Radiotherapy

Troods
Troods Member Posts: 9
edited June 2021 in Health and wellbeing
I have just completed 5 weeks or 25 rounds of radiotherapy following a mastectomy.  I was fortunate enough to have been told about this amazing Strata XRT gel which I used twice a day during treatment and 30 days post treatment.  My skin is amazing and I did not suffer any burning or issues at all during radiation.  
Unfortunately I over ordered the gel and I have 2 x 50g brand new unopened tubes of the gel that I am willing to sell at half the price that they cost to buy.  Please let me know if you are interested or know anyone that is interested in using the gel.
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    Excellent @Troods!!  Terrific that you had a good result with the gel!! 

I hope that someone takes you up on your offer of buying your excess gel - but just remember that the area will remain 'warm' for the next few weeks & you should be continuing using your gel for that period.

All the best xx
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Can you use strata xrt with mepitel film?
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @Halla it’s either one or the other. No cream is necessary with Mepitel. Only when you take it off, you can moisturise but with much cheaper creams. Are you having radio? 
  • Halla
    edited June 2021
    Yes I am @FLClover, it starts next week (finally) . I’m wondering if I need to order anything in! 
  • FLClover
    Oh good! @Halla You can finally get it done 👌🏻. You shouldn’t need to order anything, the clinic should provide it. Just insist, and say you’ve read about fantastic results with it so you need to have it. Mepitel is slightly cheaper, I think. 
  • Halla
    I have tried to ask the hospital about it but they are being a bit cagey! I’m in the public system for this, so it’s hard to actually contact anyone to talk about it...but the registrar said he would put it in my file that I wanted it...the ladies  who did the planning session said they usually only use it on mastectomy patients as it sticks better to the flat surface...but I have read all the bcna comments and so I’m going to insist!
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Halla Good luck with your radiation therapy.
  • Halla
    Thanks @Locksley 🙏🏻
  • FLClover
    @Halla I was also a public patient at a private clinic. My onco said they didn’t like using it, so I ordered my own. When I brought it in, the radio therapists were looking at me like I was a Martian. One of them said he hadn’t heard of it in 20 years in the industry. I persisted and so they used it. A couple days later my onc told me not to order any more, cos they’d supply it. At the end of my treatment, I became ‘famous’ at the clinic cos of the fantastic results. My onc and nurse couldn’t believe how good my skin looked. She said I converted them and they started using it regularly from then. Btw, I had mastectomies but with expanders, and it still worked fine. You’ll see in the pics I sent you 👌🏻.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I was in the public system and asked about Mepitel.  Was told that they had some in the cupboard but never used it.  Nurse was happy to give it a go (not sure the later nurses were quite so keen as it does take a little while to put on).  I had no skin breakdown and just a small sore red spot that appeared 3 weeks after treatment, on the tender skin on my side - from memory, I don't think the film went around quite that far.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    I was in the Private system and everyone was offered Mepitel as standard if they were suitable. I was not suitable as I had a large skin fold ( to be rectified in my stage 2 reconstruction) after my mastectomy.
    I was told about strataxrt but I had to send away for it ( they gave me a discount voucher) it was remarkable I had almost no adverse skin effects following my use of it.
    It was quite expensive but worth it for me.
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    I was in the public system and they poo pooed my attempts to talk about mepitel or strata xrt. They told me that sorbelene cream was “just as good”. I insisted and they gave me a discount code to buy some strata xrt and I’m so glad I did! There was a small section on my back that I missed doing until the very end and it just got regular moisturiser. At the end, that spot was the only part that had any sign of redness, the rest was perfect. They all commented on how great my skin held up. I can’t rave enough of how good it was to use it. 
  • FLClover
    @Lythe I am SO happy you stood up for yourself and insisted!!! Being told normal moisturiser is just as good is total bs. They just want to save themselves the money and fuss. But they’re not the ones who have to put up with burnt skin and excruciating pain that comes with it! 😠. It’s no secret that medical professionals can be bullies and lie in their own gain. If a person doesn’t stand up for their own rights, they’ll get nowhere in this world 🤨🤔. 
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Totally agree with FLClover .
    I was seen as a public patient at a private radiation service ( our health service outsources on a regular basis ). I asked for it . ( note I was a post lumpectomy patient -sometimes I’ve seen comments about it only suits mastectomy patients but that’s not strictly correct ). 
    It did try and peel off around edges in some areas and did require patching / redo of some sections but worked very well . Had to,shower carefully and not get it saturated/ ‘wet . By end of week  4 I did develop,a small rash on my chest under the mepitel that nurse told,me was probably as I’d had a bit sun exposure/ sunburn prior to radiation but it responded well to a week of steroid cream . Rest of chest was great -no burn/blistering. I did apply moo goo to radiation area  once mepitel removed .I now make sure I tell other ladies about it and for them to consider it 
  • FLClover
    @noosa_blue150 👌🏻👌🏻 Good on you 😁. I’ve also read that it’s mainly meant for mastectomy patients. I had a double mastectomy but with expanders, so my breasts stood firmly on my chest like round bricks and definitely made it harder to apply. One of the therapists even made a joke about it and I was pissing myself laughing on the table 😆. Fun times. So if they could manage it on me, they can manage it on others with lumpectomies. I actually got confirmation from my beautiful rad onco and nurse that the reason they didn’t offer it prior was cos lots of patients were too fussy about it and not very nice to the nurses applying it, which I totally understand. But then again we are the ones that get burnt as I said, so I guess it’s a matter of finding balance between fussiness and patience and kindness.