Double Mastectomy advice

Suzie82
Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
Hi Ladies I will be having a double mastectomy in a week and would please like some advice on what to wear and what pther ladies found helped them from clothes to drains to aftercare, Anything is appreciated thank you

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    I had a double mastectomy in 2017 and these were things I found helpful. I was given two cloth drain bags by my breastcare nurse...basically two shopping type or library books bags. I never used them however, as I just popped my drains into my dressing gown pockets so I didn't have to carry them. Button down the front nighties or pyjamas...not silk as you'll slide down the bed. Dressing gown with two large pockets, slippers that were easy to put on without having to use a finger at the heel to get on. They must be non slip, or the nurses will not let you wear them...slip hazard. I found my kindle easier to hold in bed with one hand whilst lying down, and increasing the font size, meant I didn't have to wear my glasses. Easier to 'turn' the page too, with a finger tap. I took my knitting too. My own tea and coffee as hospital grade is yucky. I also took some cup o' soups for a change from tea. Some hard sweets, I took Werther's to keep my mouth moist. (My excuse...I have a sweet tooth). Bickford's Lime cordial as the bottled water at room temperature is very flat. Small change for the Pink Lady trolley and also the vending machine for midnight snacks. Eye drops as the aircon can dry your eyes out and also lip balm for the same reason. I wore a light pashmina type shawl as my bed was under the ceiling vent for the aircon. Long charger cords for phone and kindle. I'm sure others will add to this list. Good luck with your surgery, which for me, was remarkable little pain.
  • Suzie82

AllyJay said:

I had a double mastectomy in 2017 and these were things I found helpful. I was given two cloth drain bags by my breastcare nurse...basically two shopping type or library books bags. I never used them however, as I just popped my drains into my dressing gown pockets so I didn't have to carry them. Button down the front nighties or pyjamas...not silk as you'll slide down the bed. Dressing gown with two large pockets, slippers that were easy to put on without having to use a finger at the heel to get on. They must be non slip, or the nurses will not let you wear them...slip hazard. I found my kindle easier to hold in bed with one hand whilst lying down, and increasing the font size, meant I didn't have to wear my glasses. Easier to 'turn' the page too, with a finger tap. I took my knitting too. My own tea and coffee as hospital grade is yucky. I also took some cup o' soups for a change from tea. Some hard sweets, I took Werther's to keep my mouth moist. (My excuse...I have a sweet tooth). Bickford's Lime cordial as the bottled water at room temperature is very flat. Small change for the Pink Lady trolley and also the vending machine for midnight snacks. Eye drops as the aircon can dry your eyes out and also lip balm for the same reason. I wore a light pashmina type shawl as my bed was under the ceiling vent for the aircon. Long charger cords for phone and kindle. I'm sure others will add to this list. Good luck with your surgery, which for me, was remarkable little pain.

Hi Allyjay
    Thank you so much for the tips, I will add them to my list.I was wondering how to attach the drain bags to my clothes I was thinking safety pins but not  sure on that one
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I think bags are the best. A small tote bag, smth like that. My nurses gave me two tote bags and they were great. I looked like a homeless bag lady but it worked. 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi I am not tech savvy enough to send the link but the “Reclaim Your Curves “website has a good information sheet on what to take to hospital .

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    @arpie once posted this re a few more bits to think of taking to hospital - even for a short stay .... 

After you leave hospital - a cushion/pillow to hold onto your chest if you have to negotiate rough roads - or going over gutters (think Petrol Stations, shopping centres & your home) as these gutters REALLY jolt your boobs for about 4 weeks after surgery.  I learned where ALL the pot holes are in my home town.

For night time - Using a small pillow to elevate the 'affected arm' (if you sleep on your side) can also assist in getting to sleep, as sleeping on your tummy is usually restricted for some time post op!

Comfort in bed - if still cold
    • Fluffy blanket or wrap or large cotton scarf to keep your shoulders warm
    • Favourite pillow or triangle pillow - great to support the affected arm
    • Ear plugs to block out noise and eye mask to block out lights
    Clothing
    • Zip front jacket or track suit
    • Easy to slip on shoes or slippers
    • Light dressing gown & Button up PJ's/night dress
    • Loose comfy pants trousers - easy to put on the next day.
    Toiletries
    • Facial wipes to freshen up without a shower
    • Dry shampoo is great until you can have a shower and wash your hair
    • Lip balm for dry lips in air conditioning
    • Nice body wash or soap and moisturizer
    • Small manicure kit and small mirror
    Food and drinks
    • Medications you are currently taking in their original packaging
    • Drink bottle with a sipper top (easier than cup and straw)
    • Snacks for in between meals
    • Your preferred tea bags/coffe etc
    Entertainment
    • Note pad or diary and pen to record your experiences
    • A kindle or magazines/puzzles - it is too busy to concentrate on a book!
    • IPad/iPod with music, movies and games (don't forget earphones and chargers)
    • Mobile Phone (with charger and extension cord so it can reach the wall)
    • Meditation app on phone
  • Suzie82

June1952 said:

@arpie once posted this re a few more bits to think of taking to hospital - even for a short stay .... 

After you leave hospital - a cushion/pillow to hold onto your chest if you have to negotiate rough roads - or going over gutters (think Petrol Stations, shopping centres & your home) as these gutters REALLY jolt your boobs for about 4 weeks after surgery.  I learned where ALL the pot holes are in my home town.

For night time - Using a small pillow to elevate the 'affected arm' (if you sleep on your side) can also assist in getting to sleep, as sleeping on your tummy is usually restricted for some time post op!

Comfort in bed - if still cold
    • Fluffy blanket or wrap or large cotton scarf to keep your shoulders warm
    • Favourite pillow or triangle pillow - great to support the affected arm
    • Ear plugs to block out noise and eye mask to block out lights
    Clothing
    • Zip front jacket or track suit
    • Easy to slip on shoes or slippers
    • Light dressing gown & Button up PJ's/night dress
    • Loose comfy pants trousers - easy to put on the next day.
    Toiletries
    • Facial wipes to freshen up without a shower
    • Dry shampoo is great until you can have a shower and wash your hair
    • Lip balm for dry lips in air conditioning
    • Nice body wash or soap and moisturizer
    • Small manicure kit and small mirror
    Food and drinks
    • Medications you are currently taking in their original packaging
    • Drink bottle with a sipper top (easier than cup and straw)
    • Snacks for in between meals
    • Your preferred tea bags/coffe etc
    Entertainment
    • Note pad or diary and pen to record your experiences
    • A kindle or magazines/puzzles - it is too busy to concentrate on a book!
    • IPad/iPod with music, movies and games (don't forget earphones and chargers)
    • Mobile Phone (with charger and extension cord so it can reach the wall)
    • Meditation app on phone

Hi June1952
    Thank you so very much for the detailed reply it is amazing and I have written this all down. Very kind of you
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    All the best for your procedure, @Suzie82 ... I found the ear plugs (the yellow 'work ones') and eye mask as invaluable as hospitals have lights on 24/7 and are noisy places!  xx. I find THESE ones are the best .... you squish them to the thickness of a pencil & shove them into your ear .. and they expand to take your internal ear shape.  (DON'T get those ones with the bits sticking out of them ...... they are impossible to sleep with!)

We'll all be thinking of you xx. I hope you have plenty support when you get home - for the things we take for granted. ..... no heavy lifting for a while (including doing the washing & hanging it out  ....)  Maybe freeze a few meals  over the weekend, so you've got some 'ready to go' when you get home?

Take care & all the best xx
  • Suzie82

arpie said:

All the best for your procedure, @Suzie82 ... I found the ear plugs (the yellow 'work ones') and eye mask as invaluable as hospitals have lights on 24/7 and are noisy places!  xx. I find THESE ones are the best .... you squish them to the thickness of a pencil & shove them into your ear .. and they expand to take your internal ear shape.  (DON'T get those ones with the bits sticking out of them ...... they are impossible to sleep with!)

We'll all be thinking of you xx. I hope you have plenty support when you get home - for the things we take for granted. ..... no heavy lifting for a while (including doing the washing & hanging it out  ....)  Maybe freeze a few meals  over the weekend, so you've got some 'ready to go' when you get home?

Take care & all the best xx

Hi Arpie
    Thank you for our kind words and your great tips. I definately will get the ear plugs and yes I will take care and listen to what they tell me to do