Breast cancer recurrence

Pug-lover55
Pug-lover55 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2021 in General discussion
I have been diagnosed with breast cancer recurrence. I had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiation on my left breast in 2004. In 2016 I had a new cancer in my left breast and had a mastectomy followed by chemo and tamoxifen. In 2018 I had a prophylactic mastectomy of my right breast. I had a. Biopsy a short while ago in my left breast which turned out to be cancer. I also have nodules in my right breast . I am having surgery on Friday to remove all the dodgy tissue. I have never heard of any one having cancer whilst still on tamoxifen. Anyone know if this is common?
Tagged:

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Pug-lover55,

How unfortunate this has happened to you. I am sorry you are going through this. I did read on the information pharmaceutical sheet for tamoxifen that it isn't 100% effective stopping reoccurance but no idea of what that reoccurance rate is. I hope your surgery goes well. 
  • Pru
    Pru Member Posts: 7
    Hi @Pug-lover55,
    I don't know how common it is but just wanted to say how tough and disappointing that sounds. You're a very seasoned survivor with the experiences you've had.  Wishing you all the best for your surgery :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    So sorry to hear of this recurrence @Pug-lover55  - you've had a tough time of it.

Sadly AIs don't guarantee that there will no recurrence - just a lesser chance of it.  :( 

All the best for your surgery & ongoing treatment xx. take care xx

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Oh dear sorry to read of your diagnosis!  
    It's a so and so!
    Best wishes for your ongoing treatment 
    Take care
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    As @arpie says, whilst it appears the 5 or 10 years of drugs will prevent a recurrence it is simply not a guarantee.
    Sadly, there are many stories on here which are similar to yours.
    All the best for your surgery and whatever follows.  Keep us updated.
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    @Pug-lover55, do you know if your recurrence is the same type as your original? I had a recurrence while still on treatment but it was a mutation not the same as the kind the drugs I was on was supposed to suppress. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Dear @Pug-lover55 so sorry to see you dealing with this bc beast again.  Wishing you all the best for your treatment.   Sending you a hug.  
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @Pug-lover55 oh, bugger.

I had a recurrence 10 years into Tamoxifen. I can only shrug and think maybe it would have happened after 5 if I hadn't been taking it. I had a DMX after my first diagnosis in 2006 and the shitting thing still came back in my armpit in 2016.

More chemo, more surgery, rads and now AI meds, I'm still alive nearly five years !after. I keep wondering when things will turn turd shaped again, but what more can we do?

There is no magic bullet so we have to take the best advice we can get. It's really disappointing and frustrating when that is not, apparently, enough. Thinking of you. MXX
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    I’m really sorry to hear about this latest recurrence. It’s so hard when you have already fought this off twice. I had a different type of cancer to you but I had progression whilst on treatment for recurrence so I know how hard it is to take. All you can do is keep pushing forward and try and focus on how strong your body is to have carried you this far and how it is going to keep you going. All the best. X
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Sorry to hear. Hugs