Any regrets after going flat?

I'm seriously considering having my other breast off, and going flat.
I don't have a cancer gene, and have not had this recommended for that reason.
But I am finding my remaining breast a nuisance. My bra is always twisting, and when bra less, I have one big  boob.
I'm considering no precise reconstruction and breast reduction.
I will probably give fat grafting a go with no great expectations, perhaps small bumps.
Are there any downsides to going flat, that I may have missed?

Tagged:

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I don’t see a problem with giving fat grafting a go, if you don’t mind having smaller breasts. It’s a less invasive procedure than DIEP with a smaller recovery time, and it’s still your own fat. I also don’t see a problem with going flat. Our breasts don’t define us. It’s really nice if we can still have them in some form, but when it gets too complicated then flat seems nice and simple. 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi @Abbydog,
    I’m in exactly the same position as you- lopsided with fair sized boob. I’ve put up with it for the last 11yrs. My remaining boob keeps growing and I’ve gone up a few sizes with my prosthesis (size 7 to now 9). It used to be important for intimacy but now we don’t care. I worry that I’ll have discomfort after another mastectomy and it’ll be sometime before I can lie in bed on that side.Ofcourse,there’s the obvious big surgery again.They are the only down sides I can think of. If I can get an aesthetic flat closure and then later on get some fat grafting into the concave areas of my present mastectomy then I reckon I’d be ok with it.I have a girlfriend who’s gone flat and she’s happy she did it. Perhaps we’ll hear from more flatties.
  • annajjj
    annajjj Member Posts: 14
    I'm about to find out my surgery date and whether or not I will have both breasts removed. For me it is important that they take both as I feel like this will be less traumatic for me that having one remaining breast. Although I understand this is a deeply personal choice and some people feel just as passionately that they only have the cancerous breast removed and retain the 'good' breast. I hope whatever choice you make it works for you xx
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    Dear TonyaM,
    Previously I had thought breast reconstruction as an almost expected progression.
    Most of the breast reconstructions require sacrificing other tissues eg fat, skin and muscle.
    The mastectomy to go flat is a smaller operation, than most reconstructions.
    I'm hoping it will be a little easier, as I wouldn't need an axillary clearance.
    The fat grafting is day surgery, and comes with liposuction each time. Although not enough to cure my abdomen entirely.
    I'm still considering options. Being flat with bra and prosthesis for outings and special occasions, seems carefree.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Flat since Oct 2012 and love it .... 
  • Abbydog
    Thanks ladies, these are my thoughts too. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm a uni-boober @abbydog so not sure if my opinion cuts it.  I don't have any issue with bras other than that I hate wearing them but am in a position where it looks decidedly odd if I go outside the house without one.  If the bra thing is causing you so much difficulty and discomfort, I can't see why you wouldn't get rid of the other boob and it will save the annual anxiety.  Of course, any surgery comes with risks and you may want to think about the style of clothes your favour as women's clothes are often designed to shape around breasts (sounds vain but as an adult you will have developed your style of dress that expresses how you present to the world).  Always two sides, unfortunately, but I think in your position I would probably opt for going flat.
  • Abbydog
    I’m becoming more certain. Thanks
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    As another uni-boober, I’ll merely reflect that being fitted for a prosthesis and a mastectomy bra was the first time I had been professionally fitted for a bra in a long time. Made a lot of difference! I’m not keen on more surgery after a year long seroma or needing a big wardrobe change but I’d do it in a flash if anything suspicious was found in my remaining breast. 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi @SoldierCrab,
    Do we have a flatties group here at BCNA online network? Maybe we need one-  just a thought.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi @TonyaM Not that I know of ....... this is a facebook group I help moderate for flatties 
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/bcnoffaaduaustralia
    Breast Cancer & Beyond- No recon, Flat, foobs and alive Down Under (Aust) - This closed group is for anyone who has undergone a mastectomy and is now learning to live with
    NO reconstruction, or chose to wear foobs.
    did you choose not to have reconstruction?
    did you have to reverse your reconstruction?
    are you contemplating it?)
    Whatever the case, we would love to see you here
    Many of us can understand the day to day issues unique to living without reconstruction following mastectomy, in Australia. We can figure it out together.
    So feel free to open up and have a vent or express yourselves in any way you need to! We do not judge or discriminate! We believe in embracing each other and accepting each other's differences! No matter what!
    You need information about services or where to go for foobs etc just ask.
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    Hi @Abbydog, I am in the same boat and also starting to consider having the remaining breast removed. I have been lopsided now for 3 years and have no prosthetic. I have trouble with bras as I find them uncomfortable at best and usually actually painful. I am not able to have a reconstruction so am feeling a bit stuck. Am beginning to feel totally flat and at least even might be the way to go. 
  • Abbydog
    Dear StarGirl,
    I wonder why you haven't tried your bra with a prosthetic?
    It is fully covered by Medicare.
    Aside from this the bra still annoys me with the prosthesis.
    I am suitable for the Latissimus Dorsi. But that is significant surgeries.
    And I would also need a breast reduction on the remaining side. 
    A Mastectomy seems a lot less surgery.