sleep wear / Pyjamas for hospital

Sue_w
Sue_w Member Posts: 123
edited August 2021 in Newly diagnosed
Ok what is one of the first things that a woman who goes into hospital does? Go and buy new sleep wear! Now I have to ask if 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer at some time in their life, why is it so hard to get appropriate PJs? Grrrrrr!
So knowing how difficult it can be, I decided to share those that I have found. 
These are:
* So soft and stretchy (doesn't snag drains or wound dressings, super soft on sensitive skin when the wound is healing and nerves firing
* Baggy and easy fitting (believe me you don't want anything tight around your drain sites!)
* Buttoned all the way down the front (easy to get into and to open up for wound checks)
* Light weight (so you don't get over heated)
* Easy pull on pants (lets face it, if you're going to have to put pants on with one hand, this is important)

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Absolutely - I don't wear PJs (just a TShirt), so actually had to go & buy some & what I got looks a bit like those ones ..... 

Yep - they've gotta be practical and definitely button up at the front!

Personally, I prefer the 'non slippery ones' (ie fake satin) so I went for very light weight cotton ones (middle of Summer at the time) and now take them with me when we visit rellies & friends .... if that will ever happen again!  :( 
  • Sue_w
    @arpie Haha, yeah most of us just wear T-shirts or less, that's why we race out to by PJ's when we get our diagnosis!
    It could be a good fundraising item for any one of the breast cancer charities.
    They could sell various suitable types of sleep wear with the charity logo on the tags and / or in the design. Make them available in most major stores (Kmart/BigW/Best&Less/Katies/Rockmans/Millers/Target etc) for a reasonable price. 
    Two birds with one stone, so to speak. Women with breast cancer and general public get some lovely PJ's to wear and the charity gets vitally needed funds!  WIN - WIN! 

• arpie
    edited August 2021
    hehe, I used to not wear anything and still run around the house in the nuddie - but not in bed! ... These days, nudging 70, I find it more comfortable!  ;) 

You should be in charge of Promotions!!   ;)  
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi this is timely for me as I am in Hospital recovering from DIEP flap surgery ( will post in the reconstruction group in due course).
    it seemed to me that BCNA is missing a fundraising opportunity together with providing a service to its members by not having anything  for sale in the shop section for some one going to have a mastectomy.
    I am thinking drain bags, suitable pyjamas a little pillow and I’m sure others could think of things.
  • arpie
    Hope you are going OK in your recovery, @Julez1958 - been thinking about you heaps xx

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    edited August 2021
    @Julez1958 - Zonta and some other places make the drain bags and curved pillows for the BC nurses to give out.  I thought that was Ausralia-wide but maybe only in Vic ?
    PJs could be a good idea but they would not manage that themselves, they would need to get a manufacturer involved and would require a lot of work to keep up with sizes, fabrics and styles to suit all tastes, as well as varying financial capabilities.  BCNA Pink ????  Nah, not for me !!!  😂😂😂😂
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi Arpie
    i am recovering well, the DIEP flap surgery is not for  the faint hearted that’s for sure.
    I was worried maybe I was too old for it at 63 but my plastic surgeon said he’d done lots of ladies in their 70s and even a very fit 82 year old ( yes OMG).
    Hi June. I guess the pyjamas may be a bridge too far but certainly the drain bags would be good.
    I didnt even know what a drain was until I saw it in me in hospital and even though the private hospital I had my mastectomy in had a breast care nurse who I never saw until after my surgery never mentioned them or the bags and I had to use a pillow case☹️
    So this time I got them on Amazon.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hi @Julez1958 - that is such a shame.  Surely these hospitals (or even the surgeon's office) could alert patients to these small items which make such a big difference ?  I did not have a BC nurse but the hospital nurses had the supplies from Zonta so I was fortunate.  With a 75km ride home the pillow was a godsend.
    My friend, who is about your age, had a double DIEP earlier this year and recovered well.
    Take it easy, accept any help offered and use the appliances they will send home with you.  Don't be a martyr !
    All the best for a quick and comfortable recovery.  💖
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Julez1958

The Drain bag along with the pillow was a handout from my Breast care nurse once I was booked into hospital and before surgery - I assumed that they are available Australia wide however don't know for sure!

Here's a link for Brisbane for anyone that maybe looking for them

Drain Bag & Pillow – Be Uplifted Inc Brisbane Breast Cancer Charity

and another one in NSW

Comfort Cushions - Hunter Breast Cancer Foundation (hbcf.org.au)

Best wishes with your recovery

BTW for anyone that is inclined to sew their own or for others

Breast Care Cushions – Zonta Club of Melbourne on Yarra (zontamelbourneonyarra.org.au)
  • Sue_w
    arpie I don't wear much at home either, that's why I desperately need PJ's for hospital LOL

Julez1958 Hope you are recovering well  :) One of the nurses at the public hospital in Bowral passed on the drain bag and little pillow from the Zonta Club to me. I'm so glad she did it was invaluable when I had to lug those two drains everywhere with me. I echo what @June1952 says, accept all help offered 

June1952 You are right, BCNA would have to work with manufacturers that were already making suitable pj's and bring out a line with the BCNA logo and work with retailers to sell them in stores and on their website too. Pink is not my colour either LOL

iserbrown I hope more people get this info too, it's the little things that help to get you through. 
  • Sue_w
    arpie I don't wear much at home either, that's why I desperately need PJ's for hospital LOL

Julez1958 Hope you are recovering well  :) One of the nurses at the public hospital in Bowral passed on the drain bag and little pillow from the Zonta Club to me. I'm so glad she did it was invaluable when I had to lug those two drains everywhere with me. I echo what @June1952 says, accept all help offered. 

June1952 You are right, BCNA would have to work with manufacturers that were already making suitable pj's and bring out a line with the BCNA logo and work with retailers to sell them in stores and on their website too. Pink is not my colour either LOL

iserbrown I hope more people get this info too, it's the little things that help to get you through.