Triple Negative preventative medications of reoccurence

Options
Hi everyone I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer December 2020. My oncologist mentioned an injection I could have to stop reoccurence in my bones for the next 5 years, I also have read about this

The use of bisphosphonates to prevent bone metastases remains experimental. Last, bisphosphonates in addition to chemotherapy are superior to chemotherapy alone in patients with stages II and III multiple myeloma and can reduce the skeletal morbidity rate by approximately one half.

Is anyone on this and does it really work.

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    @Suzie82, I have a bisphosphonate (Zometa) infusion every six months for bone health as I am taking an aromatose inhibitor and have osteopenia. I have had 4 so far and the plan is 6. When my oncologist offered it to me for bone strength she said there had been some early research to show that it can help stop bone metastasis as well so to me it was a good option. My bone density has stabilised but whether it will prevent bone metastasis is anyone’s guess. 
  • Suzie82
    Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Glemmis said:

@Suzie82, I have a bisphosphonate (Zometa) infusion every six months for bone health as I am taking an aromatose inhibitor and have osteopenia. I have had 4 so far and the plan is 6. When my oncologist offered it to me for bone strength she said there had been some early research to show that it can help stop bone metastasis as well so to me it was a good option. My bone density has stabilised but whether it will prevent bone metastasis is anyone’s guess. 

Hi Glemmis
    Thank you for sharing your information. It is most informative and helpful. Glad that it has helped strengthen your bone and I hope it acts a preventative for you.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Suzie82 have you joined the facebook group triple negative breast cancer for Australian and NZ sisters  it has great info re super etc... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1166665270079659
  • Suzie82
    Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Suzie82 have you joined the facebook group triple negative breast cancer for Australian and NZ sisters  it has great info re super etc... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1166665270079659

Hi Soldiercrab  yes I have been a member of that group on facebook since my diagnosis thank you for your message much appreciated
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    IF you search in the group for Carmel and superannuation you will find many good resource posts about how to go about it.  Carmel has since gained her wings but her information it great.