Triple Negative Surgery Options

Teenytiny
Teenytiny Member Posts: 3
I was diagnosed with triple negative BC in November 2020. I’m almost at the end of my chemo (DDAC followed by Taxol). I was diagnosed stage 1B, grade 2 left side only. Gene testing came
back with nothing. I’ve been told I can have lumpectomy only plus radiation and it will be just as effective as Mastectomy. Struggling to decide what to do. Would love to hear others stories with tnbc and if you’ve had reoccurrence. Thank you 

Comments

• Mantis
    Mantis Member Posts: 61
    I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Grade 3 TNBC in August 2018. I had a lumpectomy first, then the same chemo as you and then radiation. My surgeon also advised there is no benefit in having a mastectomy over lumpectomy + radiation. I’ve since seen a few studies in my Dr Google research which support this and I’m happy with my decision. So far so good!
  • JudeDude
    JudeDude Member Posts: 4
    Hi there, I also have Stage 2 Grade 3 TNBC. Have just finished chemo (4 x dose dense AC, 4 x dose dense Pac) tumour has responded well; now I'm moving on to surgery. No faulty genes. Both my surgeon and oncologist are supportive of a lumpectomy, then radiation. I'm just worried about recurrence and whether I should get a preventative double mastectomy. @Teenytiny - what did you decide to do? @Mantis - are you still going OK? 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Welcome to the group you never thought you'd join, @Teenytiny and @JudeDude. We've all been there, so we 'get it'. xx

I hope you both have lots of support on the family & friend 'front' .... all the best for your treatment & surgery.

Check out this post about different bits available to you on the forum - whack up some pics of your furkids, garden or your art & crafts ..... we even manage to have some fun, too ;) 

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care xx

• Mantis
    Mantis Member Posts: 61
    @JudeDude yes, all good here. I had my three year mammogram and ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and see my surgeon on Monday for results and regular check. I would have been called in earlier if there were any issues so all good 😊
  • Teenytiny
    @JudeDude thanks for your response. I ended up getting a lumpectomy followed by 15 radiation treatments. My treatment is finished for now until I have my annual check in November. I’m happy with the decision. One thing I didn’t know was that you can still get reoccurrence even if you have a mastectomy. As they can’t clear everything it can reappear in the chest wall. I have joined a group on Facebook for Triple Negative BC and whilst most are in the US, I found comfort in being in a forum of people with our type of cancer and learning more in a safe environment (cause google just scares you!). From what my surgeon said the options are very similar in terms of long term outcomes and with Triple Negative, if it wants to come back it will find a way unfortunately. 
  • JudeDude
    JudeDude Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much for your responses. I know - nothing can really 'future proof' you, can it? My surgery is in less than a fortnight. Fingers crossed for clear margins and no active cancer cells! 
  • Teenytiny
    @JudeDude I got complete pathological response from chemo and surgery. Clear margins. Found some pre cancer cells but radiation should look after those. Radiation is also a bit of a challenge. If you end up down that path be sure to moisturise regularly! I used Cetaphil and came out of it with no burns. Wishing you all the best. You have made it through the toughest part! 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Here is a link to Facebook group for TNBC https://www.facebook.com/groups/1166665270079659
  • Deb2904
    Deb2904 Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi my name is Deb, I have recently been diagnosed with TNBC and have to start chemo asap, not sure if im still in shock or not but still feels unreal, except for the pain and breast changes which i'm noticing daily. I am seeing the oncologist tomorrow so hoping to have a clearer path forward
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Good luck with the appointment @Deb2904. I’d say you are still in shock and might be for a while yet. Check in anytime you want to vent or need support. It will be a ride but you can do it ♥️
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    All the best for your appts with your Onc, @Deb2904 - Welcome to the club that no-one really wants to join xx

Check out this post for some other areas on the blog that you may like to check out ..... show us your garden & fur kids & even art & craft if you are into that ..... we even have a couple of 'funny threads' as we all need a laugh now & then xx

Take care  - I'll tag @Mez_BCNA - to maybe give you your own 'thread', so that you can post your updates there xx

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hi @Deb2904 I have copied your post to your own thread in the forum, where you can continue the conversation and post your updates https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23962/newly-diagnosed-triple-negative-breast-cancer/p1?new=1