A Cup-One no longer two.

2»

Comments

• annie2
    annie2 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015

Thankyou.Im not strong you just have to do what you have to do.Whats the alternative? I have a new man in my life and we got married last october halfway through treatment.He has been great though he works away which can sometimes pose a challenge.

Sorry you dont have the support but you will be amaxed at who will be by your side.I was amazed by the caring people trying to help it truley is a blessing.

I was glad i didnt opt for reconstruction either i couldnt handle multiple surgeries and more scars.It takes ages to get used to looking in the mirror.I still get shocked sometimes and it was so long ago.I think the worst was when i lost my hair.I used to have long hair.When i had to shave it i realised this was real and i couldnt hide the cancer anymore.

If you get a chance do the look good feel good program.It was a real help and a lot of fun .Hope your journey goes well for you xx

• annie2
    edited March 2015

Thankyou.Im not strong you just have to do what you have to do.Whats the alternative? I have a new man in my life and we got married last october halfway through treatment.He has been great though he works away which can sometimes pose a challenge.

Sorry you dont have the support but you will be amaxed at who will be by your side.I was amazed by the caring people trying to help it truley is a blessing.

I was glad i didnt opt for reconstruction either i couldnt handle multiple surgeries and more scars.It takes ages to get used to looking in the mirror.I still get shocked sometimes and it was so long ago.I think the worst was when i lost my hair.I used to have long hair.When i had to shave it i realised this was real and i couldnt hide the cancer anymore.

If you get a chance do the look good feel good program.It was a real help and a lot of fun .Hope your journey goes well for you xx

• Delta D
    Delta D Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    I have hestitated in responding as my prognosis is great and feel concerned for the feelings of those whose path is more challenging.

However my decision to have surgery for a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy has in my circumstance saved me from having to go though radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Obviously I will have to take medication to deal with my hormones.

I have also asked the nurses and doctors to let me remove the tape and dressings. I have told them that everything felt so out of my control that I would like to just remove them myself to have some sense of independence and they were very willing to wait for me. Which was less painful for me also.

Although sore from not resting enough, I believe my overall health and recovery will be faster and better as a result of a mastectomy without reconstruction and would like for more women to know how valid it is from the perspective of physical health and future welbeing in the battle against breast cancer.

Annie so hope you are doing ok.
  • annie2
    edited March 2015

That is great news i am so happy for you.What a relief and you dont lose your hair!!!Yay!

Again i am so happy for you i can stop worrying now.Dont ever feel what you are going through is any less than another,we all have differant diagnosis challenges and paths to go through.

Take it easy till your body gets over the surgery its a big opp.

Congrats Annie xx

• Delta D
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for your selflessness Annie! But you can be angry too! Cancer is crap! As I had multifocal cancer-two types there is always the possiblity of having to deal with reoccurance especially as one type has around 15% chance in other side. As you have experienced there is a need to be optomistic yet realistic when it comes to cancer.

Thank you for your concern. It IS a big op-I am only beginning to realise that! And I have been overdoing it cooking washing a little so are really sore now. It's my right side and I'm right handed which is tiring.
    Hope you are resting wellx
  • Delta D
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for your selflessness Annie! But you can be angry too! Cancer is crap! As I had multifocal cancer-two types there is always the possiblity of having to deal with reoccurance especially as one type has around 15% chance in other side. As you have experienced there is a need to be optomistic yet realistic when it comes to cancer.

Thank you for your concern. It IS a big op-I am only beginning to realise that! And I have been overdoing it cooking washing a little so are really sore now. It's my right side and I'm right handed which is tiring.
    Hope you are resting wellx