Financial Assistance

DebbieB
DebbieB Member Posts: 2 New Member
Hi, I am new to BCNA as I was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  I have had two operations (lumpectomy) and now need to have a mastectomy.   I have used all of my current work sick leave and do not have any leave left to take.
Is there anyone out there that can talk me through the process of getting any of my superannuation out.   I seem to be hitting brick walls no matter which way I try.
Thanks Deb

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi Debbie welcome to the club no one wants to join.  What state are you In?  I'm not sure if different states have different rules.  In Victoria there is an organization called think pink.  If you email them they do have a financial advisor who works with them  from time to time who may be able to help you.  
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Extracting your super is a pain in the arse; they really don't like you doing it, however if you genuinely in financial distress, it is possible. For the most part, you have to prove you are skint, or dying. Regarding the brick walls, are you getting consistent replies, or does the information vary every time you try? If there are inconsistencies, you can be pretty sure that you are being given the run-around. Take notes and keep records of who you spoke to and what they told you.

Persistence is the only way. Keep harping. I managed to release $10K of mine during treatment a few years ago, but not until I'd been on the dole for 6 months. If you haven't registered for benefits, bite the bullet and do it this afternoon.

I'm not sure if the changes to the rules which were made last year regarding super access are still in place. That's a very specific question that you need to ask your fund.

Also, check if you have any income protection attached to your policy.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    So sorry to see you here and finding yourself in these dire straits.  Have you spoken to your boss about options? Maybe using any spare annual leave as well?   

In this Covid World we live in just now, I think they made it easier to access superannuation ..... but here is an 'older link' that @iserbrown put up a few years back now ..... that may help.
     http://www.superguru.com.au/manage-your-super/accessing-super-in-tough-times

And a BCNA fact sheet
    https://www.bcna.org.au/media/3667/bcna-fact-sheet-superannuation-2016.pdf

If you put 'accessing superannuation' in the search bar on the Discussions Page - a HEAP of threads will pop up if you want to check them out!

All the best - i hope you are able to sort this out without much more stress. Take care xx

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I got money from my super to pay my surgeon. I had to provide 3 forms and an invoice. 
  • DebbieB
    DebbieB Member Posts: 2 New Member
    I’m in Brisbane.

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Hi Debbie, sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.  You may have the income protection component attached to your Superannuation Policy, and you may be able to receive up to 75% of your income paid to you monthly over an 18 month period paid to a maximum of two years.  Please have a look at your superannuation policy with a "fine tooth comb", as many people do not in fact realize they have inbuilt Income Protection in their super policy. 

Also you may be eligible to see a Financial Planner (pro bono), and I suggest you ring the Cancer Council line to see if they can guide you in this area.  They were most helpful to me and put my name forward to see a Financial Planner who knows all the "ins and outs" of applying for Income Protection, Centrelink "dilemmas" and Total Permanent Disability.  I can't thank my Financial Planner enough for all the advise and support she gave me through navigating my personal financial situation. 

You didn't say how long your treatment is likely to continue for, if it is a long haul and you are not able to work for a while, then will be worth having conversations with a finance expert before you make any decisions that cannot be reversed.  Sometimes getting out superannuation early is not the best personal permanent solution to a short term problem.  I hope I have helped you a bit.  Take care and stay safe.  xo

• Ausmum2
    Ausmum2 Member Posts: 57
    Hello @DebbieB
    im sorry you’ve had to join the club. 
    @Keeping_positive1 about speaking to cancer council qld and seeking an appointment with the financial planning group service. 
    They were excellent at helping to unpack the insurances in superannuation, the income support that might be available from Services Australia (ie Centrelink) when income streams exhausted and also negotiating debt repayments (mortgage etc) to manage all of the financial issues. 
    A very wholistic and individual service financial picture was provided and advice and guidance given to plan a financial plan for the 12 months to cover treatment and recovery and the journey to health. Then assistance with getting it all in place and running. 

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @DebbieB,
    Great information  and advice above; so I'll just say

from jennyss in Western NSW

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    @Ausmum2 thank you for your comment, that was a clear example of how cancer council helped you.  I had the same experience, they were so helpful.  I even applied for TPD in the end and was successful with that.