Finished radiation treatment today

I finish my radiation treatment today! I am both excited and apprehensive. For the last month it has been a constant and I know this may sound weird but I felt like this was helping me feel comforted in keeping the cancer at bay. Now that I am done I don't know what to do and feel a bit anxious. That probably sounds strange but anyone else feel like that? 

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Your feelings are quite normal.
    Keep up with the creams as the radiation continues to burn for some weeks after treatment finishes.
    Congratulations on getting through this .... keep smiling.  💖
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Absolutely normal feelings and definitely keep the creams going for a few weeks as you’ll continue to feel the warmth for some time ...  and report any broken skin ...

I blubbed bigtime on my final rads day ..... they’d become part of my inner circle for 4 weeks .... and I was definitely anxious, leaving them.

I had already planned a bit of a holiday tho (a week on Norfolk Island) as a reward, so that anxiety quickly dissipated ....  so, give yourself a BIG pat on the head and (if you can in this Covid Mad world) ... a  reward for all you’ve been thru.  You deserve it xx
  • Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    Great news @Potter_21! You did it! It is very normal to be feeling the way you are - it can be a little overwhelming as you have gone from the initial diagnosis and feeling like everything is spinning out of control to completing your treatment and now moving on. You have been vulnerable, strong and resilient - be proud of yourself. Treat yourself to something that makes you happy. Xx 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Totally get where you are coming from.
    I had a whirlwind of diagnosis, scans to rule out metastasis , mastectomy ( after initially discussing a lumpectomy) followed by radiotherapy.
    I was grateful that there was no cancer in my lymph nodes so chemo not recommended , but radiotherapy nevertheless 28 days for me.
    When it was finished, it was “ what now”?
    I had been on a treadmill and now it had stopped.
    It’s completely normal to have an emotional reaction at that point.
    I dealt with it by seeing a dietitian and exercise physiologist as well as having acupuncture and cancer massage.
    I am looking forward rather than back but it’s good to know that the ladies on this forum are here for support when you need it.
    And presumably you are still under tha ongoing care of an oncologist so you are not being completely cast adrift.
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Congratulations @Potter_21!!

I finished mine a week ago. I am feeling fatigued and have a bit of pain, but they told me to expect the peak of side effects a week or two after finishing, so I’m sure they will pass soon. Nothing bad at all, but I’m glad I knew what to expect. Look after yourself!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Well done, too @Halla ... look after yourself xx

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Congratulations on getting through the daily radiation. Look after yourself.
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    edited July 2021
    Congrats. Your feelings are very consistent with others. Even if they werent they are your feelings and its ok. I find it helps to think of emotions as transient things. In the middle of them they can be intense but generally they pass over time. 

The end of active treatment was a really wierd feeling for me. I wanted to feel like celebrating but it felt a bit deflating. I finished in March this year. Ive had lots of up and downs since then, seeing a psychologist finally next week but i feel more even. What i felt largely was that i had a secret that noone outside the breast cancer experience understood and i couldnt talk about it. People are keen to move on. Bc affects those you love in a different way and they sort of feel relief that things are sort of over. Its hard to speak of your fears and hopes to those outside the bc sphere. I was changed too. I can tell you that i had quite a few "f**k you" tantrums when i wanted to do something,  wanted to know if others wanted to do it and they remained non committal. I had things to do and i had my tantrum and did what i wanted. I expressed to my gp that i felt others were "behind me" and i couldnt connect to them. Thankfully this has eased a bit but one friendship has been lost along the way as the persons expectations of what i shouldve done for them during treatment and what they wanted from me couldnt be met. I was upset but now i feel freed from that burden. 

Anyway, what your experiencing isnt wrong you just have to move through and process it. Im still reassessing my life. Its not all "bam i know how to do it" it takes a bit of figuring out over time.