Starting a local support group

Siparc
Siparc Member Posts: 2
I recently attended a breast cancer support group which was great. I liked how many of the women had been meeting as a group for around 20 years. They shared their past experiences and supported us other women who have had more recent breast cancer experiences. It left me feeling more confident in the years ahead for me. I felt empowered and understood.
The group was a friendly supportive catch up in a cafe. I loved the relaxed and caring atmosphere.
The down side was that the group meet in areas that are 30-40 minuted from where I live. It appears there are no support groups in my local community so I am looking at starting a group where women can catch up once a month at a local Cafe. I hope to create a group similar to what I attended that can offer support now and for years to come.
I wanted to reach out to see if anyone here has started a local support group and if there are any tips or insights you can offer.
I am located near Emerald Victoria and am looking at starting a group for women in the Eastern Dandenong Ranges and Hills suburbs. I aim to offer a friendly catch up where woman can share their stories if they want to or simply catch up for a social chat  and meet some new friends who have had a similar experience. If you live in my area feel free to reach out.
Any recommendations anyone may have please feel free to share.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Welcome to the group, @Siparc ... the group that no-one really wants to join  :(   Feel free to add a bit about your own story ... 

If you add your town/area in your profile - by clicking on your 'user name' & then the 'little person' to the left of the profile pic "edit Profile'' ..... then ask the mods (you can message them or tag them in this post (by putting @bcna in the post) to add your town name/area to the Topic - you should get more specific replies from people in your area.

Good luck xx

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited June 2021

I helped start Bosom
    Buddies in Bathurst NSW we see ladies from bathurst oberon lithgow and
    surrounding areas. happy to answer any questions. 

what type of BC did you have ?

reason I ask is I help fun some Facebook
    groups for BC triple negative and we have ladies in different areas across
    Australia and NZ who then have coffee meet ups 

Happy to help you out 

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    It might also be worth contacting your local Cancer Council. 
    A few years ago I got involved in the early days of a local lymphoedema support group.  Because my lymphoedema is BC related I went and did a NSW Cancer Council course on running cancer support groups which wad really worthwhile 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Siparc also check in with your Breast Care Nurse they might know of local groups for you to join 
  • Richo2
    Richo2 Member Posts: 4
    hi, I’m in Croydon and am also looking for a support group.  Did you have any luck setting one up?
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I facilitate a support group in the Hills area in north west Sydney.Initially I did the community liaison course with BCNA and have attended Cancer Council workshops on running a support group.I registered my group with both organizations so a group name is helpful. I also liaised with my local breast care nurse and then gradually with other local groups. Cancer council and BCNA both have good booklets on info for starting up a group- you could ring and get a copy?
    There are guidelines regarding a group agreement and confidentiality.
    My group is fairly structured ie. I give half an hour for all to arrive and grab a cuppa and then I start with apologies, housekeeping,recent info/news and then we go around the table with everyone having’air time’. If it’s just a small group at a cafe then it’ll be less formal and possibly a free for all. I’ve been lucky enough to have the use of the local CWA cottage - we pay a small rent for a few hours. I provide morning tea. It’s great because it’s more private if we want to laugh or cry or flash! I keep everyone in the loop with a monthly email as some can’t come if having treatment or working.
    You’ll probably need a’wingman’ if your group grows and for whatever reason,you can’t make it to the cafe.
    I’ve found morning tea to be the best time as people are fresh,it’s quieter than lunchtime and it then gives you the rest of the day.Best wishes xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Which state, @Richo2?  Most states have a Croydon.  You can check here if there is already one operating in your state ...
    https://www.bcna.org.au/services-and-support-groups/services/31400

You can add your town to your profile .... then others in your area can put up services & support info that relates to your town xx. All the best

• Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 110
    While searching for something else i came across your last year post Sipac. Hope you have been able to find a zoom group or got involved in some of the  great melbourne Think Pink zoom support  groups or classes. I have been running a support group in sydney for the local st george and sutherland shire area ladies for 14 years, with the help of our breast care nurses.I only occasionally sign into this network to check for updates and news to share. I have a facebook page i check everyday if you need any ideas feel free to contact me there.https://www.facebook.com/sutherlandshirebreastcancersupportgroup