Any issues with vaccine while on chemo?

Catalina9
Catalina9 Member Posts: 9
Hi there was just wondering if anyone had issues taking the covid vaccine while on chemo, tdm1/kadcyla or Herceptin? I have been advised to take it a few days before treatment but was wondering if anyone else had any tips to share, thank you :-) 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Catalina9 - welcome to the blog - and to the club that NO-ONE wants to join!  xx

Have a read of this thread ... a few tips & laughs to be had here ... maybe tell us a bit more about your story too xx. If you add your 'town/city' on your profile, members may know of specific Help Groups or info relative to your area.
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

My husband is on chemo every 3 weeks for stage 4 gastric cancer - and initially our Onc (she is my Onc too!) was reluctant for him to have the jab ..... but 4 weeks ago said GO FOR IT!  She suggested getting it straight AFTER the treatment tho, before it hit the immunity more ..... When was your last treatment?

Check out this post too ....  from earlier in the year - the cancer council link would be the 'latest' info (not from March)
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23241/cancer-australia-faqs-covid-19-vaccine#latest

So maybe just clarify with your Onc asap as to when they want you to have it?  (As I believe the virus is still 'working' on you for about a week after you've had the jab.)  When I had my flu jab earlier in June as a volunteer at nursing homes, I was told to have no other jabs for a minimum of 2 weeks (and I left it 4 'to be sure to be sure') and only then had the AZ jab.

Take care & all the best for your ongoing treatment xx
  • Catalina9
    Thank you @arpie for all this info :-) wishing you and your husband all the best for your journey. Started kadcyla/Herceptin last week and onc said I can have the vaccine at any time. I have heard some people say have it a week after last treatment or a few days before, so it’s quite confusing. 
  • arpie
    edited August 2021
    My pleasure xx. @Catalina9 - Maybe just ring your Cancer Centre or Onc's office and check with them - I just glanced at the Cancer Council link & I couldn't see where they said 'when to have it' if on chemo (which is SILLY!)

Did you have any/many lymph nodes removed?  If you have lymphodema it is suggested to have any shots in the OTHER arm - and they may get you to wait 30 mins after the jab rather than 15 (they did with hubby, but he is also an asymptomatic anaphylactic! They don't know what he is allergic to!)

xx

• Catalina9
    Thank you, will do. Had 2 lymphs removed so will definitely use the opposite arm. Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated xx 
  • arpie
    All going well, you won't have problems with lymphedema as it is often if MORE nodes are taken (5 or more) that problems can occur with lymphedema (swelling/retention of fluids.)  I had 2 nodes out & didn't have any problems .... hopefully you won't either.
  • Catalina9
    Good to know. I am finding the resources available for breast cancer amazing. All these forums and other support have been invaluable while going through such a tough time. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Welcome to the club no-one wants to join.  Lots of good advice here. Wishing you all the best with your treatment. 

• Catalina9
    Thank you @Locksley wishing you all the best too. Nice to have such a warm welcome from everyone xx 
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    I’m on kadcycla /T-DMI every three weeks too. I had no issues with getting covid vaccine or timing of it . Oncologist recommended it . If I could chose a appointment easily I’d perhaps have it week after chemo ( I sometimes get a bit constipated , so like to,have that week clear of any other treatments ‘ impost on my time .it’s not that jab contributes to that ) I had no reaction to either jabs 
  • Catalina9
    Thank you @noosa_blue150, much appreciated. So glad to hear you didn’t have any issues. How are you finding Kadcyla? 
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited August 2021
    Pretty good to be honest . Easier than last 2 chemos (AC and Taxcel with herceptin ). Heart side effects manageable with cardiac drugs and I have regular echocardiograms showing that I’m holding at 58% ; fingernails very fragile,-split a lot; hairs fine and growing back well; I had concerns from day 1 about whether my peripheral neuropathy from taxcel would flare up but recently oncologist took me off hormone tabs temporarily and I’m happy to report that the tingling hands have now ceased so that looks as though it was due to femera NOT kadcycla which is great . Next time I see oncologist no,doubt we will sort out what hormone tablets I should go back on . I do get constipation  but coloxyl and movicol are working on that first week post chemo.im counting down now to,end of chemo, then it’s,just hormone tabs and yearly checkups

• Maxymoo
    Maxymoo Member Posts: 9
    I’m on TC chemo with three weeks in between. I got the Pfizer shot and they recommended it halfway through the week at the end of cycle when your feeling most recovered and before next dose following week. Apparently this helps with giving you best immunity as well. I had no side effects from 1st or 2nd dose just bit of sore arm.
    Good luck and keep well. Cancer is lousy at the best of times let alone in middle of pandemic in Sydney& Melbourne. Just makes me so more anxious 😬 
  • Catalina9
    Thank you @Maxymoo, hope things begin to settle soon, especially now that the vaccination rates are increasing. 
    @noosa_blue150 glad to hear it’s been manageable and hope it’s over soon. 
  • Catalina9
    Wishing all you ladies all the very best now and always xx