Prosthesis give away

Liong
Liong Member Posts: 9
Hi lovelies,
I am not doing breast reconstruction after double mastectomy.  Looking for any give aways. I wear a size 3 or 4 for bra size 12B. I am not on Medicare because I am on a temporary resident work visa but on private health insurance Bupa who does not cover any reimbursement or refund for the prosthesis. I live in South Australia. Would appreciate very much for this donation. Thank you in advance. Joyce

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Hi Joyce. I don’t have a prosthesis, but I sincerely hope you find some. Glad your surgery is done 👌🏻😊
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,267
    I hope you are able to have this donated. I am not able to help you. Have you phoned bcna or the  foundation or cancer cancel. Might be options available through those channels. Best wishes to you.
  • Liong
    Thanks Cath will do
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @liong there is a charity called Knitted Knockers (Google if interested) who make soft cotton 'foobs' that will fill a bra. They are also, I've been reliability informed by a couple of close friends, a lot lighter, cooler and more comfortable than the silicone 'chicken fillets'. No use if you want to swim (apparently they tend to escape and are tragic when wet) and might not be quite as stylish in close fitting clothes.

You can download a pattern from their website if you, or someone you know, are crafty and want to try them until something more conventional.

Hopefully you can source something affordable. Mxx
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @liong I would also recommend knitted knockers.  They  are $10 a pair plus postage.
  • Locksley
    @Zoffiel I have used knitted knocker for swimming until I can afford the swim prosthesis.   I peg it on the clothes horse to dry.   So far it's been ok.  I am nervous it will escape and float away but the gap from having no boob is so big I need something.
  • Liong
    Hi, does anyone know where I can buy secondhand ones if available please. Thank you, Joyce
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited June 2021
    I have heard also that knitted knockers can be a good alternative.  Here is the website below, perhaps they can give you more information.  Also your breast care nurse may be able to assist you with any further information or make enquiries on your behalf.  

Knitted Knockers Australia – Free 100% knitted COTTON Prosthesis for Breast Cancer survivors who have had a mastectomy.

• Locksley
    Maybe it was just the postage that was $10.00.  Sorry my brain is foggy  sometimes.
  • Liong
    The knitted knockers-It is free just have to pay for the postage
  • Liong
    The breast surgeon ask me to contact bcna
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    "Prosthesis – Knitted Knockers Australia" http://knittedknockersaustralia.com/prothesis/

Free
    You just pay postage 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @liong I'm a bit surprised that you can't get any cover for a prosthesis from your Bupa.  I'm not with them so I could be very wrong and it may be about level of cover.  Just be aware that the question seems to confuse some of the lovely people who take the enquiry calls.  I have been told that I don't have cover and when I challenge it (asking what has changed), I have eventually been put on to someone higher up the chain who knows the finer print and has agreed that I actually do have cover for it.  Not saying that you do but worth double-checking.  Of course, with any of these things there is likely to be an excess involved.
  • Liong
    Hi, thank you for your message. Bupa don't cover because I don't have any extra covers.