubby does it about 2-3am - and is up for about 2hrs!  Then nods off all during the day!

Hubby's personal alarm went off last night at about midnight ..... so I had to jump up & make sure he was OK (and contact our friend who was also rung, to tell him all was OK!). He'd just hit the SOS button by. mistake!  Then I just couldn't go to sleep again!  But I rarely get up & onto the computer ...... it would REALLY become a habit!!

This could become Night Howls 2 ...... (tho I am pretty sure there WAS a Night Howls 2 at one stage, but it petered out!). The original Night Howls was just HUGE!!   We even had shirts made up (@kmakm organised it - a howling coyote!)

I'll see if @Mez_BCNA can add ''Jump on to chat if you are awake" to the title ..... it worked really well on the original one!  It is Great support for those who are insomniacs .... 

• June1952
    I often see that ladies post at all hours of the night which made me wonder if it still existed.  Good that the group is still available to those who cannot sleep and use the site overnight.
    To find it, click of Day to Day on the right and the Night Howls shows up.
    It took me a while to find it but it may help those who are awake and lonely during the night.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Good idea @arpie

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    edited October 2021
    Done @arpie and created a new tag for 'insomnia' :) Enjoy the howling.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @arpie *drop me a line, not ‘stop’ 🤦🏼‍♀️. 
    I like your idea 🙂. It does become a habit, and is so hard to break 🙁
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I have been a night waker for decades, nothing to do with cancer. Milk and sudoku help me turn off my free range brain at night, sudoku makes me think but only about number logic! But a couple of nights with more than one wakeful spell can get me worried about not getting to sleep, with predictable consequences. I take a sleeping pill (Temaze) at those times to break any pattern. My GP is happy to prescribe given a pack of 25 tablets lasts me from 18 - 24 months. 
  • arpie
    Many thanks, @Mez_BCNA - when you've got a spare week, you should check out the original post!! It had some really funny & good stuff in it ..... it was back in my early days on the blog!

@Afraser- My GP gives me Temase too (tho one wasn't licensed to prescribe it, so I swapped - I didn't know they could 'choose' which drugs they can prescribe - tho I guess he may also have had an issue with them at one stage!) - one bottle will last me 2-3 months I reckon - and the BOTTLED ones, dissolve on your tongue (sometimes with a gentle chew - usually on it's own) so they are absorbed into your system quicker than the BOXED ones which stay whole!  ;)  The Pharmacist didn't believe me - but they probably don't need to take them, so never tried t@Afraser

@Julez1958 - I do all those except for No 5 .... and usually read something for at least 10-15mins before turning off the light .... and still lay there, wondering, sometime!  grrr

hehe @FLClover - I am pretty sure I 'read it' as 'drop'!!  ;)  I try to just roll over & pretend that I am asleep & often, it works & I drop off!

Just by anyone replying to the topic will keep it 'up the top' .... and also our friends in WA (who are a good few hours behind the east coast) may still be up to chat, as well!  ;)